aberdeen-music

your gear.

hibbytam

As much as I like the sound of it and am willing to believe it is awesome. That fuzz demo sounds like it has too many volts going to it for my liking. I'd recommend experimenting with less supply voltage. I gathered from the video it has one silicone and one germanium transistor? My Earthquaker Devices Hoof Fuzz has one of each like that and is completely awesome. I experimented with the 'sag voltage' control on my power supply (Voodoo Labs PP2+) until it sounded a bit nastier and more controlled in the bottom end without losing too much sustain, alternatively really crappy dying batteries can do the job.

I'd be willing to try it if I could. I mean, it already sounds fantastic, but yeah.

That will be my next purchase, a good power supply so I can start putting a pedal board together. Those Voodoo Labs ones are BLODDY EXPENSIVE though. Jeez.

I'd be willing to try it if I could. I mean, it already sounds fantastic, but yeah.

That will be my next purchase, a good power supply so I can start putting a pedal board together. Those Voodoo Labs ones are BLODDY EXPENSIVE though. Jeez.

Worth it though, no batteries and a lot less noise. Ebay is your friend, I got mine for £85 about six months ago.

• Upvote 1

Also, hoy many can I power off of this, 6 max? Or can I daisy chain them and power more?

You can get PSUs that take up to 10 or 12 on ebay. I can't imagine daisy chaining causing too much of a problem unless they are heavy on the power consumption. Most PSUs I've seen are limited to around 500mA per channel so if you have two pedals running at >250mA you'll have a problem.

xx

Also, hoy many can I power off of this, 6 max? Or can I daisy chain them and power more?

Pedal power 2 has 8 outputs, 9v or 12v and a mix of 100ma & 250ma. You could run 4 standard boss type pedals off one of the 250ma outputs if you really wanted. If you can get away without daisy chaining you'll get less noise, so better to run em all isolated if you can. I run 8 individually off mine and a couple of individual PSU's for the really hungry pedals (eventide, line6, TC etc).

Cool, so if I was to run say 4 Or 5 boss style pedals, a line 6 dl4, and a rat, it should be all good?

I've ran a Line 6 DL4 off a PP2+ before. There is a special red cable that you get with it and you select 'L6' mode on one of your high load channels. Boss pedals hardly require any load, as do most things.

I understand some of the cheaper pedal power supplies are internally the same as a daisy chain, just with individual sockets. I've never had much of a problem with noise running a PP2+ and I'd say it's worth it for piece of mind and also the features, such as different voltages, loads etc. I've noticed that some pedals can optionally be run at 12V or 18V for increased headroom and 'fatness'. I'd recommend looking at the different options for power supplies, as there are a quite a few high end options out there and the features vary to an extent. Mod Tone, T-Rex, Cioks, Eventide, amongst others are worth investigating.

Some people reckon fuzz always sounds best running off batteries. You also get a fair bit of warning during playing when it is about to go as it becomes quieter and eventually gated (unlike a delay pedal, which tends to be hopeless when running off batteries). I've tested the batteries vs the voltage SAG control and ended up opting for the reliability of plugging it into a power supply. When I've left things set up with batteries, I've had pedals accidentally get switched on and drain the life of the batteries.

I've ran a Line 6 DL4 off a PP2+ before. There is a special red cable that you get with it and you select 'L6' mode on one of your high load channels. Boss pedals hardly require any load, as do most things.

I understand some of the cheaper pedal power supplies are internally the same as a daisy chain, just with individual sockets. I've never had much of a problem with noise running a PP2+ and I'd say it's worth it for piece of mind and also the features, such as different voltages, loads etc. I've noticed that some pedals can optionally be run at 12V or 18V for increased headroom and 'fatness'. I'd recommend looking at the different options for power supplies, as there are a quite a few high end options out there and the features vary to an extent. Mod Tone, T-Rex, Cioks, Eventide, amongst others are worth investigating.

Some people reckon fuzz always sounds best running off batteries. You also get a fair bit of warning during playing when it is about to go as it becomes quieter and eventually gated (unlike a delay pedal, which tends to be hopeless when running off batteries). I've tested the batteries vs the voltage SAG control and ended up opting for the reliability of plugging it into a power supply. When I've left things set up with batteries, I've had pedals accidentally get switched on and drain the life of the batteries.

That fuzz I got is power supply only, which is a shame, as I'd like to try the dying batteries trick.

I was looking into potentially getting one of those Diago power supplies, as they are MUCH cheaper.

Any info on those anyone?

That fuzz I got is power supply only, which is a shame, as I'd like to try the dying batteries trick.

I was looking into potentially getting one of those Diago power supplies, as they are MUCH cheaper.

Any info on those anyone?

Just make sure you get one with isolated outputs. I know it seems like a lot of money for power but it is worth it. I've got a T-Rex fuel tank chameleon which i would recommend.

http://t-rex-effects.com/products/fueltank-chameleon-1.aspx

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I picked up some new treats at the weekend. I think I need a bigger board! I'm now the owner of...

boss-ce-20-boss-ce-20-free-headphones-lead.-free-uk-mainland-delivery-1563-p.jpg

A Boss CE-20. All the Chorus ever. Spent a large chunk of last night playing Cocteau Twins and Cure songs whilst fighting off tears of joy.

_c62572_image_0.jpg

A boss OD-20 similar to the CE-20 but instead of Chorus it has 22 overdrive and distortion sounds. It's mental. The sheer amount of sounds in this box is incredible. There's a fair amount of options here. You can turn the drive up higher than you can on the standalone pedals when you go all the way round into the TURBO ZONE. Again it's got a memory bank to save yer faves but it can also be used as an amp controller.

• Upvote 1

Guest davetherave

I recognise those pedals ;)

I should put a pic of my pedal board up here, but basically its a split signal from a boss ch2 into a POG2/multi FX and the other path goes into another multi fx, Joyo EQ, then a boss dd6 for backwards freakiness, Biyang Reverb and finally into a digitech looper and sample player. Main guitars include a Candy Red Fender Tele with stetsbar, Squier Japanese Strat, Fender Stratosonic, PRS Santana SE and a Squier 51.

I th

This sounds like it would be a crazier version of a EH POG. Not sure how usable it would be, so what have you got planned for it?

I think the subtler sounds will sound good with masses of reverb and delay for intros and codas to some of the slower songs we play. I'm really into sustained chords with long modulated trail type effects, so i'm hoping it'll play nicely with my eventide space.

The more way out sounds I probably won't have much use for since one of the other guitarists I play with is all over his POG a lot of the time, so I can't see me getting to use that so much.

Guest davetherave
In my opinion Dave doesn't use the POG enough.

You could regret saying that Phil :p . Its always there in the background, but I probably need to increase the settings to bring it up in the mix?

• Upvote 2

I have 4 Mooer micro pedals on the way from China. Picked them up around £25 each. I ordered their Rat copy, Bluesbreaker copy, OCD copy and Phase 90 copy. It is not yet clear if they all are direct copies but, according to analysis of componants that I readon a forum, the Bluesbreaker copy appears to be an exact copy of a Bluesbreaker V1b.

The idea behind this is to be able to fit more than the 5 or 6 pedals I would typically be able to fit on a pedaltrain mini. I also wouldn't mind the real versions of those pedals, but don't want them enough to justify spending the full price on them or the space on the pedalboard they would take up. The reviews are mostly very good but they are definately better for some of the Mooer range than others.

Next step is to actually get a pedaltrain mini and a suitable power supply. I quite like the idea of the Pedaltrain Volto with 2x9V 1000mA each from rechargable battery (eliminating problems of picking up noise form lighting and dishwashers on the same circuit). It is set to be released at the beginning of next year, so will probably use something cheap until then.