aberdeen-music

your gear.

hibbytam

I'm quite surprised there's not a thread like this already. Hm. Probably is and i'm blind. Anyway.

Yeah, what do you play? through what? with what?

My current guitar is quite an old one(well, older than me...) Its my dads old guitar. Les paul style Ibanez, from (i think) 1980. Its quite cool, probably more because of what it is, rather than how it sounds.

The rest of my stuff is mostly cheap stuff. My amp came with my first guitar. Its a small practise amp. Can't remember who makes it.

My bass is a starter type bass, that I nicked off my brother, because he couldn't play it. I don't know or care especially who made it. With a similar bass amp

My theory is that if you should learn to play good on crap, then upgrade. That or i'm just cheap.....

Drum gear:

Mapex Pro-M Drum Kit (5 piece with 10", 12", 14" Toms)

Yamaha DFP-9410 pedals (those are the direct drive ones)

Cymbals: 14" Hats - Sabian Pro Sonix, 17" Crash - Sabian Hand Hammered, 18" Crash - Zildjian Z-Custom, 19" Crash - Sabian Hand Hammered, 20" Ride - Sabian Pro Sonix, 20" China - Paiste.

Yamaha DTXpressIII electric drum kit used live for my DDRUM bass drum trigger

mydrumkit.jpg

Studio gear:

PC (XP) running Pro Tools 7.3.1

M-Audio ProjectMix I/O (audio interface / motorised control surface)

ESI nEar08 EXperience speakers (Pair)

TAPCO S5 speakers (Pair)

Roland SH-201 Synthesizer

what does the trigger do tooms? does it switch between your bass drum sound to a different sound on the dtexpress or something?

Drum gear:

Mapex Pro-M Drum Kit (5 piece with 10", 12", 14" Toms)

Yamaha DFP-9410 pedals (those are the direct drive ones)

Cymbals: 14" Hats - Sabian Pro Sonix, 17" Crash - Sabian Hand Hammered, 18" Crash - Zildjian Z-Custom, 19" Crash - Sabian Hand Hammered, 20" Ride - Sabian Pro Sonix, 20" China - Paiste.

Yamaha DTXpressIII electric drum kit used live for my DDRUM bass drum trigger

mydrumkit.jpg

Studio gear:

PC (XP) running Pro Tools 7.3.1

M-Audio ProjectMix I/O (audio interface / motorised control surface)

ESI nEar08 EXperience speakers (Pair)

TAPCO S5 speakers (Pair)

Roland SH-201 Synthesizer

depends what mood i am in and what am playing!

guitars:

fender strats, gibson sg's or les pauls, other guitars kicking around like ibanez, yamaha and takamine acoustics and so on.

amps and effects are:

marshall dsl50's

peavey 5150

deizel herbert

mesa roadie

various bogner and marshall 4x12's and 2x12's

mesa studio preamp

mesa 395 simulclass poweramp

marshall 9005 poweramp

marshall jmp1 preamp

marshall 8080 poweramp

alesis quadraverbs

alesis midiverbs and microverbs

tc electronics gmajor and gforce

bbe sonic maximizer

ada mp1 preamps

line 6 flextone 3xl

ground control pro and gcx audio switchers

sennhiesser wireless system

shure sm57 or sm58 mics, cant remember but they are the smaller black ones!

chewing gum

ernie ball, boss, digitech, mxr, framptone, xotic effects, custom, maxon, george dennis, dod, ibanex pedals and so on

boss and yamaha recording and sequencing software.

heaps other shit that i cant remember!

also taken up the drums as i am fed up of drummers saying its the hardest job in the world, so i thought i would give it a bash :D

so got myself one of these roland TD-9 electronic kits which is great fun

I use a Ernie Ball music man 3EQ in red burst with (ithink) rosewood neck into a Samson Airline Bass > TU2 > Marshall Guv'nor (mk1) > Ampeg SVT4 > Ampeg SVT610HLF.

I need to add my wah into it, and maybe get some new toys. I dont use my metal zone, noise gate, super od, whammy, sansamp etc now... so might get rid of them....

EDIT: also have a Warwick Corvette 5 string in an ace blue that i havent seen in a while. in a matt finish. and a Line 6 Bass pod live xt that i dont use.

ach so much gear that i have sitting around.

what does the trigger do tooms? does it switch between your bass drum sound to a different sound on the dtexpress or something?

the Trigger is just attached to the skin of the bass drum and detects whenever you hit the bass drum. This then triggers a "sampled" kick drum sound via the drum module and is sent to the desk.

- Although I don't use total replacement, i always have the kick mic'd up as well. Then usually blend it out front 70/30 ish in favour of the trigger.

The mic gives you the low end punch and the trigger gives you the high end attack to really cut through the live mix. I have/like a really clicky trigger which you just cant get through a normal mic.

EVEN when you EQ the fuck out of it through the desk. You may get a decent single kick tone through the mic, but it sounds different when you're playing fast double kick. Not to mention it still doesnt really cut through very well when sat in the mix.

For a live demonstartion check out my gig at drummonds on August 4th!! lol

/end shameless plug.

Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray V HH > Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ > Ampeg 8x10 AV Cab

And thats it.

Other stuff I have sitting around are Boss Metalzone, Tech 21 Sansamp TriAmp Bass Pre, Squier Affinity P-Bass

does "sitting around" imply that you might be selling your sansamp?????

*he asks, on a prayer*

Your Fears...it says so right there

<--- *points left*

**cue 'verbal' abuse from elitist anti-metal/hardcore forumers**

The band on that date that we're supporting are called Eternal Lord. But Enrapture are playing too who I think are currently Aberdeen's best metalcore band.

Your Fears...it says so right there

<--- *points left*

**cue 'verbal' abuse from elitist anti-metal/hardcore forumers**

The band on that date that we're supporting are called Eternal Lord. But Enrapture are playing too who I think are currenty Aberdeen's best metalcore band.

Ah, I never noticed. Very good then, I will perhaps come along to witness the bass drum trigger in action.

On topic:

Various keyboards: Virus TI, Roland JP8000, MicorKorg, Roland RD-170 piano, Moog Realistic Concertmate MG-1, Korg Kaossilator

Akai MPC2500

Tennor Sax YTS62

Clarinet Buffet Greenline

Mics and stands

lots of cables

Other bits and pieces kicking around, most of which don't belong to me!

Quite fancy a Roland V-synth GT but a little pricey.

Guitars

Ibanez RG7620 7 string gutiar (I don't know why I own it but I like it)

Schecter Diamond Series Jazz Elite

Ovation Balladeer Acoustic

Sansamp psa-1 pre amp

marshall 2x12" cabinet

various effects

Keys

Korg Triton Extreme

Evolution MK-461 controller for when I feel like playing dual manual hammond or something else that requires 2 keyboards.

computer

various software synths and samplers from Native Instruments and M-Audio (i think i have 14 in total)

Barratt And Robinson upright piano

GUITARS

Blackmachine custom

Gibson Explorer

Jackson 10XD

Ibanez SZ720

EFFECTS

Maxon OD808 Overdrive

Boss NS2 Noise Supressor

Boss TU2 Tuner

Ibanez DE7 Delay

Boss GE7 Graphic Equaliser

Roland MIDI footswitch controller (for VH4)

AMPS

Diezel VH4

Peavey 6505

Mesa 4x12 oversized cab (with V30 speakers)

I have some other stuff but the above is the gear I use live.

yes yes, you have "THE TONE QUEST" guitar rig. shut up.

Oh Dan was gonna ask, as a cheaper way to get a very good (mic'd) guitar tone. Do you reckon it'd be worth buying a single (or two) Celestion V-30(s)? You can get them on their own for like 40/50!!

Then obv. need some cab cloth (got that) and then build a make shift cabinet to house it??

I'm thinking about recording wise here - without having to go out and buy a Mesa or Orange cab or something. And it'd live in a tone cupboard. (i'm building a vocal booth/tone cupboard soon)

Guitars:

Gibson Flying V

Washburn WI65 (looks ridiculously 'rawk d00d' but is in fact one of the most versatile guitars I've come across)

Garrison acoustic

Couple of old classicals

Pedals:

Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger

Boss DD-6 Delay

Digitech Death Metal Distortion

Also the Dean V I've been trying to sell on here (50 made and I've got number 2. You could have it if you want...)

Hopefully I'll have a Telecaster by the end of the year, along with a tasty new amp.

aw well that's nice to know. :-)

I quit/left the aberdeen-music forums all those years ago just cos it turned into basically a bunch of people who didn't actually play any instrument, bitching about how bad they thought other people were. Got pretty annoying!

I think i'm going to stick to the confines of the Musician's Corner! Ha!

GUITARS

Blackmachine custom

Gibson Explorer

Jackson 10XD

Ibanez SZ720

EFFECTS

Maxon OD808 Overdrive

Boss NS2 Noise Supressor

Boss TU2 Tuner

Ibanez DE7 Delay

Boss GE7 Graphic Equaliser

Roland MIDI footswitch controller (for VH4)

AMPS

Diezel VH4

Peavey 6505

Mesa 4x12 oversized cab (with V30 speakers)

I have some other stuff but the above is the gear I use live.

Blackmachine guitars look incredible- what model exactly do you have and how much did it set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

yes yes, you have "THE TONE QUEST" guitar rig. shut up.

Oh Dan was gonna ask, as a cheaper way to get a very good (mic'd) guitar tone. Do you reckon it'd be worth buying a single (or two) Celestion V-30(s)? You can get them on their own for like 40/50!!

Well the reason mesa's etc sound so much better is due to the quality of wood etc to build the cab. The resonance of woods differ, and therefore alter tone significantly. I think marshall cabs are made of plywood whereas mesas are a more expensive and dense wood - and therefore fucking heavy. You'd probably be better trying to stick a V30 in a cheaper cab than make your own from scratch to be honest... but I'm not a total expert on the subject.

Blackmachine guitars look incredible- what model exactly do you have and how much did it set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

I have the B2, which was 1600 - although that was 2 years ago - think they are 2k now as well as a two year waiting list!

Here's a photo of it in action:

dan6.jpg

stuff that gets used on a regular basis:

intel core2duo e8400 3.0ghz with 2 gigs ram running xp pro

single core laptop running xp pro

both running flstudio/ableton/cubase sx3/adobe audition

alesis photon x25 audio interface/midi controller

soundcraft compact 10 mixer

korg padkontrol

casio cps-300 electric piano as master keyboard

alesis m1 active 520 active monitors

pair of cheapo decks and mixer

sennheiser hd200 closed back headphones, which are due to be replaced with something that doesn't sound as gash

cheapo stereo condensor mic + minidv camera for rough outdoor sampling/recording