aberdeen-music

my next available free gig slots are....

The Ghost Of Fudge

every gig is, like, 50/50 local bands / touring bands.

two local acts to bring along a crowd so everyone gets paid, and two touring bands to make things more interesting and unpredictable.

but the touring slots quite happily fill themselves up for months and months, because thousands upon thousands of bands are more than happy to play. touring slots are pretty much booked up til december just now.

it's always more difficult to get 'local' bands booked up. because there's lots of venues about, and i;m trying to book local bands who compliment the already booked touring acts. and all that. and who wants to see the same bands again and again and again anyway? variety is the spice of life and all...

plus, it's always like this in summer. bassists and drummers always seem to forget when they're off on holiday, and forget to tell the one booking the shows. not to gereralise or anything, but it's nearly ALWAYS the bassist.

so i occasionally post these messages when time is short and i need to book a band for a forthcoming night of fabulous entertainment. but i;m nearly always looking for a local band that can bring along some punters...

mon 4 aug - SNAFU

HOT MANGU TBC

CUDDLY SHARK

SUPPORT TBC

...and...

sat 23 august -MOORINGS BAR

HEADLINE TBC

DAEDALIAN tbc

BLIND AMBITION

STONE FIDELLA

...and...

sat sep 6th - MOORINGS BAR

HEADLINE TBC

J J PEARSON

LORDS OF BASTARD

SUPPORT TBC

if you're interested, please post here xxx

Mohare are ready, willing and able for the 23 August or 6 September slots.

MySpace.com - Mohare - - Rock / Progressive / Indie - www.myspace.com/moharerock

Cheers

sorry, should have said:

we're looking for aberdeen city based bands...

So can you tell us exactly where your cut off point is just so we're all clear on this? Westhill? Bridge of Don? Stonehaven? Or are you going strictly by Council boundaries? What if half of a band is from city and half from 'shire? What if 'shire band rehearses in Aberdeen? Or vice versa.

So can you tell us exactly where your cut off point is just so we're all clear on this? Westhill? Bridge of Don? Stonehaven? Or are you going strictly by Council boundaries? What if half of a band is from city and half from 'shire? What if 'shire band rehearses in Aberdeen? Or vice versa.

I think the point TGOF is trying to make is this: if you have a following who live in the city, regardless of where the band lives/rehearses, then that's good enough for fudge.

Anyway, there's plenty more gigs to be had to help bands build a following in the city so no stress.

I think the point TGOF is trying to make is this: if you have a following who live in the city, regardless of where the band lives/rehearses, then that's good enough for fudge.

Anyway, there's plenty more gigs to be had to help bands build a following in the city so no stress.

Clearly not, as the first question I was asked was "where are you from?" as opposed to "can you pull a crowd?" It doesn't matter if we could pull a crowd, we aren't local enough to Aberdeen to be classed as local. I personally wouldn't class a band from Mintlaw/New Deer as 'on tour' when playing Aberdeen. And in a similar point to Pictishpunkgirl, is a band that rehearses in Aberdeen but doesn't actually live there, still classed as an Aberdeen band?

Clearly not, as the first question I was asked was "where are you from?" as opposed to "can you pull a crowd?" It doesn't matter if we could pull a crowd, we aren't local enough to Aberdeen to be classed as local. I personally wouldn't class a band from Mintlaw/New Deer as 'on tour' when playing Aberdeen. And in a similar point to Pictishpunkgirl, is a band that rehearses in Aberdeen but doesn't actually live there, still classed as an Aberdeen band?

It's all about bums on seats, as was explained in the succinct but depressingly accurate treatise on the financial aspects of gigging from a promoters point of view.

To put it mathematically:

You live out of town=most of your friends live out of town=hardly anyone at the gig.

You live in town=most of your friends live in town=maybe, just maybe, enough of them will come through the door to pay the bills.

Anyway, as I said, there are enough venues and promoters in Aberdeen so it shouldn't be difficult to get a gig.

(btw, he didn't ask the question "where are you from? personally I think he looked at your myspace, saw you were from out of town and only had 21 "friends" and decided there was too much risk of none of the aforementioned bums being on seats anywhere in the vicinity of the gig)

the cut off point is anywhere we feel it should be. except on full moons, when the cutoff becomes the distance an unladen gazelle can travel in 37 minutes.

So the issue isn't the geography at all then? 'Aberdeen-based' is irrelevant if an out of town band has a loyal following that will travel? I see what you're getting at with regard to bums on seats but putting it in terms of being 'Aberdeen-based' is largely irrelevant and misleading 'cos if the Aberdeen-based band has no myspace friends they're not getting the fudge gig either.

Yes he did. It was in a PM.

Ah, a PRIVATE message.

Anyways, the point is, the promoter doesn't think you are suitable for the gig. End of.

I used to book bands and the one thing that really got on my tits was bands demanding to know exactly WHY they weren't getting a particular gig.Why? Because it's my decision and my continued success/mediocrity in my job relies on me making judgement calls. They may not be logical judgement calls but they're mine.

Accept it, move on, prove TGOF wrong by having 300 punters gagging for it at your first gig in town, then come here and gloat.

Sorry TGOF, this seems to have got out of hand. I should have left the PR part of what's left of your brain handle them in typical Fudge fashion.

Ah, a PRIVATE message.

Anyways, the point is, the promoter doesn't think you are suitable for the gig. End of.

I used to book bands and the one thing that really got on my tits was bands demanding to know exactly WHY they weren't getting a particular gig.Why? Because it's my decision and my continued success/mediocrity in my job relies on me making judgement calls. They may not be logical judgement calls but they're mine.

Accept it, move on, prove TGOF wrong by having 300 punters gagging for it at your first gig in town, then come here and gloat.

Sorry TGOF, this seems to have got out of hand. I should have left the PR part of what's left of your brain handle them in typical Fudge fashion.

That being the case he should have been completely upfront instead of spouting a heap of rubbish about bands needing to be 'Aberdeen -based' which, we have finally established, is a meaningless generalisation. I'm quite sure most bands would appreciate a clear and honest response from a promoter rather than 'fudge'.

at least you tried.

you can be our new attack dog if you like?

Grrrrr!!

Nah, just trying to point out the realities of life/business to artistes. Seem to spend most of my bloody life doing that.

ME: "No, you can't have that, it wasn't on your spec and we don't have the equipment to do it, if you'd told us in advance we could have maybe got it for you"

ARTISTE: *sulks*

Jeez, how hard is it to understand. If your mates (i.e. your audience, since you haven't even played a gig yet) were based in Aberdeen rather than Mintlaw then you may (or may not, see my post about 3 up and TGOF's post about gazelles) have got the gig.

Move on ffs. Is it really this important to you?

I understand perfectly. G of F didn't have the courtesy to tell a band he didn't think they were suitable for the gig, thereby causing confusion. Not important to me so chill, merely an observation that a bit of honesty would have been helpful.

That being the case he should have been completely upfront instead of spouting a heap of rubbish about bands needing to be 'Aberdeen -based' which, we have finally established, is a meaningless generalisation. I'm quite sure most bands would appreciate a clear and honest response from a promoter rather than 'fudge'.

It's not the bands that need to be aberdeen based, it's their fans.

If the bands are based in aberdeen then their fans will be as well.

sheesh, how hard is this. Are you my wife in disguise?

• Upvote 1