• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Just got one of these for super cheap:

cN9UAvawfJQv96RDQkdWXj.jpg

Guy at work bought it for his kid. Kid didn't wanna learn to play it. Guy needs to get shot of it. I nab it for £80. Eighty! It's pretty much new, barring a bit of rash on the pickguard from where he's probably strummed it a bit before giving up on it, the ungrateful shite.

It's an Affinity, so I expected it to feel and play like a toy, whilst going out of tune just by looking at it.

WRONG.

It's totally solid. Great tuning stability. Passable electronics (pots a tiny bit scratchy, might swap them if it gets worse). The pickups are very decent too, surprisingly. Medium output with a bit of twang, almost P90-ish, without the noise. Even more surprisingly - the bridge isn't a piece of shit, which is miraculous, as Squier bridges are most likely assembled by drunk toddlers with no fingers. Nice weighty body, feels like it might be Alder. Chunky neck, thicker than I expected.

Top drawer all rounder, to my utmost surprise, as every Affinity I've ever touched has felt like the plastic thing that comes with Guitar Hero. Hell of a lot of guitar for the money, even at it's full price (£200ish?). Stupid, ungrateful shit kid's loss is my gain. 

TL;DR version: Got a new pinch harmonic machine. Cheap as shit. 5 out of 5 for pinch capabilities.

Edited by Soda Jerk
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

Definitely needs new pots. The volume pot just came off in my hand. Control knob with the pole piece stuck in, and now no sound comes out. :eek:

Just got a Seymour Duncan JB for the bridge too, so I'll put it all back together when that arrives.

That's a pretty impressive level of shit craftsmanship!

Xx

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stroopy121 said:

That's a pretty impressive level of shit craftsmanship!

Xx

Squier, innit. There's always a chance something will inexplicably come apart, against all logic. The saddle screws in my Bass VI just wiggled out as I was playing it when I first got it, and the strings slapped against the fretboard as the bridge instantly sank. Those screws were so tiny, I never saw them again. They just became part of the carpet. They're probably still there, in that flat I don't live in anymore.

That said, the Staytrem bridge I replaced it with was a tiptop upgrade. Great piece of kit.

When you're considering swapping pots anyway, the pot exploding in your hand makes the decision for you. Thanks, shit pot.

Edited by Soda Jerk

I'm tempted to trade everything in for the Helix too.  Let us know how you get on with it as I've not heard it in person (just videos) so I'd be keen to know how it deals with a rehearsal/small gig situation.  Are you planning on running it direct into a PA or something like the power-amp of a combo?

12 hours ago, James Broonbreed said:

It didn't state in the advert, but I'm pretty sure it's a Mustang bridge, or at least saddles, fitted.

Can any Jaguar/Jazzmaster owners say if this is an adequate fix for the notorious Jaguar bridge - or is it worth a further upgrade eventually. Those Master ones are fucking hoora expensive.

Any roller bridge should work fine - I used a roller with tusq saddles on my jazzy - the only thing I had to do was screw it right down so it didnt rock back and forwards like a jazzy bridge. Mastery are affa dear but they do work...