aberdeen-music

400 plus valves

sploot

i went with jj's. they sound great, they are cheaper and last aaaaaaaaaages longer than most valves (which is handy when you have 16 to replace). Harmas are Watfords own valves and I have heard that they sound sucky in this amp

scotty blessed now owns my 400+ and makes it sound better than I ever did. he posts as UNBROKEN on here.

try JJ's to start with.

how long you had your 400+ plus for?

do you know that the amp follows the same rules as the old fender bassman in regards to EQ?

In that it is a naturally mid scooped amp? So Flat on this amp is MID at 10, Bass at 0 and treble at 0.

Rumour has it that mesa used their shite chinese made tubes to get the voicing for the amp.

Also hear if you replace the drive tube from a 12AU7 to a 12AX7, it makes the EQ a lot more responsive. I have a 12AX7 ready to go into the amp to try this, just havent done it myself yet.

Thanks for that.... have had the amp 18 years just used Boogie valves , no real problems just price .

Would be grateful if you could tell me who supplies JJ's , understand about the bassman pre amp design .

Harma's in my opinion emasculate the amp somewhat ....lower output , reduced bottom end .

I refitted the Boogie valves , and feel I can make these comments , but the Boogies are in need of replacement .

Thanks for yor help .

try the JJ's.

And get your amp serviced by a guy called Dennis Marshall if you don't already.

EMERSON WILLIAMS - Home

He is brilliant, he will fit the JJ's for you.

MySpace.com - We Shall Be Blessed - Aberdeen, UK - Death Metal / Down-tempo / Grindcore - www.myspace.com/weshallbeblessed

thats what JJ's sound like when driven hard in a mesa 400+