aberdeen-music

Clarinet?!?!

lateralus

With a recent and somewhat bizarre fascination for the clarinet,

Ive came to the conclusion that i seriously want to play this instrument. anyone out there selling one or know where i would be able to get hold of something relatively decent on the cheap - just so that i can make sure i really really want to get one. Is it quite easy/enjoyable to learn??. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've got a battered old one I sometimes use for recording.....I found that if you can squeeze a few notes out of a sax you'll manage the same with the clarinet. I suppose (like most instruments) it'd be hard to learn to play it properly, but I've always found it good fun.....and nowhere near as frustrating as a flute!!! I just treat it like a recorder....you'll get the hang of the reed fairly quickly.

I've got a battered old one I sometimes use for recording.....I found that if you can squeeze a few notes out of a sax you'll manage the same with the clarinet. I suppose (like most instruments) it'd be hard to learn to play it properly, but I've always found it good fun.....and nowhere near as frustrating as a flute!!! I just treat it like a recorder....you'll get the hang of the reed fairly quickly.

Give me a buzz if you need any clarinet. Ps above if you find one give me a shout and I'll make sure you are going in the right direction. It is actually a very hard instument to play but with a few pointers it should help!!!

Beautiful instrument

Clarinet is pretty easy... No-one should have any bother picking it up.. I played in a Jazzband for a few years... it was fun! but I lost my clarinet at a party years ago... :( Only 1 note at a time so plenty of time to think about how and what you are playing.... Bit like the bass really in that respect! :D The only thing that was a bit bizarre with it is that it's in B flat... so all the notes were out of sync with everyone else (apart from the trumpets w00t!) but that doesnt matter if you are just picking it up to play a few toones by yersel... :up:

Give me a buzz if you need any clarinet. Ps above if you find one give me a shout and I'll make sure you are going in the right direction. It is actually a very hard instument to play but with a few pointers it should help!!!

Beautiful instrument

Hey thaks for that - can you tell me where the best place to get one in aberdeen is??? also can you maybe recommend some good beginers clarinets(Im assuming you know a little bit - seen as you play one).

Cheers - Lateralus

Hey thaks for that - can you tell me where the best place to get one in aberdeen is??? also can you maybe recommend some good beginers clarinets(Im assuming you know a little bit - seen as you play one).

Cheers - Lateralus

You'll be wanting a plastic one to start with. Good make to look for is Boosey and Hawkes. Worth taking a wander past cash converters, they sometimes have one in the window... don't pay too much for it though! Check out Bruce Millers too.

Online check out John Myatts, they recondition second hand instruments.

Good luck with finding one!

My one is by F. Buisson.....having just checked it out I discovered it probably has a different 'key' system (didn't realise 'til now there are variations).

Found this description on a forum:

"You description is too vague to really help you much. It is probably an old Albert system, Mueller system or simple system. Here's a quick guideline to help you but it is not infallible.

Albert system: Three trill keys on right side of upper joint rather than the Boehm system of four. Only two levers on the lower joint for each of the little fingers to operate. The pinky levers may or may not have rollers. May or may not have rings on upper joint but will have rings on lower joint. On the lower joint, the first hole is open and the second has a pad over it. This is opposite of the Boehm where the first hole has a pad and the second is open.

Mueller system: Similar to Albert but only two trill keys on right side of upper joint. No rollers on the levers for the little fingers. No rings on upper joint but rings on lower joint. First hole on lower joint is open and second has a pad.

Simple system: Fewer keys than the Mueller system but there was a "chain" of development so there was variation. Generally no rings on either upper or lower joint so no padded hole on the lower joint just finger holes and levers for the little fingers.

The chain of evolution was:

Simple system in variations -> Mueller system -> Albert system

The Boehm system is NOT descended from this line but was an independent development. The Boehm system (developed in 1843) actually preceded the Albert system (developed in 1846)."

Interesting if you are into clarinets. I too never realised there were quite so many variations.

Lateralus, let us know how you get on finding an instrument. If it needs some repair there are a couple of places you could put it into.