aberdeen-music

Received wisdom - split thread

Neil

I doubt that very much.

But then you would say that, wouldn't you. ;)

Not having a go at anyone in particular, including you and the other mods, after all a forum is dependent on the contributions from its members so I'm as responsible as anyone else. But I don't think anyone would try to claim that this forum is anything like as interesting as it was a few years ago, and that's not just rose tinted glasses/nostalgia. I seem to remember a thread on this before where even you acknowledged this and put it down to people spending more time on Bebo/Myspace etc instead of here.

But then you would say that, wouldn't you. ;)

Not having a go at anyone in particular, including you and the other mods, after all a forum is dependent on the contributions from its members so I'm as responsible as anyone else. But I don't think anyone would try to claim that this forum is anything like as interesting as it was a few years ago, and that's not just rose tinted glasses/nostalgia. I seem to remember a thread on this before where even you acknowledged this and put it down to people spending more time on Bebo/Myspace etc instead of here.

I'm conscious I don't want to take this thread any further off-topic, but yes, you're right. I've said in the past that as far as popularity goes then this web site reached it's plateau some time ago and won't get any bigger than it is now. Especially with people spending less time on web sites like this to instead spend more time on the likes of MySpace, Bebo, Facebook etc. All of which is perfectly understandable and to be expected.

However, I've also said in the past that I'd prefer quality over quantity on these forums and I'm quite prepared to sacrifice the numbers of active users on this web site in order to achieve that aim. My tolerance for putting up with the "characters" that contribute little, but cause plenty of disruption, has long since dwindled away. Read into that what you will.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...

However, I've also said in the past that I'd prefer quality over quantity on these forums and I'm quite prepared to sacrifice the numbers of active users on this web site in order to achieve that aim.

What you really mean is you want the users of this site to be obedient little robots that behave in a manner that fits your revenue stream concept without requiring any moderation effort. That's not how human beings work.

What you really mean is you want the users of this site to be obedient little robots that behave in a manner that fits your revenue stream concept without requiring any moderation effort. That's not how human beings work.

I have a revenue stream concept? Awesome. Can someone tell me what it is?

Maybe I've overestimated your approach and all the banner ads are just there because you like the way they look...

Well the Snafu banners are usually rather fetching. If I take them down then I can count on you paying me my 200 a month web hosting bill just to keep this web site online? Ah, thought not.

the advertising actually pays for the hosting in full?

The advertising plus our supporting members (who kindly pay their 3 a month) not only pays for the web hosting in full but has, for the last couple of years or so, even left us with some money left over. And before you get excited, that money isn't lining my pockets but instead sits in a separate bank account and is used to pay for other on-going costs (e.g. vBulletin licence renewals etc) and used to fund new features on the web site (e.g. mobile version of the forums).

All of which you should be rather satisfied with otherwise you wouldn't be able to spend your days looking at this web site all the time.

However, I've also said in the past that I'd prefer quality over quantity on these forums and I'm quite prepared to sacrifice the numbers of active users on this web site in order to achieve that aim. My tolerance for putting up with the "characters" that contribute little, but cause plenty of disruption, has long since dwindled away. Read into that what you will.

Apologies for replying to this, but...

One of the big problems the website has at the minute is the amount of people that are jumping all over anyone with a 'different' opinion to them. Look at my posts concerning the Lemon Tree and possible issues surrounding their funding - instead of getting a reasonable discussion on the go about whether or not there's actually any problems, the answers mostly rotate around "you know nothing" - and I think this kind of attitude is incredibly harmful.

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/other-clubs-venues/46755-lemon-tree-no-more-41.html#post673989

This is an example - I like Chris, have no problem with him at all...but this kind of post, coming from a staff member, does nothing but devalue the site. If I'm speaking rubbish, I want to see a well thought out post showing me exactly where I'm wrong. I may very well have been barking up the wrong tree, but to suggest that I'm "not clued up" without any sort of attempt to prove otherwise is just asking for trouble.

I don't apologise for having an inquisitive mind, and I think exploring these things can do nothing but improve the site as a site for discussion. If people keep jumping on these kinds of things, then ultimately, you will end up with a site where no-one expresses an opinion for fear of what happens.

One of the big problems the website has at the minute is the amount of people that are jumping all over anyone with a 'different' opinion to them. Look at my posts concerning the Lemon Tree and possible issues surrounding their funding - instead of getting a reasonable discussion on the go about whether or not there's actually any problems, the answers mostly rotate around "you know nothing" - and I think this kind of attitude is incredibly harmful.

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/other-clubs-venues/46755-lemon-tree-no-more-41.html#post673989

This is an example - I like Chris, have no problem with him at all...but this kind of post, coming from a staff member, does nothing but devalue the site. If I'm speaking rubbish, I want to see a well thought out post showing me exactly where I'm wrong. I may very well have been barking up the wrong tree, but to suggest that I'm "not clued up" without any sort of attempt to prove otherwise is just asking for trouble.

I don't apologise for having an inquisitive mind, and I think exploring these things can do nothing but improve the site as a site for discussion. If people keep jumping on these kinds of things, then ultimately, you will end up with a site where no-one expresses an opinion for fear of what happens.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I'm conscious I don't want to take this thread any further off-topic, but yes, you're right. I've said in the past that as far as popularity goes then this web site reached it's plateau some time ago and won't get any bigger than it is now. Especially with people spending less time on web sites like this to instead spend more time on the likes of MySpace, Bebo, Facebook etc. All of which is perfectly understandable and to be expected.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...

actually i think the site could become more popular. it has no presence in the real world which would help drive people here. even a poster in one up would lead to more interest or flyers at freshers week, something like that.

you will end up with a site where no-one expresses an opinion for fear of what happens.

The Mad Max world of the internetz?! Maybe A-M will become overrun with seriously tough keyboard warriors looking to show their worth and gain glory from their own (mother's) living room, laying waste to us decent people as they go!

I'll be hiding under my bed with a baseball bat, just in case things get ugly.

Guest treader.

like chris has said before, not all his time is staff time. he can still poke fun at you if he wants to. and apparently, he wanted to. deal with it.

Guest bluesxman

Why is Stripey still actually a part of this forum? He is blatantly abusive towards other users (a recent example being calling anyone who likes Flight of the Conchords a simpleton). Dressing it up as voicing his opinion is just a tired excuse - he comes on, slags off everyone who has a brain and actually has no interest in DnB (a musical form that lived and died in the late 90's with about the same lifecycle as a mayfly to anyone with any sense, or anyone who isn't addled by drugs).

Why is Stripey still actually a part of this forum? He is blatantly abusive towards other users (a recent example being calling anyone who likes Flight of the Conchords a simpleton). Dressing it up as voicing his opinion is just a tired excuse - he comes on, slags off everyone who has a brain and actually has no interest in DnB (a musical form that lived and died in the late 90's with about the same lifecycle as a mayfly to anyone with any sense, or anyone who isn't addled by drugs).

Where does this misconception that all I listen to is dnb come from? When I first signed up that's what I was mostly producing, but I haven't written a dnb tune for years now and very rarely listen to it now because as you say, it became boring and formulaic at the start of the 21st century culminating in the arrival of pendulum. To say it's dead though is just silly, there are so many iconic and quintesentially british drumnbass tunes that will live on forever.

There's plenty of other people on the forum that haven't been banned despite doing exactly the same thing - for instance, he might have called Flight of the Conchords for simpletons (I actually agree with this...it's shit) - but then you go on to criticise people that are into DnB. I seem to recall that at least one member of this forum is really into their DnB, yet you would never say a bad word against them. If I'm right, they're also one of the most well respected people around...so maybe chose your words more carefully?

As for him slagging off people that have a brain, it's rather subjective, no?

Guest bluesxman
There's plenty of other people on the forum that haven't been banned despite doing exactly the same thing - for instance, he might have called Flight of the Conchords for simpletons (I actually agree with this...it's shit) - but then you go on to criticise people that are into DnB. I seem to recall that at least one member of this forum is really into their DnB, yet you would never say a bad word against them. If I'm right, they're also one of the most well respected people around...so maybe chose your words more carefully?

As for him slagging off people that have a brain, it's rather subjective, no?

I have no idea who you are talking about but there's very few people on this forum I have 'respect' for as they are mostly anonymous to me, so I don't need to 'choose my words carefully' - so stick the unsolicited advice up your pedantic little arse.

As for you, I don't know you either but you also seem like a real cunt that has little of use to say, everything I've seen you post recently has been an obvious attempt to stir shit and it would probably be best for all concerned if you were banned from here too. Unfortunately it won't happen. The only folk that seem to get banned are the ones who wind up Dave enough.

Guest bluesxman
First off, let's keep this civil. Abusing other members of the site is against the rules, and more often than not it nullifies any point you were making in the rest of your post. Any further posts that break site rules in this manner will be deleted.

Secondly, if the views and opinions and the manner in which the members of this site express them displease you, my advice would be to just ignore them. Engage with someone who has something constructive and thoughtful to say instead. It's very easy to do, and once people find they're being ignored, they tend to buck up their ideas and start contributing in a more useful fashion.

Is calling people 'simpletons', etc not being abusive? Just wondering, because there seem to be several double standards in practice within this site's 'rules'.

Guest bluesxman

From the 'Guidelines' -

"Be kind to one another.

Sharing your thoughts, jokes, experiences, opinions and beliefs is more than encouraged providing you do not do so in such a way that offends, insults, or otherwise disrupts the thoughts, experiences, opinions and beliefs of others within the community."

How many strikes and out does this site operate just out of interest - it must be in the hundreds for certain folk....

Is calling people 'simpletons', etc not being abusive? Just wondering, because there seem to be several double standards in practice within this site's 'rules'.

In some people's opinion, yes, that might be considered abuse. But there has to be some common sense applied here. Calling someone a simpleton is not quite the same as calling someone a cunt, for example. Sometimes we (the staff) get it right, sometimes we get it wrong and sometimes we miss it altogether (remember to use the Report Post function everyone - we don't have time to read everything). I think we do a pretty good job overall as if we weren't there wouldn't be anyone left posting here.

Personally, I think overall, we are actually too easy on people. There are some people still posting on these forums that would have been banned long ago on other web sites. I suspect that's what you're getting at.

As for you, I don't know you either but you also seem like a real cunt that has little of use to say, everything I've seen you post recently has been an obvious attempt to stir shit and it would probably be best for all concerned if you were banned from here too. Unfortunately it won't happen. The only folk that seem to get banned are the ones who wind up Dave enough.

I might be brusque in the way I express myself but I'm not calling for the people I disagree with to be banned, that would just be petty.

Guest bluesxman
I might be brusque in the way I express myself but I'm not calling for the people I disagree with to be banned, that would just be petty.

It's not a matter of disagreeing with you or necessarily agreeing with the actions of others who have been banned, I just find the moderation of the site to be totally hypocritical. For instance, I tend to be pretty amaible on the whole, I expressed my opinion that Cloud is a cunt once and i'm getting the stock warning alerts going off.

Despite Neil's predictable speech, it doesn't matter at all what the level of insult is, an insult is an insult and you get away with blatantly insulting and ridiculing a large number of users on a regular basis and it's getting tired. The so-called 'rules' don't define what is and isn't acceptable, they use bland guidance to carry out bland moderation which has no bottle to live by the self appointed rule system.