aberdeen-music

your gear.

hibbytam

Bought an Akai Miniak

483089_10151055467551039_1629999296_n.jpg

Took me a few days to get used to the menu functions and controls to start feeling like it was useful but now I'm figuring it out I'm finding it an extremely versatile and useful bit of kit. Shitloads of presets from bass, lead and keys voices to arpeggiated sequences and drum rhythms. You can split the keyboard up and layer voices so you can have beats at one end, sequences or bass in the middle and lead voices at the top. Latch notes (i.e. latch a beat and play over the top of it) and 6 real time controls = tons of fun.

Finding it useful for writing guitar parts as well. It's really easy just to fix a beat and start playing over the top of it. Brilliant little box.

?ui=2&ik=480010f5ac&view=att&th=13a260154561adf6&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1414798811605237760-1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9eHMWJ1kW68PuEJ99UvFAJ&sadet=1349257506805&sads=rKCKKhKeLtaFHf2m6xFKjSXYvEg

My most recent addition.

A Black Arts Toneworks Coven.

Probably one of the finest fuzz pedals on the market today, hand built by one guy and brilliant finishes on all of their products. This specific pedal is a mix of their Pharoah pedal and the Black Forest pedal. (The Black Forest's paint job is so bloody good.) Lots of features, lots of switches and knobs. Lots of fun, and most importantly, LOTS of good tone!

I highly recommend that you check him and his pedals out.

- someone demoing the Pharoah. (well)

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlackArtsToneworks?feature=CBwQwRs%3D and his personal youtube channel where he demos all of his own pedal, showing you exactly what they were built for.

• Upvote 1

?ui=2&ik=480010f5ac&view=att&th=13a260154561adf6&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1414798811605237760-1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9eHMWJ1kW68PuEJ99UvFAJ&sadet=1349257506805&sads=rKCKKhKeLtaFHf2m6xFKjSXYvEg

My most recent addition.

Probably one of the finest fuzz pedals on the market today, hand built by one guy and brilliant finishes on all of their products. This specific pedal is a mix of their Pharoah pedal and the Black Forest pedal. (The Black Forest's paint job is so bloody good.) Lots of features, lots of switches and knobs. Lots of fun, and most importantly, LOTS of good tone!

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlackArtsToneworks?feature=CBwQwRs= and his personal youtube channel where he demos all of his own pedal, showing you exactly what they were built for.

Did you import the pedal? I was eyeing up a Pharoah a while ago as a fuzz option but with international shipping it fairly bumped up the price.

Did you import the pedal? I was eyeing up a Pharoah a while ago as a fuzz option but with international shipping it fairly bumped up the price.

Yeah man, I bouth it directly from B.A.T. and he did me a good deal.

That said, I found a Pharoah on ebay for around £95 shipped. I thought that was a pretty good deal like!

The tone on You Fail Me is crushing. Pure filth. How much did that set you back?

I'm constantly on the look out for a good distortion pedal that can drive an already slightly driven amp, but I'm always underwhelmed.

It just depends on the actual kind of distortion you want. There are a few great pedals out there that saturate your amp to be that little bit fuller. What I find with this exact pedal is it doesn't colour your guitar sound, or your amp sound, so basically it's just phat as fuck, thick overdriven filth.

I got it second hand from our bass player, although he has only had it since June. I paid £150 for it.

These have been discontinued for years, although now recently reissued as the much smaller SDT-2, but they don't have a transformer in them, so I would assume it would HAVE to sound different.

There is a Japanese website that sells them (the SDT-1) second hand for between £120-£180 depending on the condition, then you have shipping on top, then you have to get it converted to UK voltage just so you can use it. I believe this involves a transformer change. So if you were to buy one from there, I reckon you would be looking at around £220 - £250 all in.

If you are about town tonight, I'm jamming at toms at 8 o clock, so if you come down sharp, I can let you have a blast, see what you reckon.

My most recent addition.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlackArtsToneworks?feature=CBwQwRs= and his personal youtube channel where he demos all of his own pedal, showing you exactly what they were built for.

As much as I like the sound of it and am willing to believe it is awesome. That fuzz demo sounds like it has too many volts going to it for my liking. I'd recommend experimenting with less supply voltage. I gathered from the video it has one silicone and one germanium transistor? My Earthquaker Devices Hoof Fuzz has one of each like that and is completely awesome. I experimented with the 'sag voltage' control on my power supply (Voodoo Labs PP2+) until it sounded a bit nastier and more controlled in the bottom end without losing too much sustain, alternatively really crappy dying batteries can do the job.

• Upvote 1

Once again the strings are far too thin in here. Allow me to redress the balance:

01_all.jpg

A 1985 G&L El Toro. Quite a rare beast. And beastly loud it is too.

02_body.jpg

Matching headstock for the win :)

03_head.jpg

I've got a bit of work to do on it (I think the bass pot is bust - it's acting like a switch - all bass or none after about 20% travel). I'm going to have fun finding a 1MOhm reverse audio (anti-log) pot. In the mean time, what a shame it is to be stuck with maximum bass ;)

• Upvote 1

Until I can get a cab (hopefully in the next few weeks unless someone is selling a cheap one, waiting on tax rebate and a guitar to sell :()this is my rather cute, but incredibly useless rig. Almost tempted to get one of those PPC108's they sell with the micro terror to keep up the small head/even smaller cab idea. Looks nifty. There is a DI output from the Little Rock but I need to phone Matamp and ask if it acts as a dummy load so I can safely use it without a cab.

269039_10151050955366695_1784320558_n.jpg

3 switches?

Yup, more G&L madness:

Black switch - pickup selector

Red switch - bass boost (defeats pickup selector, connects both pickups in series, engages additional capacitor to filter out certain frequencies)

White switch - passive/active

Mind you that's only 8 effective combinations - not quite as mad as my modded L-2000

Switch 1 - pickup selector

Switch 2 - parallel/single coil (inner)/series

Switch 3 - passive/active/active with treble boost

27 combinations :)

Yup, more G&L madness:

Black switch - pickup selector

Red switch - bass boost (defeats pickup selector, connects both pickups in series, engages additional capacitor to filter out certain frequencies)

White switch - passive/active

Mind you that's only 8 effective combinations - not quite as mad as my modded L-2000

Switch 1 - pickup selector

Switch 2 - parallel/single coil (inner)/series

Switch 3 - passive/active/active with treble boost

27 combinations :)

Cool!

What are those pickups all about? It actually looks like a well nifty bass, is the neck nice and chunky? You know how much I like a maple fretboard too!

Cool!

What are those pickups all about? It actually looks like a well nifty bass, is the neck nice and chunky? You know how much I like a maple fretboard too!

4 individually adjustable pole pieces per string - too much? ;) Neck is definitely chunky, but not baseball bat like either.

• Upvote 1

Until I can get a cab (hopefully in the next few weeks unless someone is selling a cheap one, waiting on tax rebate and a guitar to sell :()this is my rather cute, but incredibly useless rig. Almost tempted to get one of those PPC108's they sell with the micro terror to keep up the small head/even smaller cab idea. Looks nifty. There is a DI output from the Little Rock but I need to phone Matamp and ask if it acts as a dummy load so I can safely use it without a cab.

269039_10151050955366695_1784320558_n.jpg

Man, I thought the coffee-table-esque Verellen perched atop my 1x12 looked kinda wonk. Reverse stack revolution!