aberdeen-music

Experimental Music Circuit Bending Workshop

Hey Everyone,

I'm offering a beginning circuit bending workshop at Peacock Visual Arts on August 2nd and 3rd, and still have 5 spots left. For those of you unfamiliar with circuit bending, it's the practice of creating electronic music instruments/sculptures from toys, as well as hacking/re-purposing keyboards and other electronic music instruments. It's how I build many of the instruments I play in my live electronics set and use in my compositions/sound designs.

The basic idea is taking apart electronic/sound producing toys/cheap instruments and creating short circuits that are interesting and that produce results that you like, and then wiring these up with various controllers and switches and re-housing them in a new case or modifying the old one to fit the new components.

Here are some links to pages with some stuff I've built in case you've missed any of my sets:

http://www.billthompson.org/steim.htm

http://www.billthompson.org/mickelmasstunnels.htm

http://www.billthompson.org/pix/concretefour/P7261809.jpg

and some pretty dire youtube vids, but you'll get the picture (bad pun):

http://hk.youtube.com/user/innerd00r

The workshop costs 10/day (2 days) and you will need to bring two or three toys to hack as well as buy a few cheap components from Maplins that come to about 3 to 5 (all detailed in an email once I have a full roster).

The workshop is geared towards people who are interested in circuit bending but who have little or no experience working with hacked electronics. More advanced folks are welcome but should realize I'm focusing on fairly straight-forward bends/hacks and basic electronics to set you off on your journey.

I'll cover how to find bends, how to wire up inputs/outputs, potentiometers, light sensitive resisters (to create theramin-like controls), body contacts, and single and double throw switches.

The goal of the workshop is to give you the basic technical know-how to continue on your own after the workshop, as well as for you to leave with a basic instrument by the end of day 2 (each person's instrument will be unique as circuit bending is about discovery, not design-per say).

I'm doing this workshop fairly cheap as I was offering it to friends initially but still need 5 more to make it viable, but later workshops will likely cost much more just because it takes so much work to put this together etc.

So those interested, give me a shout and I'll put you on the list. You can pm me, or just send me an email at billthompson@billthompson.org

Oh, and btw, the workshop is appropriate for any age-8 to 80 (and yes, I've done it with a wide range) and no electronics experience is necessary (in a way, it's almost better to come in with as little preconceptions as possible!)

Talk soon,

Bill

ps...I have a small desire that this might eventually lead to a David Tudor-esque electronic orchestra of sorts if people are enthused.

--

http://billthompson.org/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/soundasart/

Experimental Music Radio at:

http://thefogonshmufm.blogspot.com/

"The more you think about things the weirder they seem." -Calvin

I'd love to do this but, unfortunately, am away that weekend for work.

Any plans for a follow up course?

Hey ya,

Two quick things, looks like someone couldn't make it so that's another spot open.

And as to future workshops I'm hoping to do this again when possible. It all depends on funding and demand, but if all goes well, definitely! (Just not sure how soon, obviously due to the above.)

Maybe I should make a list of those interested who can't do this weekend and sign you up for another one somewhere else at a later time?

Bill

circuit bending roll call

Hi Everyone,

If you've expressed interest in the Circuit Bending workshop and signed up for it, you should have received an email from me with the component list and other info. If you haven't, it's probably because I only have your p.m. address or I've made a mistake and missed you out (sorry if so!)

So if you haven't received that email, please send me an email with your address so that I can forward you the info and put you on Peacock's list.

Thanks again, really looking forward to it!

Bill

Guest davetherave
Hi Everyone,

If you've expressed interest in the Circuit Bending workshop and signed up for it, you should have received an email from me with the component list and other info. If you haven't, it's probably because I only have your p.m. address or I've made a mistake and missed you out (sorry if so!)

So if you haven't received that email, please send me an email with your address so that I can forward you the info and put you on Peacock's list.

Thanks again, really looking forward to it!

Bill

Hey Bill, I hope you organise another one of these, unfortunately I'm on holiday during this one, but would definitely attend another date. I'd really like to build something resembling a theremin into a guitar ! ;o)

Cheers,

Dave

Hey Bill, I hope you organise another one of these, unfortunately I'm on holiday during this one, but would definitely attend another date. I'd really like to build something resembling a theremin into a guitar ! ;o)

Cheers,

Dave

No problem Dave, I'll let everyone know if and when I do..I hope to!

talk soon,

Bill

Shit shit shit! I hate not being able to make things like this. If you set up another, I'll have my name down IMMEDIATELY! This'd be so cool, im actually gutted.

Will do :)

Seems like I'm getting so many of these I might have to do it sooner rather than later. Let me get through this one next week and if Peacock's is cool about it, I'll try to do another within a month or so.

Talk soon,

Bill

circuit bending times and stuff

Hi Everyone,

This is just in case I missed any strays in the last email out, I'm looking forward to this weekend.

I think there's still room for one more person as someone had to cancel yesterday, so let me know if you're interested.

The times for the workshop are 1030am to 530pm, Saturday and Sunday at Peacock Visual Arts.

Also, two of the extra soldering irons died, so if you've got one, bring it as it'll make for less waiting etc. Oh, and also bring a permanent marker or two of different colors if you have 'em.

Ok, talk soon,

Bill

Pix and Vids from Experimental Music Circuit Bending Workshop

Hi Everyone,

Thank you to everyone that came, I think the weekend was a huge success. I was completely impressed with what everyone was able to make in only two days. Here are a few pages of photos with some quicktime vids as well.

Circuit Bending Workshop, Aug 2nd and 3rd

Looking forward to scheduling the next one as soon as I can find a free space to host the event.

Talk soon,

Bill

I really enjoyed the 2 days! I came into it not knowing the difference between a resistor and a plate of mince & tatties, but came out having bent 2 instruments in a most satisfying way (and will be recording them today!).

I also spent a couple of hours last night helping my g/f bend a keyboard, and she's quite keen on attending the next workshop.

Many thanks, Bill :)

I really enjoyed the 2 days! I came into it not knowing the difference between a resistor and a plate of mince & tatties, but came out having bent 2 instruments in a most satisfying way (and will be recording them today!).

I also spent a couple of hours last night helping my g/f bend a keyboard, and she's quite keen on attending the next workshop.

Many thanks, Bill :)

Please try bending a plate of mince and tatties. I'd like to see (hear?) that.