aberdeen-music

Received wisdom - split thread

Neil

It's not a matter of disagreeing with you or necessarily agreeing with the actions of others who have been banned, I just find the moderation of the site to be totally hypocritical. For instance, I tend to be pretty amaible on the whole, I expressed my opinion that Cloud is a cunt once and i'm getting the stock warning alerts going off.

But what's hypocritical about it? To call someone a cunt is a pretty bad thing - if I went upto some random in the street who was talking to his mate and said "Oi, mate, I don't know you, but you appear to be a bit of a cunt", I'd be expecting a swift punch in the face, if not worse. It's generally not acceptable to do so, unless you know the person, and even then, plenty of people will draw the line at 'cunt' being used in speech.

Thing is, there's plenty of ways of expressing an opinion that someone is full of shit without actually saying it in a way that devalues your own posts as well as the site. If someone's opinion (in your mind) is bullshit, then either use mature language, or don't say anything at all. It's really not hard to do. And, as far as I can see, the moderation is perfectly fine with that, as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

Despite Neil's predictable speech, it doesn't matter at all what the level of insult is, an insult is an insult and you get away with blatantly insulting and ridiculing a large number of users on a regular basis and it's getting tired. The so-called 'rules' don't define what is and isn't acceptable, they use bland guidance to carry out bland moderation which has no bottle to live by the self appointed rule system.

But it does matter, as I've said above. Politely disagreeing with someone's opinion is fine - no-one in their right mind should get upset and everyone's happy with a good discussion. But to turn round and call them all sorts of names because they dared to express an opinion that you (not you personally!) think is horseshit - then...come on, human decency should tell you that there's no need for it.

I can attest to the moderation being fair - if it wasn't fair, then surely I would've been banned ages ago for some of the opinions and comments made? I'm pretty sure (though I have no proof :p) that Neil would've happily banned me a while back, and I'm positive that if I was to start abusing members, then I'd be banned. It's not like i'm friends with any of the moderators, two of them have actively told me that I'm full of shit (though in far politer terms)...so how could it be unfair?

Do you think someone should be banned for expressing an opinion?

However, there are always going to be attention seekers who know which buttons to push in order to provoke an angry response

oh come on, attention seekers? I don't see anyone here exhibiting that kind of behaviour, what I do see however is people whining about the few self-confident, assertive posters who aren't scared to stick by their individual beliefs and say what they think.

oh come on, attention seekers? I don't see anyone here exhibiting that kind of behaviour, what I do see however is people whining about the few self-confident, assertive posters who aren't scared to stick by their individual beliefs and say what they think.

Are you being sarcastic?

Are you being sarcastic?

Absolutely not. the persistently disruptive users on this site are people like bob, milner, tubthumper, bluesxman etc who feel the need to post personal abuse about other memebers simply for holding an opinion they disagree with. As Dave alluded to, if they don't like people being free to speak their minds then perhaps they should refrain from posting, instead of regularly derailing threads and turning them into a slagging match.

Absolutely not. the persistently disruptive users on this site are people like bob, milner, tubthumper, bluesxman etc who feel the need to post personal abuse about other memebers simply for holding an opinion they disagree with. As Dave alluded to, if they don't like people being free to speak their minds then perhaps they should refrain from posting, instead of regularly derailing threads and turning them into a slagging match.

Which is fair enough. Except you post just as much abuse as they do - usually in your opening gambit. Presumably to get people's attention and to get someone to take the bait and reply. And you wonder why you receive so much abuse back...

Which is fair enough. Except you post just as much abuse as they do - usually in your opening gambit. Presumably to get people's attention and to get someone to take the bait and reply. And you wonder why you receive so much abuse back...

Utter nonsense, as I said I may be brusque with my opinion and accused of using generalisations, but generalisations are a way of avoiding personally insulting people. Go and look at my post history if you're bored, I think you'll find that I'm never the one to start getting personal.

Only towards you Stripey, and let's be fair, you love it. I know I do.

Edit: I would like to think you're not a completely ignorant arsehole when you're not behind the computer, as I don't see how you can socially intergrate with anyone when you think that everyone else is an imbecile or a simpleton. I think it's a shame.

Guest bluesxman
But what's hypocritical about it? To call someone a cunt is a pretty bad thing - if I went upto some random in the street who was talking to his mate and said "Oi, mate, I don't know you, but you appear to be a bit of a cunt", I'd be expecting a swift punch in the face, if not worse. It's generally not acceptable to do so, unless you know the person, and even then, plenty of people will draw the line at 'cunt' being used in speech.

Thing is, there's plenty of ways of expressing an opinion that someone is full of shit without actually saying it in a way that devalues your own posts as well as the site. If someone's opinion (in your mind) is bullshit, then either use mature language, or don't say anything at all. It's really not hard to do. And, as far as I can see, the moderation is perfectly fine with that, as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

But it does matter, as I've said above. Politely disagreeing with someone's opinion is fine - no-one in their right mind should get upset and everyone's happy with a good discussion. But to turn round and call them all sorts of names because they dared to express an opinion that you (not you personally!) think is horseshit - then...come on, human decency should tell you that there's no need for it.

I can attest to the moderation being fair - if it wasn't fair, then surely I would've been banned ages ago for some of the opinions and comments made? I'm pretty sure (though I have no proof :p) that Neil would've happily banned me a while back, and I'm positive that if I was to start abusing members, then I'd be banned. It's not like i'm friends with any of the moderators, two of them have actively told me that I'm full of shit (though in far politer terms)...so how could it be unfair?

Do you think someone should be banned for expressing an opinion?

So a perfectly valid response to someone querying whether others like Flight of the Conchords is to state that anyone who does is a simpleton? That's not an opinion on the subject matter. Anyway I'm done arguing the point, you are clearly unable to understand.

So a perfectly valid response to someone querying whether others like Flight of the Conchords is to state that anyone who does is a simpleton? That's not an opinion on the subject matter. Anyway I'm done arguing the point, you are clearly unable to understand.

Well, think about it...if someone called you a simpleton, you'd just laugh. But if someone called them a fucking bloody cunt for liking them, you'd be pretty offended, wouldn't you?

It's all in the language, and the use of it. Cunt is generally considered by society to be worse than simpleton - rightfully or wrongly, I don't know.

I actually think that Stripey plays a valid role on this site. Fair enough, the poor guy has some sort of problem with tact and delivery but he does have some interesting things to say every now and then.

Nobody on this site bothers me that much, occasionally i have the odd spat with folks here and there but generally they're total handbags and just folks letting off steam.

I don't personally think that cunt is a terribly bad word these days. Nothings shocking anymore. Move with the times.

This site is still as relevant as it was but the dynamic has changed. Whether that is for the best or not i don't know but the scene itself is different as well so it's obvious that a site like this would move with trends as well.

Absolutely not. the persistently disruptive users on this site are people like bob, milner, tubthumper, bluesxman etc who feel the need to post personal abuse about other memebers simply for holding an opinion they disagree with.

*cough* pot, kettle etc

Do you not just get sick of watching crap like those guys on telly? I hate to break it to you, but you perceive me as being a constant critic of everything you like, because literally everything you like is utter shit and you are a mindless philistine.