aberdeen-music

your gear.

hibbytam

z

Biyang make really good pedals for being so inexpensive,

I bought a lightly scuffed Biyang OD-8, for about a fifth of the retail price of the Tubescreamer it emulates. It's very tweakable and extremely well built. It can be used for a nice clean boost, to warm up and thicken the sound of a SS amp and to put dirt into any mix. I like the extra option to run it through the clean channel of a Marshall or Fender valve rig- giving distinctive, slightly different tones to the normal Marshall OD sounds, in my JCM602, for example. Like with a lot of pedals, running it in conjunction with the amp's OD channel is a case of subtraction by addition.........

Highly recommended. :)

A mate of mine is always praising his Joyo British sound pedal.

Link to one on the bay

He picked it up for a similar price and he loves it. Says he can dial in loads of different overdrive sounds and claims that it adds a lot of warmth to his sound. It does look tweakable right enough, 6 knobs. The bunff on that listing say that the voice controls frequency response and distortion. There's no mention of it but I'm gonna guess that the drive knob controls the overdrive. Metal enclosure and a battery included. Not bad at all.

I'll try and persuade him for a shot and see what it's like.

Alot of DIY'ers are selling their pedals on ebay now. Seen a few fuzz factory clones going for about 25 quid and going by the feedback the buyers have been well pleased with their purchase.

Got chatting to a guy who sells homemade pedals under the name Rebel Effects UK. He mainly makes Devi Ever and Zvex clones. He was nice enough to give me a some tips about making my own pedals and even sent me plans on how to make a fuzzy reverb. I've watched a few of his auctions and his pedals seem to go for around £30-£40. Had a listen to some of them on youtube and they sound awesome! Worth checking out!

Actually been admiring your studio's gear lists, some really nice equipment! I've been doing a lot of reading up on microphones of late with the view to building up a choice cabinet of my own. Started off with the new SE 2200aii, there wasn't much in the way of reviews about this microphone as it just came out a month or so ago but it's predecessor was a very popular choice. It's such a vast and subjective topic, quite a daunting task to make the selection. I suppose there are some pretty safe bets in the upper echelons.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought this badboy from Needheid :)

5234638992_63387947a8_b.jpg

06_down_neck.jpg

My other babies are:

Mexican Jazz which I'm starting some upgrades on. New BABCIZ bridge just installed and now hunting down some pups. Covered in stickers and grafitti

-1623603974220940.jpg

Fender Power Jazz Bass Special. All original barring a refinish due to catastrophic drop-damage.

1290936283_142230410_5-Fender-Power-Jazz-Bass-Special-MIJ-Perak-1290936283.jpg

fender.jpg

Amp-wise I'm running nothing special. Ashdown MAG300 head and Ampeg B410HLF. Mounted in a Gator case with a rack tuner.

MAG300R.jpg

Looking to overhaul my amp completely though. Going to start building pedals, starting with an Orange Crush compressor and Bass Tubescreamer replicas. From there I'm considering getting one of these:

preview.jpg

The head is modular and can drive a 410 pretty happily. If I get that and use a pedalboard I should be able to get much more versatility (as well as a usable practice setup) which will be easier to move around.

xx