aberdeen-music

my next available free gig slots are....

The Ghost Of Fudge

It's not the bands that need to be aberdeen based, it's their fans.

If the bands are based in aberdeen then their fans will be as well.

sheesh, how hard is this. Are you my wife in disguise?

Thank you. None of us are morons. I fully understand the concept. BUT I was not told our fans would need to be in town, I was told we couldn't play (regardless of how many friends/gigs we have) because we were from out of town. As I said before, our local town for gigging would be Aberdeen, it makes no difference if we don't live there. Can you grasp that? Our fans will not be based in New Deer/Mintlaw or anywhere else, as it's highly unlikely we'd ever gig there.

Thank you. None of us are morons. I fully understand the concept. BUT I was not told our fans would need to be in town, I was told we couldn't play (regardless of how many friends/gigs we have) because we were from out of town. As I said before, our local town for gigging would be Aberdeen, it makes no difference if we don't live there. Can you grasp that? Our fans will not be based in New Deer/Mintlaw or anywhere else, as it's highly unlikely we'd ever gig there.

It does make a difference because most of the people who go to see "local" bands in aberdeen are friends of the band. Hence, out of town bands normally take squat along with them cos of the travel/cost involved, hence he only wants bands from the city.

Percentages dear chap, percentages. The chances of an out of town "local" band taking a decent crowd with them are slimmer than a supermodel with bulimia.

That being the case he should have been completely upfront instead of spouting a heap of rubbish about bands needing to be 'Aberdeen -based' which, we have finally established, is a meaningless generalisation. I'm quite sure most bands would appreciate a clear and honest response from a promoter rather than 'fudge'.

oh for fucks sake.

in what way was i being unclear and dishonest?

it's a entirely meaningful generalisation. in general, i'm looking for aberdeen based bands to play these slots.

i asked them where they were from because their myspace just says 'aberdeenshire'. which is fair enough of course. but aberdeenshire's quite big. i just wondered which bit.

i even bothered to take the time to EXPLAIN why i was only really looking for aberdeen-based bands for these dates!

I G of F didn't have the courtesy to tell a band he didn't think they were suitable for the gig, thereby causing confusion.

WTF?!?

i told him in the aforementioned PM that the gig slot had gone now anyway.

and then i asked him, out of curiosity, where the band was from.

who's confused? me and theghostofcain know exactly what's happening...

BUT I was not told our fans would need to be in town, I was told we couldn't play (regardless of how many friends/gigs we have) because we were from out of town.

all i said was that the date had gone anyway, and that, yes, i'd been looking for an aberdeen based band.

the point i made was that i needed a band to pull in some punters (normally a 'locally' based band), because the australian ska band playing that night weren't going to be cheap.

i don't understand what the big deal is...

Hang on. In Cobra Kai, the singer is from Inverallochy, and the bassist is from Glasgow, but the guitarist and the drummer are from Aberdeen. However, now the singer has lived in Aberdeen for 10 years, the drummer has lived in Aberdeen his whole life but is married to a Swedish girl, the guitarist now lives in Udny, and the bassist lives in Balmedie but speaks with a Glaswegian accent. We practice in Captain Toms, and we have 69 friends on Myspace and 42 fans on Bebo. Can we have a local gig? :up::love:

So can you tell us exactly where your cut off point is just so we're all clear on this? Westhill? Bridge of Don? Stonehaven? Or are you going strictly by Council boundaries? What if half of a band is from city and half from 'shire? What if 'shire band rehearses in Aberdeen? Or vice versa.

You've got a REALLY bad attitude.

Anyway, a little tip for any inexperienced bands who're reading this... If a promoter turns you down for a gig you say, "Well thanks for taking the time out to listen to/consider us" and leave it at that. Having politely accepted their decision you could even ask them to point you in the right direction or keep you in mind in future.

That way you build your list of contacts and the next time you enquire about a gig the promoter doesn't remember you for all the wrong reasons.

Anyway, a little tip for any inexperienced bands who're reading this... If a promoter turns you down for a gig you say, "Well thanks for taking the time out to listen to/consider us" and leave it at that. Having politely accepted their decision you could even ask them to point you in the right direction or keep you in mind in future.

That way you build your list of contacts and the next time you enquire about a gig the promoter doesn't remember you for all the wrong reasons.

:up: (8 feckin characters)