aberdeen-music

your gear.

hibbytam

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd update to this great thread!

What sort of tuners are people using. Everyone uses either the boss tu2 or the tu3. All I know is that it's a buffered signal

The polytune 2 stood out for me for being different and seems to get great reviews. And it's true bypass.

What is the benifits of a buffered signal?

If you use lots of pedals, I always find it is good to have a pedal or two in there that isn't true bypass and has a buffer, which gives the TU2 an extra use, other than keeping you in tune. Too many true-bypass pedals can make the high frequencies in your tone start to disappear, and can sound a bit doughy and muddy. Some buffered pedals can sound a bit shit though, but I've never had a problem with signal going through Boss pedals when switched off.

I've also read that you shouldn't put buffers between your guitar and Fuzz pedals, as Fuzz pedals rely on the current between the guitar and the germanium transistors, and buffers obstruct that quite significantly.

I'd never really noticed before until I got a Nine of Swords Hand of God, which is the silliest and most sensitive fuzz pedal I've ever heard, and it generally just doesn't play well with others. Especially buffered pedals. If I have my tuner infront of it, it just growls and screams until it gets its own way. It calms down if I put a few true bypass pedals between the tuner and the Hand of God, but only a little. It really needs to be isolated to be properly usable. The Hand of God is a little shit.

I don't know how to work that fuzz factory! I was thinking of getting a fuzz face too as it's pretty self explanatory on how it works and is a timeless classic! I spent an hour messing around with it yesterday and it's endless fun, but I does like to be first in the signal chain.

Edited by brettthain1

I use the Polytune - it's decent enough.

There's a lot of balls talked about true bypass and buffered pedals - I think that this is probaby true though: http://www.petecornish.co.uk/case_against_true_bypass.html

A lot of my pedals are true bypass, so I use a frederic effects buffer at the front of my signal chain, I think it helps.

That was a good read! I have no idea about these sort of tonal difference. I still like that poly tune, it's jus completely different to what others are using and looks clean and compact!

Just taken delivery of a Sonuus Wahoo, so I am very excited about trying it at band practice tonight.

On the subject of true bypass vs buffered - I don't think it should be as important as some people make out, especially live. You are doing pretty well to notice a difference in your guitar tone with a drummer playing for instance. 

Right guys, I've been ordering my pedals the same way for a long time now, but I am tempted to switch things up a bit in pursuit of new sounds. So here is a wee challenge. How would you organise (guitar > amp) these pedals:

• Boss Tuner
  • Digitech Whammy
  • Boss DD6 Delay
  • Diamond Quantum Leap Delay / muli-effects
  • Boss Phaser copy
  • North Effects Tremolo
  • Zvex Fuzz Factory
  • Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
  • Demeter Uber Driveulator (clean boost pedal)
  • TC Electronics Trinity Reverb
  • Sonuus Wahoo wah pedal/envelope filter

Just in case you think it's important, guitar would be a Fender Stratocaster/Gibson SG into a Sound City 50 Plus amplifier playing through and Orange 2x12 cabinet.

Edited by Jan
  • Upvote 1

I might try:

Tuner

Wah

Delay

Phaser

Trem

Fuzz Factory

Muff

Driveulator

Quantum Leap

Whammy

Reverb

Delay either side of distortion will give a few more options - and I like whammy at the end because it makes weird glitch noises when it's got an effected signal feeding it. Conventional wisdom always puts the wah at the front, I've never used one so that's a guess from me.

• Upvote 1

Tuner

Whammy

Driveulator

Big Muff

Fuzz Factory

DD6

Quantum Leap

Tremolo

Phaser

Wah/Envelope

Reverb

I prefer dirt before mod (except for the whammy, which goes a bit wild) and I tend to stack dirt in order of dirtiness. So boosts/OD, then filth. I find they stack better that way. I don't get much joy out of OD after fuzz.

• Upvote 1