Radiohead

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss

British Sea Power

Rachel Unthank & The Winterset

Burial

Portico Quartet

Adele

Estelle

...are all on this year's shortlist. I know who'd I like to win but honestly couldn't guess who'll ticke the judge's fancy this year.

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Mercury hat-trick for Monkey man

Laura Marling

Elbow

Neon Neon

Last Shadow Puppets

Radiohead

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss

British Sea Power

Rachel Unthank & The Winterset

Burial

Portico Quartet

Adele

Estelle

...are all on this year's shortlist. I know who'd I like to win but honestly couldn't guess who'll ticke the judge's fancy this year.

hopefully nae british sea power.

Every single one of these artists/bands are shit. None of them deserves an award, with the possible exception that elbows new stuff is allright.

Rachel Unthank and The Winterset are pretty good, so they won't win it.

It'll be Adele or Elbow probably. Or Last Shadow Puppets just so the arctic monkeys guy can win it 3 times in a row.

The only one I've got from that list is Radiohead, and it's a blinder right enuff. If Robert fucking Plant wins then it will just spell the end of what little credibility the Mercury prize has left.

Oi! Lay off Percy!

But really, does anyone actually care about the Mercury? It just seems like an excuse for record companies to put stickers on CD's.

It used to be quite prestigious but now it's all about who the kids with the tight trousers and the floppy hair in Exodus like best. Really, do you honestly think that the Artic Monkeys was the best album of 2006? And the fucking Klaxons? Of every British album made in 2007, the Klaxons was the best one? Don't make me fucking laugh.

Rachel Unthank and The Winterset are pretty good, so they won't win it.

It'll be Adele or Elbow probably. Or Last Shadow Puppets just so the arctic monkeys guy can win it 3 times in a row.

The Arctic Monkeys have only one it once though.

It's pretty hard to guess who they will go for this year, Radiohead have been nominated 3 times (plus Thom Yorke solo once) and have not won, I don't expect that to change (it would be my pick though).

I'm shocked that "Third" didn't make it onto the list.

The only one I've got from that list is Radiohead, and it's a blinder right enuff. If Robert fucking Plant wins then it will just spell the end of what little credibility the Mercury prize has left.

Because that didn't happen when Klaxons won it last year?

We all know that the mercury prize does not reward the best british album of the year, but merely one album from a list of currently fashionable alternative artists with the obligatory jazz and world music options thrown in.

Because that didn't happen when Klaxons won it last year?

We all know that the mercury prize does not reward the best british album of the year, but merely one album from a list of currently fashionable alternative artists with the obligatory jazz and world music options thrown in.

See above post, re: nail and head.