aberdeen-music

your gear.

hibbytam

• 2 weeks later...

NBD (New bass day) - Sterling by Musicman SB14 (the Sterling-a-like instead of the Stingray-a-like).  It's very blue and sounds very good indeed.  The three way toggle (parallel, single (hum cancelling), series) is pretty subtle but does make a difference.  The only thing I might do is add a thumbrest where a neck pickup would be - I'll try to play without but it's where my hand naturally wants to go.

01_all.jpg

02_body.jpg

05_downneck.jpg

So yeah, it's blue and it's a bass.  Looking forward to giving it a proper go with the band next week.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Stroopy121 said:

If she had a maple neck she'd be the thing of dreams! I've never tried a Sterling - have you played the EMBB equivalent to compare?

xx

I tried an EBMM Sterling a couple of years ago, I just remember being impressed with how it sounded - loud and assertive.   I've never done a side by side comparison.  My wallet says ignorance is bliss ;)  Picked this one up second hand (the SBMM SB14 has been discontinued so second hand is your only option) so less of a financial outlay/risk, but if the quality of Indonesia built G&L Tribute and Lakland Skylines vs. their USA counterparts is anything to go by then I won't be gassing for a USA EBMM any time soon.  No, it's not perfect, you'll get none of that lush birdseye maple on the neck that so many EBMM instruments seem to sport, the screws for the 3 way switch are in at a bit of an angle and I bet there's two or three ratty bits of basswood under that lush blue metallic finish but to my ears and hands, most of the reasons these basses are cheaper is decorative.

I'm not renowned for my use of effects, but I bought an EHX Bass Soul Food on pay day.  Only had a quick play with it but it seems to do what I hoped - impart a modicum of grit to an otherwise clean bass sound without losing the fundamental "bassiness" of it all.  Blend knob very important.  Seems quite responsive to dynamics (and not clipping your nails, twanggggg!).  Will know more when I take it to a band rehearsal, but I'm pleased with it so far.

bass_soul_food.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stroopy121 said:

I've been using a big muff with the blend settings there to add grit but I think I might just swap that out for a Soul Food, the demos are pretty lovely for that thing!

xx

Used it for the first time in anger at rehearsal last night and it seems to give the bass just a bit more presence and for want of a better word - aggro.  I wasn't using it all guns blazing (which wasn't the point) - once I got the volumes balanced it was Drive, Blend and Treble all at 1 o'clock and that just seemed to impart the kind of edge I was looking for.

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

Used it for the first time in anger at rehearsal last night and it seems to give the bass just a bit more presence and for want of a better word - aggro.  I wasn't using it all guns blazing (which wasn't the point) - once I got the volumes balanced it was Drive, Blend and Treble all at 1 o'clock and that just seemed to impart the kind of edge I was looking for.

Just a wee bit of grit on the bass really helps it cut through a mix, I think. That and having the volume up at 10,000.

xx

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I sold a gold top Epiphone Jack Casady sig a couple of years ago.  That was a mistake.  Nearly went for one of the limited edition white ones, then Epiphone dropped this even nicer limited edition.  Too sparkly to ignore, so I snagged one.

01_all_flash.jpg 02_all_back_flash.jpg

03_body_flash.jpg 04_side_flash.jpg

05_angle_flash.jpg 06_angle1_noflash.jpg

08_angle_2_noflash.jpg

I'm surprised they've sold any of these when you see the stock photography!

POP_JackBR.jpg

Doesn't that just look like a flat blue?  What were they thinking?  Anyway, I took it to a band rehearsal and I was having all sorts of hollow body feedback fun with it.  Good to have you back, buddy.

• Upvote 2

On 6/5/2016 at 2:14 PM, neepheid said:

I sold a gold top Epiphone Jack Casady sig a couple of years ago.  That was a mistake.  Nearly went for one of the limited edition white ones, then Epiphone dropped this even nicer limited edition.  Too sparkly to ignore, so I snagged one.

That does look smart, how is it to play?  I imagine it could be quite "wooly" sounding, possibly better described as a more "vintage" bass tone.  

1 hour ago, Cabbage said:

That does look smart, how is it to play?  I imagine it could be quite "wooly" sounding, possibly better described as a more "vintage" bass tone.  

Does "wooly" mean lacking in definition, devoid of any top end and gets utterly lost in the mix when the rest of the band are playing?  If so then no, it doesn't sound like that.  Quite unusual in feel because it's super light (not a surprise considering it's full of air) but with a big, round body.  No contouring on the edges takes a bit of getting used to as well.  But it doesn't take long to get used to the ergonomics - the lightness is a big bonus for long gigs (or when you're playing two gigs in one night with bruised ribs).  Also get to have bass feedback fun with it if you want - go near the amp with it ;)

10 hours ago, neepheid said:

Does "wooly" mean lacking in definition, devoid of any top end and gets utterly lost in the mix when the rest of the band are playing?  If so then no, it doesn't sound like that.  Quite unusual in feel because it's super light (not a surprise considering it's full of air) but with a big, round body.  No contouring on the edges takes a bit of getting used to as well.  But it doesn't take long to get used to the ergonomics - the lightness is a big bonus for long gigs (or when you're playing two gigs in one night with bruised ribs).  Also get to have bass feedback fun with it if you want - go near the amp with it ;)

Interesting, thanks!  Your description of "wooly" sums up what I would be worried about, I guess the pickup placement helps avoid that.  I was imagining it sounding like tho SG basses with the huge pickup right at the bottom of the neck.

6 minutes ago, Cabbage said:

Interesting, thanks!  Your description of "wooly" sums up what I would be worried about, I guess the pickup placement helps avoid that.  I was imagining it sounding like tho SG basses with the huge pickup right at the bottom of the neck.

Sure, pickup placement helps a great deal, but it also helps that the pickup isn't a mudbucker either (although the most recent SG basses have a TB+ masquerading as a mudbucker) - it's a special low impedance pickup designed precisely for this bass.  I can categorically state that it sounds not one jot like an EB/SG bass.  If you want a woofy/wooly sounding bass - try a Fender Starcaster - two massive humbuckers ("wide range" - riiiiight), one jammed up by the neck heel.  I gigged one once, had to use the bridge pickup to be heard at all and it just wasn't fun.  Also surprisingly heavy for a semi-hollow.  Sold it on.  The JC Sig couldn't be more different an experience in every respect.

I gigged my previous gold top JC Sig a few times and had no worries being heard whatsoever, my biggest trouble was finding a gig bag to fit the damn thing (I don't like hard cases)

• Upvote 1

On 6/5/2016 at 2:14 PM, neepheid said:

01_all_flash.jpg 02_all_back_flash.jpg

03_body_flash.jpg 04_side_flash.jpg

05_angle_flash.jpg 06_angle1_noflash.jpg

08_angle_2_noflash.jpg

I'm surprised they've sold any of these when you see the stock photography!

POP_JackBR.jpg

Doesn't that just look like a flat blue?  What were they thinking?  Anyway, I took it to a band rehearsal and I was having all sorts of hollow body feedback fun with it.  Good to have you back, buddy.

Bringing this to Stonehaven next week? I might see if I can grab a minute with it, s'lovely!!