aberdeen-music

Major site upgrade!

Neil

Finally, at long last, aberdeen-music will receive the first major upgrade since late 2005 this coming weekend. The upgrade will consist of upgrading the forums to vBulletin v3.7.2 and the deployment of a completely new look and feel to the web site including the not-so-new-now logo.

What does this mean for you? Well, the web site will be completely closed from around 11pm BST on Friday, 18th July and will not re-open until Sunday, if not even later. If the upgrade is going to take longer than planned then an updated notice will be posted on the web site along with an estimate of when the site will re-open.

All user accounts, posts, threads, private messages etc will be preserved and so there is no need to take any action yourself. Just login as normal once the web site re-opens and enjoy (hopefully!) the updated look and new features. For details about some of these new features please take a look at this post on the vBulletin web site:

vBulletin 3.7 First Look! - vBulletin Community Forum

If anyone has any questions in the mean time then please reply below or contact me privately. Thanks!

Is the arcade still going to be there after the upgrade? I've made it my life's mission to get the top score on Yeti Sports 3 yet at the moment I am still only 18th in the leaderboard.

Yup. Although I'm becoming increasingly tempted to reset all the high scores to give the newer peeps a chance to get a top score.

Is the arcade still going to be there after the upgrade? I've made it my life's mission to get the top score on Yeti Sports 3 yet at the moment I am still only 18th in the leaderboard.

I fecking hate that game. I basically get the same score everytime somewhere around the 1500 mark. I just cant get any more. Stupid lazy yeti.

Yup. Although I'm becoming increasingly tempted to reset all the high scores to give the newer peeps a chance to get a top score.

Yeah you should do that. I can't get near any of the top scores! And some of them are being held by people who don't even use the site any more..... Maybe reset them once a year?

Yeah you should do that. I can't get near any of the top scores! And some of them are being held by people who don't even use the site any more..... Maybe reset them once a year?

The scores have now been cleared and scores older than 12 months will be removed automatically from now on.

Couple of things have bugged me while using the site today-

Entering passwords every time we have to perform an admin task like deleting posts/threads could get irritating.

Refreshing the new posts search doesn't actually refresh the new posts search (you have to click on it again). I thought there'd been nothing for 2 hours, turns out there had been.

Which leads to: Where's the live update gone? Used it all the time, really miss it now.

It took me ages to find the user CP (Quick Links if anyone else is looking).

Internet Explorer 7

Right, just tested this with IE7 myself and you're right! There's no "remember me" box on the front page, so it doesn't remember your login.

As a temporary workaround until Neil fixes it you can login using the screen you get when you try and do something that requires login. Close your browser, open it again and come to the site then click reply to thread in the music discussion forum or one of the other main forums without logging in. You should get a login screen with a remember me box, tick the box and login and your cookies shall be remembered.

As a sidenote for Neil, while investigating this I also noticed that users who aren't logged in can now access member's profiles but you had to login to do this before.

Right, just tested this with IE7 myself and you're right! There's no "remember me" box on the front page, so it doesn't remember your login.

As a temporary workaround until Neil fixes it you can login using the screen you get when you try and do something that requires login. Close your browser, open it again and come to the site then click reply to thread in the music discussion forum or one of the other main forums without logging in. You should get a login screen with a remember me box, tick the box and login and your cookies shall be remembered.

As a sidenote for Neil, while investigating this I also noticed that users who aren't logged in can now access member's profiles but you had to login to do this before.

I don't think there was a remember me button before, it just did it... anyway who cares. I won my highscore back on Yeti Sports 5. Huzzah!

Entering passwords every time we have to perform an admin task like deleting posts/threads could get irritating.

This shouldn't be happening and doesn't happen for me. What browser and OS are you using?

Refreshing the new posts search doesn't actually refresh the new posts search (you have to click on it again). I thought there'd been nothing for 2 hours, turns out there had been.

By design. The search has to be performed again in order to see the new posts so that's why refreshing doesn't work.

Which leads to: Where's the live update gone? Used it all the time, really miss it now.

Isn't currently compatible with vBulletin 3.7 so it's gone until someone upgrades it.

It took me ages to find the user CP (Quick Links if anyone else is looking).

I was going to have a direct link to this on the main navigation bar but I was conscious of it getting too wide for people on lower resolutions. Happy to re-consider this decision though.

Ah, crap. IE strikes again. Okay, I'll add this to the to-do list.