aberdeen-music

your gear.

hibbytam

11 hours ago, HateEvent said:

I might be missing something in what you’re asking for, but surely to capture both mixer outs into one you’d just want a 2x mono > 1x stereo cable? https://www.vicsdrumshop.com/planet-waves-planet-waves-10-ft-stereo-1-4-to-dual.html

You obviously wouldn’t get a stereo effect given what it is going to, but at least you wouldn’t lose one side altogether.

That looks like what I probably need. All the split mono to stereo leads I could see seemed to be 2 mono 6.35mm jacks to 1 stereo 3.5mm jack, which seemed weird, and I didn't wanna have to mess with adapters, they can get a bit noisy and unreliable (and super easy to lose).

It still needs to be properly set up. The truss rod, intonation, action, and basically everything needs sorted. But, I've replaced the body of my '87 Jap strat with a 2018 US strat body and it sounds a fuck tonne better. Same colour as before so it still looks proper MEGA too.

A good option for anyone who's not quite happy with a Mexican or something who's thinking about buying an American to get a better sound. I think I was $275 for the body, plus customs (cunts).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did a quick modification to a Boss DS-1 the other day to lower the overall gain and also allow the clipping diodes to be switched in and out.  Swapped the silicon diodes for a pair of germanium ones at the same time. Gives a mellower distortion with less farty ds-1 sound and is just a super loud overdrive/boost with the clipping diodes out. 

b1xuOQp.jpg

Chuffed how it turned out, still to make a name plate for the front but thats not going to be done for a while as I was going to build a cnc router to do it proper. 

Its got a very clean sound as I was going for an old school bass amp but annoyingly it's not quite powerful enough for bass in a band situation (though that could have been due to the overly loud faukers I used to jam with). Plenty loud with guitar, just doesn't distort without an overdrive infront of it.

iHot7sa.jpg

Guitar is a Yamaha SG700S with Seymour Duncan pickups and cab is a 1970's Marshall fitted with 2 x Celestion G12K-85's and 2 x G12M-70's from mid 80's.

eX1BmuI.jpg

o31qIkW.jpg

Pedals wise I have these modded/home made jobs: 

aMbQKwv.jpg

Left is a Big Muff clone with hardwired max sustain and retardedly bassly tone.

In the big muff case is a John Holis Omni-Drive distortion modeller, great distortion pedal, makes heaps of useful sounds just a bit noisey now.

Wah has a subtle tone altering mod, still a normal wah, just sounds a bit more "waaahwah" instead of  "WWWWAAfuckingWAAAAAHH!!!!".

Overall sounds I go for are straight up dirty rock with the occasional blast of saturated metal. Mellowing out these days though and going for more hard overdrive with plenty of "twang" from the Yama-should have bought a telecaster-ha.

Edited by Cabbage

• 3 weeks later...

Getting back into playing over the last year has been a fun but costly business! I’ve still got all my old kit and have cleaned and repaired and set it all up and added a few new basses too. Here’s what I have:

Gear

l-r:

1997 ‘62 reissue Japanese Fender Precision with EMGs and a Badass II bridge

2001 Musicman Stingray 3EQ, translucent teal with Maple neck and matched headstock

2003 US Fender Precision, sunset orange transparent with S1 switching system

2007 Fender Japanese Aerodyne Precision with diMarzio humbucker, P and J pickups and serial/parallel switching and kill switch

Legend upgrade

my first ever bass - a Legend P copy but upgraded with Wilkinson tuners, a high-mass bridge, Fender ‘62 pickups and the neck has been sanded and oiled and plays like a boss

Jazz Specials

2 1985 Fender Japanese Jazz Specials

the red one is in getting a new control and pickup configuration; EMG P and Humbuckers and having a new neck built

the Black one has EMGs and a Badass II bridge

Gear

Teal Stingray (mentioned above)

2000 Musicman Stingray 3EQ in Translucent purple

2007 Musicman Stingray 3EQ in natural

in terms of amps I have this

Trace Elliot head and Gordon Allan 2x15 cab

Trace Elliot head and Gordon Allan 2x15 cab, but I generally practice through a Behringer 4 channel mixer amp with the source material in one channel and my bass in another and use headphones.

I’ve a second board with some of my older pedals on it but the one I use is this one

Gear

l-r, top-bottom there are:

EHX bass clone (chorus)

EHX The Mole (provides low mid boost the cut through of required)

xvive Compressor

boss TU-2 tuner

Dunlop Bass Crybaby 105Q

EHX Little Big Muff (fuzz)

EHX Bass balls (envelope filter and drive)

MXR 89 (Overdrive)

TC Electronics Flasback mini (delay)

TC Electronics Sun n Up mini (octave)

I mean I thought I was collecting a bit much, I don't have delicious pictures to hand but at the moment...

Fender Mustang Bass (US, 1978), in natural finish (my new baby)

Fender Jazz Bass (US, nae sure but around 1996), in candy apple red

Fender Precision Bass (MIM, 2001), in either vintage or yellow white

"Fender" Precision Bass that I think is actually a CIJ Squier from the early 90s that's been rebadged, in sunburst

Aguilar AG500 head

TC Electronic BH250 head

2 x Zilla custom 2x10 cabinets

Ampeg SVT-410HLF cabinet*

Hartke XL 4x10 cabinet*

(*both for sale if anyone fancies it)

That’s nice!! 

I’ve been looking at Aguilar and EA stuff recently; the head and can I have are totally unwieldy and unmanageable for anything other than taking up space in the house, and I’ve heard lots of good things about the smaller stuff that these guys are making. A bass tutor I took a few lessons with used an EA head and cab which were tiny but awesome! Doesn’t come cheap tho!

how did you end up with all the cabs? And what’s the TC electronic head like? I MC’d a battle of the bands last night where they were playing through one and the owner said it was nice but ‘painfully clean’ 

The Hartke is my oldest cab and sat in The Deportees practice room (still does) for years after I sold an Ampeg B5R (I think) head that I had briefly.

It's actually been listed for sale on here for years and I just haven't gotten round to really pushing it. It's been useful in The Deportees room over the last few years for playing my TC head through.

The TC head is actually pretty amazing given it's size and weight. It's very powerful and although lacks the tonal flexibility of my Aguilar, I would genuinely have no reservation about using it live, and have done albeit with a bass EQ pedal to help dial in the right sound.

I acquired the Ampeg cab when I bought a full Ampeg rig (SVT-Classic head), which I also recently sold. There were no takers for the rig as a complete thing so decided to split and the cab is what's left. Born out of a desire to downsize first and foremost, but also found it surprisingly tough to get a really nice sound out of the SVT-CL - it's the daddy of bass amps, of course, but to get that warm Ampeg joy you just have to drive it too hard for any of the applications I have for it. Even on festival stages it's just too loud.

So, the theory was that I wanted to downsize but also have a rig that was a bit more modular, hence the dual 2x10s. Very portable, very flexible and frankly, the venues that we're playing for the most part it's used as a stage monitor only (with the bass being DI-ed). We would mostly take/use our own engineer and so I'm comfortable that the FOH bass sound will be consistent regardless of where we play (if not, the aforementioned EQ pedal helps), so the key thing for me was to be able to use the stage cab to hear myself.

It's all been very positive so far and it is very, very rare that I would use any more than a single 2x10 live nowadays.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...