aberdeen-music

Pistol whipped: Lydon entourage's racially motivated assault on bloc party singer

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed. A has been wash out band that made two average albums that still live off of them 30 years on shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as a half decent band that produces good records on a regular basis.

The Sex Pistols only made one album and it's pretty much perfect from start to finish. Bloc Party have made 2 and I own them both and can only think of 1 memorable song between them.

Lydon's stuff with PiL was also largely fantastic, and it was brave stuff to come out with rather than just rehash what the Pistols did.

It's too easy to take the Sex Pistols out of context now, I was too young for them when they were around but when I discovered them in the early 80's they still beat the hell out the shite you were forced to endure at that time in the mainstream charts, Spandau Ballet, Culture Club, Modern Romance, etc. Their 'outrageous' antics seem quaint now when you have folk like Marilyn Manson cropping up on a regular basis.

John Lydon is a man out of time, I don't think he particularly tries to cause a stir for any publicity, he's just a cantankerous twat who like mouthing off but yes, it tends to be a bit embarassing to watch.

The Sex Pistols are one of the best bands of all time. Iconic and a figurehead of the punk movement.

Bloc Party are a mediocre band made to look better because of how terrible modern day music is in Britain.

Just because the Sex Pistols have one album it really doesn't matter. Never Mind the Ballocks is that good that in one LP there is all the music they really needed to create.

Guest idol_wild

Bloc Party are a mediocre band made to look better because of how terrible modern day music is in Britain.

Yep, and I think your man Ian Brown can be put forward as one of the key players in influencing this terrible modern day music.

A voice of a generation, but he couldn't fucking sing.

ian browns a fucking ace vocalist on record though. i'd never go see him live cos his fans are largely morons and his music since the stone roses has been average but the clips i've seen are terrible.

BUT his voice on recorded tracks is one of the best, regardless of how much studio trickery is involved.

Yup. I just wonder how many takes the have to do in the studio!

I had free tickets a couple of years ago at the AECC and the singing was indeed comical, although not as funny as Aziz Ibrahim being taken on stage as a special guest, as if he's some sort of guitar god.

Seriously high bam count as well.

Guest idol_wild
How is that? By forming one of the greatest bands of all time?

I will actually always concede that The Stone Roses have some genuinely well written and arranged songs. But they have influenced a whole host of absolutely horrible sounding modern bands. See Kasabian for one such example.

And I have watched live performances of The Stone Roses, and Ian Brown is an absolute sham. He is total blagger.

rotten johnny?

after hearing the latest single by the 2p in the eye magnet fae the Music Hall gig, erm, Kele fitshisname, I widnae blame Johnny Rotten for starting on him, the vocals near the start are afa like P I L s "This is not a love song " . BUT, it wisnae Johnny that started a the shite fistycuffs shennanigans, so dinna fash yersels . Celebrity death match will nae doot hae it on seen enough . I hope they hae Johnny fighting thon Welsh quine tae, apparenly he said rude things to her, but ye canna beieve athing yer read noo adays, he he he , cheers Biz.

• Upvote 1

When Johnny Rotten claimed 'England has too man foreigners', called a French female reporter a 'fucking whore' and said he voted Tory in the last election, he died in my eyes. I'm a Sex Pistols fan, and that's what makes it hurt even more. I don't think Johnny himself actually started a fight or made the racist comments put towards Kele, I think he's too media-savvy to do that but I don't doubt he laughed and riled up is bouncers into saying those things, it's just another nail in his already heavy coffin.

As Alkaline said, Gruff Rhys is not the kind of guy to make things up, he has literally nothing to gain from taking either side in the argument. John Lydon has become the cartoon that many claimed he always was and it's heart-breakingly sad to have to admit it.

When Johnny Rotten claimed 'England has too man foreigners', called a French female reporter a 'fucking whore' and said he voted Tory in the last election, he died in my eyes. I'm a Sex Pistols fan, and that's what makes it hurt even more. I don't think Johnny himself actually started a fight or made the racist comments put towards Kele, I think he's too media-savvy to do that but I don't doubt he laughed and riled up is bouncers into saying those things, it's just another nail in his already heavy coffin.

As Alkaline said, Gruff Rhys is not the kind of guy to make things up, he has literally nothing to gain from taking either side in the argument. John Lydon has become the cartoon that many claimed he always was and it's heart-breakingly sad to have to admit it.

So England doesn't have too many foreigners? talk about stating the fucking obvious.

As for voting for Tory, maybe he just thought it was a case of better the devil you know. I'm sure Michael Howard would have done a far superior job than that of Blair and Brown (not hard).

Xenophobe :down:

ah of course!

The rise in the threat of terrorism, general hatred of the UK and spiralling gang culture are just some of the benefits of vast immigration.

Feel free to come to the UK everybody! Even if you come here to cause trouble and say how much you hate the country.

Before long Britain won't have any culture left. It will just be a faceless dump.

• Upvote 1

ah of course!

The rise in the threat of terrorism, general hatred of the UK and spiralling gang culture are just some of the benefits of vast immigration.

Feel free to come to the UK everybody! Even if you come here to cause trouble and say how much you hate the country.

Before long Britain won't have any culture left. It will just be a faceless dump.

Britain is already a mix of cultures being made up of several countries in the first place. There's been terrorism in the UK for a lot longer than you've graced the earth and gang culture as well.

Your outlook is very blinkered and Naive.

Britain is already a mix of cultures being made up of several countries in the first place. There's been terrorism in the UK for a lot longer than you've graced the earth and gang culture as well.

Your outlook is very blinkered and Naive.

Over time culture and tradition is built up.

Recently I went to Spain. There I met the locals, the vast majority Spanish. I saw the local culture, I sampled the local food and wine. I visited the local landmarks and historic spots.

Then I came back to a country which appeared to have no identity but it might have been Poland...

I can trace my family tree back 500 years and not once has it appeared to go past northern Ireland, Scotland or england. That to me means something. Immigration is fine to a point but what the Labour government has done is a fucking joke.

Regarding your point about gang culture being here previously, of course it was to some element. But I don't think cities like London were running riot with yardies and what not stabbing and shooting each other over drug money.

• Upvote 1

Guest idol_wild

Recently I went to Spain. There I met the locals, the vast majority Spanish. I saw the local culture, I sampled the local food and wine. I visited the local landmarks and historic spots.

Then I came back to a country which appeared to have no identity but it might have been Poland...

So...what was the British cultural identity before the influx of migrants?

I can trace my family tree back 500 years and not once has it appeared to go past northern Ireland, Scotland or england. That to me means something. Immigration is fine to a point but what the Labour government has done is a fucking joke.

Regarding your point about gang culture being here previously, of course it was to some element. But I don't think cities like London were running riot with yardies and what not stabbing and shooting each other over drug money.

If you don't think Scotland has culture there is definitely something wrong with you. Get out a bit more.

By any chance, do you read the Daily Mail?

ah of course!

I hate all these right wing tossers that have hijacked the Roses.

Peace and Love maaaaaaaaaan.

xxxxxxxxx