Meinl Mambo cowbell

Beyerdynamic Opus mics

....and a partridge in a pear tree.

I currently have...

Guitars

Epiphone Les Paul with a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge

Yamaha Pacifica 112

Amps

Marshall AVT20 - I wish to god I'd just waited and saved for the AVT50 or 250 but I wanted a new amp and that was all I could afford at the time.

Peavey Renown 400

Effects

BOSS PW-10 (wacka wah...)

BOSS CS-3

Marshall Jackhammer

I have a few bits and bobs I don't really use, namely a Stagg 10w practice amp, a peavey acoustic and a wee marshall travel amp that rarely sees the light of day.

It's a bit off topic, but what do folk recommend as good, affordable (i.e. 30-50) headphones that I can use when recording?

My advice would be, don't get closed back headphones. My Senn's are simply an overly high concentration of sound to bear for long periods of time. I once borrowed a pair of open AKGs which were much better.

My advice would be, don't get closed back headphones.

Jan-Deal:

You need closed-back headphones when recording (particularly in a less than ideal environment), because they're designed to prevent sound leakage and attenuate ambient external sound. They can be uncomfortable to wear for long periods because they are meant to grip your head tightly.

I had some really comfy openbacked sennheisers, they sounded great and I could wear them for hours but utterly useless in any kind of recording context, imagine that annoying twat on the bus with his headphones amplified 100x and you will see why they aren't any good if you're trying to record a guitar part or a vocal while listening to the clicktrack or whatever.

Ok. But if you value a balanced mind don't get HD25s. Most nights I leave my computer feeling as though I've entered an alternate reality of pain and hearing loss. It doesn't help that I have a kind of boob-job syndrome whereby, as soon as I settle on a level, it ceases to seem enough, and I continually increase. I generally only use them out of necessity, as opposed to using them like a second opinion on the sound, which is what I'm led to believe is the good and proper way.

Ok. But if you value a balanced mind don't get HD25s. Most nights I leave my computer feeling as though I've entered an alternate reality of pain and hearing loss. It doesn't help that I have a kind of boob-job syndrome whereby, as soon as I settle on a level, it ceases to seem enough, and I continually increase. I generally only use them out of necessity, as opposed to using them like a second opinion on the sound, which is what I'm led to believe is the good and proper way.

yeah I used to mostly use headphones to mix and monitor out of necessity, it is really really easy to just keep turning it up to the point that your ears are ringing by the time you call it a day and those mixes rarely sound acceptable on any other speakers. As you turn it up the headphones start to distort and kill the dynamics, which sounds seductive at the time but becomes incredibly fatiguing and lies to you about what the mix actually sounds like.

Jan-Deal:

You need closed-back headphones when recording (particularly in a less than ideal environment), because they're designed to prevent sound leakage and attenuate ambient external sound. They can be uncomfortable to wear for long periods because they are meant to grip your head tightly.

This sort of thing? Play.com (UK) : Sennheiser HD 25 SP Headphones : Electronics - Free Delivery

A bit expensive (for me), but I'd imagine that you get what you pay for. I suppose the lack of comfort is just something you have to accept if you want better sound.

Guest davetherave

Gear

Always interesting to see what gear folks are using, heres mine

Live rig

Gordon Smith GS1 (excellent british built guitars)

20 year old Session 75 watt amp and Vox AD30VT

Boss SD1, Boss DD6, Boss RC2 (11 samples stored inside it) BCB30 case

Recording stuff

Parker P38 with Roland GK2a pickup

Fernandes strat with 2 SD humbuckers

Roland VG8ex

Roland GR20

Roland JV1080

Korg wavestation SR

Technox quasimidi

Soundcraft mixer

Samson active monitors

PC with audiophile soundcard, etc

various pedals inc, tech 21 american woman, marshall echohead, more boss stuff

Also a mint Epiphone SG custom that I bought on impulse, but am now selling.

:up:

tooms, i might sell the sansamp, if i got the right price. because my amp is better than any emulator pedal ever will be.

mwahahahahaha.

What nick is it in? Actually, instead of me having to guess a price - why don't you just name a price you're willing to let it leave at at and I'll see if it's right?

Guitars:

ESP Viper (I bought it when I was in hardcore bands. but now I just hate it. Looks too metal. Metal guitars are piss)

G&L Tribute Telecaster

Yamaha 912J Pacifica

and a cheapo Yamaha 112 Pacifica.

And an even cheaper Yamaha ERG, my first guitar, pasted in stickers, with an EMG81 in the bridge.

Amps:

Marshall JCM2000 DSL50, Modded to get rid of the fizz, and add more warmth and crunch. Sounds less like a fizzy wanky metal fest now, and more like a JCM800

Don't have a cab at the moment. I did have a Matamp cab which was the tits, but I had to sell it to move up here. Disaster.

Pedals:

Marshall Guv'nor, for boost.

Boss tuner pedal.

I'm pining for a Rickenbacker or a Gretsch of somekind though right now

• Upvote 1

(takes deep breath) - Here goes:

Live

Eastwood mandocaster solid electric mandolin

Crafter Semiacoustic mandolin

Musikalia Octave Mandolin

Violin with pickup

Home

Piano

Yamaha keyboard

Eko banjo mandolin

5 string banjo

Washburn Acoustic guitar

Peavey Horizon II electric guitar

Blue Moon travel guitar

half size electric guitar (currently with 5 strings and tuned gdaeb)

Antoria Archtop acoustic guitar

Donjon electro classical guitar

Alvarez classical guitar

Autoharp

4 other violins - one tuned daeb, one just a shell

bodhran

recorders - soparino, treble (3), alto(3), tenor

tin whistles - keys of C and D

melodica (2)

Xaphoon

glockenspiel

ukelele

Variety of additional instruments, including nose flute (seriously), jaws harps, washboard, kazoos, etc plus the plethora of noisy things my 5 year old daughter has.

Amps - 1 peavey basic 40 watt bass amp (the heaviest amp in existence)

15 watt practice amp

On the wishlist (but unlikely to be obtained, due to spousal embargo):

Celtic harp

12 string guitar

tenor banjo

But,(said before in a previous thread) a wise man once said to me:

"But you've only got one pair of hands".

Regards

Flossie

Just thought I'd agree with Soundian about 'phones......if I mix using phones the levels are usually all to pot, so I always use monitors. They're fine for actual recording though, especially if you've got thin walls!

Stripey said that, although I have to agree as well. I use open backed headphones mostly to set up a basic mix; it's easier to hear little coughs, rustling paper etc and the stereo imaging is more accurate (how many drumkits have I heard that seem to be 30 feet wide, ugh). I'll check my final mix with my open phones as well because if it doesn't sound good on them as well I've done something wrong.

What nick is it in? Actually, instead of me having to guess a price - why don't you just name a price you're willing to let it leave at at and I'll see if it's right?

its in totally pristine nick, after each gig it was used at, it was put back in the box and still has all the manuals etc. I would be looking for somewhere in the region of 80 for it as it is the triamp model, but I'm totally unsure whether I should part with it, got something coming up that I might need it for, but if I do decide to get rid of it, you will be the boy a I talk to. Price sound ok?

Guitars/Things with Strings on

Fender Mark Knopfler Stratocaster

Gibson Les Paul Standard

Gibson Les Paul 1954 Historic Reissue

Gibson J45

Gretsch 6119

Silvertone 1452 Hornet

Epiphone Chet Atkins SST

Japanese Squier Precision Bass

Squier 51

Eko Ranger 12 string acoustic

Burns Doube Six

Tatra Classic guitar

Fender mandolin

Banjo of some description

Some type of ukelele

Violin from late 19th century

Amps

Crate VC5212

Roland Microcube

Pedals and stuff

Korg AX100G

Dunlop Cry Baby 535

Line 6 Pocket Pod

Don't want to bore you with pics but can't resist posting these ones of my 54 LP which I took last week.

n573972363_693543_8751.jpg

n573972363_693551_1356.jpg

Guest Bob Double Jack

My gear is......

Gibson Les Paul Gothic

Epiphone Flying V

Boss GT-6 Guitar Effects Unit

Behringer Ultrafex Pro

Marshall JCM 800 Power Amp (steve moxon r&b special!!)

Marshall Jackhammer Distortion Pedal

Marshall 4x12 Stereo Speaker Cab

Samson Wireless System

Warwick Pedal Board

D'Addario XL 9's

Can't be arsed putting up pics but...

Guitars

2000 Yamaha Pacifica 112 - modded with DiMarzio X2N humbucker and wilkinson trem (my baby and first electric)

2005 Yamaha Pacifica 812V - top of the range pacifica - beautifully made and very versatile - a lot of guitar for the money

1991 Yamaha Pacifica 1221 - got this rare gem off ebay for only 300, and its yellow!

2004 Fender Mexican Telecaster - with hotrail, great tone for a cheap guitar and my favourite for just picking up and playing

2007 Fender American Deluxe Telecaster - my best guitar, always clean it before putting it away, love it

2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic - standard and black as the night, though sadly my least favourite

Also have a top of the range Yamaha classical CG201S and a Hohner classical which is knackered

Ampage

Marshall AVT-100

Marshall MS-2 Mini Amp (Vintage)

Other shit

Planet Wave leads

Levys guitar straps

Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Danelectro Free Speech talk box (not really used, anyone want to buy it?)

Jim Dunlop nylon plectrums (60 - 100mm)

Ernie Ball strings

GHS Fast Fret

I want...

Fender David Gilmour signature Strat

Guitar Synth

Guitars:-

ESP Custom Shop KH-2 Neck Thru

ESP Jeff Hanneman Urban Camo "S&Key" (one of 4 worldwide)

Dean USA DFH "Dean From Hell" #80/150

Amps:-

ENGL E670 SE EL34

1987 Randall RG-100ES

Drum stuff:-

Pearl SRX Session Custom (6 ply maple) in Marine Blue Fade. 12", 13", 16", 22".

Pearl Omar Hakim 13"x5" African Mahogany Snare (was tempted by the Vinnie and at 14"x8" it's a beast! But the Omar works for me!).

Zildjian A Custom/Z Custom Hybrid 13" hi-hats (A on top, Z bottom)

Zidjian A Custom 8" Splash

Zildjian A Custom 10" Splash

Zildjian A Custom 16" Medium Crash

Zildjian Armand 16" Medium Thin Crash (plays off the A Custom 16" greatly!)

Zildjian 18" Oriental China Trash

Zildjian Z Custom 20" Power Ride

Pearl P-122TW twin pedal

Pearl Hardware

A few select pedals too. Have certainly cut down on stuff now. :)