aberdeen-music

your gear.

hibbytam

My "digital" project studio, like any other, involves a lot of "analogue" cabling. I have balanced TRS cables running between my audio interface, my mixer, and my monitors, and in a "digital" studio environment where there may be lots of electromagnetic interference generated by devices such as computers, displays, powersupplies etc balanced cables are are essential. I used some fairly cheap generic (as I said I forget the brand) cabling and I have zero problems with noise, to the extent that I don't need to mention the cables or their brand name in my list of gear because I take for granted that people don't give a shit about such trivial things - unless of course you're a long haired student with a guitar, amp and 100mm plectrums.

That's what i thought you meant.

Have you actually tried better quality cabling to see whether it makes a difference? You never know maybe your stuff could sound better using non-generic cabling. Maybe you're just lucky with cables. Maybe the short runs of cabling you're likely to use don't expose as much in the way of flaws as they would if they were longer runs. Maybe your other equipment is well shielded in the first place.

So many variables.

That's what i thought you meant.

Have you actually tried better quality cabling to see whether it makes a difference? You never know maybe your stuff could sound better using non-generic cabling. Maybe you're just lucky with cables. Maybe the short runs of cabling you're likely to use don't expose as much in the way of flaws as they would if they were longer runs. Maybe your other equipment is well shielded in the first place.

So many variables.

No, I haven't tried using "better quality cabling" because I'm completely satisfied with the cheap balanced cables and there is no perceptible level of hiss present at the fixed mixer gain I use to monitor, and absolutely no electromagnetic interference. They are 3m cables which hang down in a tangle amongst my dvi/powersupply/usb/etc cables within 3 feet of my main production machine which has a psu and various fans. IIRC I paid 8 quid each for all 6 cables.

Anyway to get back to the original point, who the hell cares what brand of cable, strap or plectrum anyone is using? These are things which nobody in their right might would consider to be important "gear".

Planet Waves leads I have found to be noticably brighter than, for example, Stagg equivalents. Tests were done with a guitar with passive pickups (as to not have a little factor like different battery life on an active pickup come into play), through a transistor amp (valve life) and with all settings on the amp kept consistent. Using the SAME PLECTRUM so that picking intensity didn't have a different effect given that the thickness shapes the tone, same with the force from hitting the strings. :)

Anyway to get back to the original point, who the hell cares what brand of cable, strap or plectrum anyone is using? These are things which nobody in their right might would consider to be important "gear".

Nobody cares except for you. Sure, he wasted a few seconds of his life typing down extra accessories, but you've been ragging on about it for far longer. We get it... you're not a fan of brands.

Be fair, Alkaline - in his usual manner - kept things going unnecessarily with his 'cables are that important' shit. If Stripey's comment really was 'stupid for stupid's sake' he would've let it pass, however the guy clearly has an inferiority complex, demonstrated by continual, desperate affirmations of his own non-existant betterness:

Poor show

What are you gibbering about you absolute buffoon?

you clearly don't understand live music

Clown.

yadda yadda ramblings of someone with the mental capacity of a child blah blah blah

Makes me wonder what Alkaline's real motive is. Oh, could it be...:

Let's just face facts, you're out of your depth for a change.

Try and outwit me some other time. Fail. (from another thread)

:laughing: High Five. You really showed him.

And that goes for a lot of you guys who are constantly telling Stripey how worthless his posts are yet willingly enter these pointless little arguments, usually based not on the subject at hand, but your own try-hard little pledges for one-up-manship. Several pages of bickering is hardly a good way to affirm your often-stated indifference. For a good example of this pettiness, look what happens when you 'LOL' at the touchy one:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/feedback-forum/50301-female-singer-songwriter-but-good-2.html

This gear obsession thing of many guitarists is genuinely outwith the spirit of music and suggesting such minor details as cable brand are important parts of a musician's set-up simply demeans the whole process, of which I personally invest lots of time and energy into. Though obviously there was never any need for this level of analysis and explanation, it's merely the product of Alkaline's need to stand out.

Be fair, Alkaline - in his usual manner - kept things going unnecessarily with his 'cables are that important' shit. If Stripey's comment really was 'stupid for stupid's sake' he would've let it pass, however the guy clearly has an inferiority complex, demonstrated by continual, desperate affirmations of his own non-existant betterness:

Makes me wonder what Alkaline's real motive is. Oh, could it be...:

:laughing: High Five. You really showed him.

And that goes for a lot of you guys who are constantly telling Stripey how worthless his posts are yet willingly enter these pointless little arguments, usually based not on the subject at hand, but your own try-hard little pledges for one-up-manship. Several pages of bickering is hardly a good way to affirm your often-stated indifference. For a good example of this pettiness, look what happens when you 'LOL' at the touchy one:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/feedback-forum/50301-female-singer-songwriter-but-good-2.html

This gear obsession thing of many guitarists is genuinely outwith the spirit of music and suggesting such minor details as cable brand are important parts of a musician's set-up simply demeans the whole process, of which I personally invest lots of time and energy into. Though obviously there was never any need for this level of analysis and explanation, it's merely the product of Alkaline's need to stand out.

Actually, i was just bored. I hit up on you in the other thread 'cause you're a cunt ;)

Well I suggest taking up something a bit more worthwhile than mindlessly trying to get a rise out of people to appease your boredom. Go re-arrange your cables or something.

Noted :up: However it wasn't mindless as there was purpose behind it. If you can point me in the direction of some study that has proved that cheap cabling doesn't affect the quality of analogue signals i'll quite happily read it and take it on board.

I was actually quite interested in coaxing Stripey's set-up out of him though. And to be honest my pop at him was just because he was ridiculing someone's post. I personally feel it generated some useful information for those involved in this thread as it highlighted two opinions about set-up. So, it's not quite as pointless as you've made it out to be.

If you can point me in the direction of some study that has proved that cheap cabling doesn't affect the quality of analogue signals i'll quite happily read it and take it on board.

The study by Dr Me called I-couldn't-give-a-fuck-about-cables-but-when-it-comes-to-guitar-playing-I'll-pwn-you-all. I'd love to hear what some of these guys actually sound like, with all this expensive equipment yet not a single good idea to speak of.

And to be honest my pop at him was just because he was ridiculing someone's post

Who are you? Post police? Just admit it that you're looking for any opportunity to get one over on anyone. Stop posting this circular, hole-digging-out-of rubbish!

The study by Dr Me called I-couldn't-give-a-fuck-about-cables-but-when-it-comes-to-guitar-playing-I'll-pwn-you-all. I'd love to hear what some of these guys actually sound like, with all this expensive equipment yet not a single good idea to speak of.

Who are you? Post police? Just admit it that you're looking for any opportunity to get one over on anyone. Stop posting this circular, hole-digging-out-of rubbish!

Yaaawwwwnnnnn.

Are you bored too?

There's no hole filling going on here. The whole thing was fairly light hearted until you popped up. Even then it's not exactly the end of days now is it?

BASSES

Fender usa precision 2004 - black with maple fretboard and Badass3 bridge.

Fender usa precision 1979 - sienna burst with maple fretboard.8-)

Rickenbacker 4003 1996 - jet black.

Rickenbacker 4003S 1992 -maple glow (bought yesterday for 300).:up:

Hohner 'the jack' - headless bass.

Warwick corvette 2008 (for sale).

Squire Precision bass - with badass bridge and seymour duncan pickups.

Aria pro 2 IGB-SPT

AMPS and Cabs

Trace elliot AH250 MKV (the one with the ultraviolet light)

Trace elliot 1 x 15 cab.

Trace elliot 2 x 10 cab.

Ashdown MAG300 combo

Effects

DHA VT1 Bass purist

Boss TU2

loads of other effects pedals, most i'll be selling in the near future.

Basses:

Fender USA Jazz Bass

Fender Japan Jazz Bass Special w/SD 1/4 pounder p bass pickup and SD Hotstack Jazz Bass Pickup (autographed By Duff McKagan of Guns n Roses and Velvet Revolver, so it's not being played anymore)

Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray (for sale on here)

Amp

Ampeg SVT Classic Head

Ampeg SVT 410 HLF Cab

I don't give a toss what brand of leads or plectrums anyone is using, letalone the finer details of their guitar strap, and frankly anyone who feels the need to mention such things, especially someone who doesn't record or perform, in their list of gear is obviously a complete twunt.

I don't care what keyboard you use to make your shitey dance music :up:

• Upvote 1

Clearly, you're continuing to be a prick.

You know, everytime I read a post of yours, it irks me to the highest degree. It's like you go out of your way to be obtuse. This is actually a decent thread in which people can share what gear they use etc, and you come in and act like an arse. Why? What's the point? Did someone shit in your cornflakes this morning and every previous morning? You know, it wouldn't hurt you to stop acting like a dick once in a while... people might read your posts with a bit of gratitude instead of seeing the name and automatically thinking "uh oh..."

But if you wanna keep being a dick... then carry on. Just do it elsewhere. The Musicians Corner seems to be one of the cooler forums on the board. You obviously being the exception to the rule.

This is actually a decent thread in which people can share what gear they use etc, and you come in and act like an arse. Why?

Well I'm sorry you see it that way, but does anyone really give a fuck what brand of strap someone is using, or want to see an hilarious graphical diagram of their "stack"? What purpose does that serve? As far as I can see this is just a dick swinging contest to determine who has the most twattish guitars and expensive amps, if you think that's what constitutes a decent thread then I feel deeply sorry for you.