aberdeen-music

delia derbyshire

Stripey

On radio4's PM programme today they were talking about the aquisition of the delia derbyshire archive by manchester university, Research (Delia Derbhyshire Catalogue, NOVARS, SAHC - The University of Manchester)

In all, there are 267 tapes of music, principally on 10.5 reels. Many of the tapes are fragile and have not been played consistently for over forty years. Our core task was to make digital transfers of the tapes in order to conduct the repeated listening necessary for close analysis and, ultimately, open the archive to the wider research community and composition students.

I hope they make all this material available to the public, she was a real innovator and all her work has a really eery 60's modernist bleakness about it which I find irrisistable.

the thing with derbyshire is that i struggle to understand whether she's widely revered because she has some kind of actual worth and value to humanity, or if she's achieved this quasi-religious status through what amounts to a process of BBC Radiophonic Workshop driven cultural indoctrination.

• Upvote 1

the thing with derbyshire is that i struggle to understand whether she's widely revered because she has some kind of actual worth and value to humanity, or if she's achieved this quasi-religious status through what amounts to a process of BBC Radiophonic Workshop driven cultural indoctrination.

ha, naughty.

Yeah that's not remotely funny, because she is not widely revered, which is why the digitalisation of this archive is so important. Most people will recognise the dr who theme tune, but I doubt many could tell you who wrote it or have actually heard any of the wierder output of the radiophonic workshop.

Yeah that's not remotely funny, because she is not widely revered, which is why the digitalisation of this archive is so important. Most people will recognise the dr who theme tune, but I doubt many could tell you who wrote it or have actually heard any of the wierder output of the radiophonic workshop.

oh delia derbyshire? my apologies. she's that tedious user of electronic oscillators and magnetic audio tape editing that simpletons find amusing.

oh delia derbyshire? my apologies. she's that tedious user of electronic oscillators and magnetic audio tape editing that simpletons find amusing.

As I said, it's not a funny comparison, she and her fellows were innovators ahead of their time pushing boundaries in an utterly new and unexplored field. The same cannot be said of bob dylan and flight of the concordes.

She didn't write it, but her recorded version is an amazing arrangement which took the basic written material to another level.

I like the fact that many people will have heard the radiphonic workshops work without even realizing it. 8-)