aberdeen-music

Never trust an Italian Copper

This was in the Guardian today, I can't remember the last time I was so outraged by anything I have read. Torturers are scum, but I would make an exception for every culpable officer in this case, as they deserve it.

Nick Davies on the bloody battle of Genoa | World news | The Guardian

This is the EU, Berlusconi is nothing but a contmporary Sforza, treating Italy as his private fiefdom, altering the law to protect his and his backers, interests. He was in charge at this point in 2001, and is obviously implicated.

Gypsy girls' corpses on beach in Italy fail to put off sunbathers | World news | The Guardian

Yes, this was the next most shocking Italian story of the week. Their regression towards 30's 'certainties' shames our continent. Although it is worth mentioning that also they have a proud tradition of anti-fascism.

[ignores above]

The duality of humanity, eh?

Guest Neutral
Gypsy girls' corpses on beach in Italy fail to put off sunbathers | World news | The Guardian

Yes, this was the next most shocking Italian story of the week. Their regression towards 30's 'certainties' shames our continent. Although it is worth mentioning that also they have a proud tradition of anti-fascism.

[ignores above]

The duality of humanity, eh?

Stupid peasants, people probably got fed up of the gypsy's thieving

Guest Neutral
You're not funny. You're never funny. Please realise that comedy is not. Your. Thing.

Just calling it as I see it

I seriously dislike protestors, Italy has its own rules just because they wouldn't be legal here doesn't mean they are unacceptable there. Protestors should stop protesting it does nothing but annoy people, return to normality folks the government doesn't care one way or the other they are there for the money.

And

It wouldn't be the first time someone has disposed of Gypsy's or not noticed whether someone was dead or alive. Last time I was in Italy one of the Gypsy peasant children attempted to pickpocket me, later on my trip another succeeded. I dislike gypsy's. Not all, I have met some rather fine ones.

Infractions haha, perhaphs now I have 'explained' my choice of words it's not so much

"All the best,

aberdeen-music"

I lolled:popcorn:

And workers unions are pointless too? Lumping all protesters in as stereotypical hippies is plain ignorant.

Workers unions? What, those unions like the RMT, ran by a certain Bob Crow, that under his stewardship has managed to reduce to practically zero any sympathy for railwaymen?

Or let's not forget Scargill, that great working class hero, who through sheer stupidity managed to inflict a huge defeat upon unionism as a whole. He didn't even bother to ballot the members of the NUM - and he's spoken in defence of Stalin before. Is that a hero? Is it fuck.

Workers unions? What, those unions like the RMT, ran by a certain Bob Crow, that under his stewardship has managed to reduce to practically zero any sympathy for railwaymen?

Or let's not forget Scargill, that great working class hero, who through sheer stupidity managed to inflict a huge defeat upon unionism as a whole. He didn't even bother to ballot the members of the NUM - and he's spoken in defence of Stalin before. Is that a hero? Is it fuck.

I fail to see your point. Why do a couple of bad examples make all protesters bad?

I fail to see your point. Why do a couple of bad examples make all protesters bad?

I could go on, if you'd like. History is littered, and still being littered, with examples where trade unions have persued their own self interested path, to the detriment of the ordinary man and woman.

As for protesting - sure, there's good and bad protestors. But generally, when you get protestors interested in their own agenda rather than being genuinely passionate about their cause, then all you get is trouble.

For example - the protests over the M3 motorway past the Hill of Tara in Ireland. It was/is a pretty widely held view that these protestors were actually coming in from Britain to cause trouble, as opposed to being Irish. Is that good? Of course it's not.

Good protests in history can arguably include the Northern Ireland Civil Rights marches and the Monday night protests in Leipzig - but is there really any need to smash up McDonalds?

As for protesting - sure, there's good and bad protestors. But generally, when you get protestors interested in their own agenda rather than being genuinely passionate about their cause, then all you get is trouble.

We're in agreement then. Of course there are hooligans using 'protest' as an excuse to have fights, but then there are teachers and firemen on strike for better pay and better working conditions. You can't generalise.

Guest Neutral
What a load of shit. I suppose you think Rosa Parks should have just gone to the back of the bus and that MLK should have kept his mouth?

And workers unions are pointless too? Lumping all protesters in as stereotypical hippies is plain ignorant.

So you have never stood up and said "no i'm not doing that" or "I don't agree with that"?

Unlike the planes on 9/11 you completely missed the target, well done I salute you Mr and Mrs completely clueless :up:

This is a really good, relevant book, by the writer of that article:

Amazon.co.uk: Flat Earth News: An Award-winning Reporter Exposes Falsehood, Distortion and Propaganda in the Global Media: Nick Davies: Books

It's basically an analysis of all the ways by which modern media methods of production and consumption have gradually destroyed any notion of truth in news; how a balanced conception of the world is simply not possibly when the bulk of news comes from one or two broad sources.

Highly recommended to anyone who casts a suspicious eye over what's going on around them; an absolute necessity for those who don't :D