aberdeen-music

Reputation system changes

Neil

Is there a pattern to it's reputation giving or has Cloud been the only one to suffer her/its wrath?

EmoSkatergirl16 Neil 02:27, 12th Jul 2008
EmoSkatergirl16 Cloud 02:44, 12th Jul 2008
EmoSkatergirl16 JF9TP2 02:45, 12th Jul 2008
EmoSkatergirl16 Lucky Rathen 02:45, 12th Jul 2008

Heh, didn't realise she tried to give me bad rep as well! The fool.

It's possible - but a bot that tries to give out reputation to a handful of random users? Bot's exist normally to just spam forums.

The first four users on this thread...how absolutely bizzare :s

Anyone with a Hi5 account able to send her a message to ask? Surely someone wouldn't create such an irritating profile on there as a front to spam reputation comments..I mean, weirder things have happened, but this is just strange.

Yep, unfortunately some people go to the effort of accessing the web site through proxy servers hosted in exotic countries in order to hide their identify (yes, some people are actually that sad on here) so the IP address can often be no use.

I've found this particular user's Hi5 profile page though: hi5 - xxXxxXxxEmoSkaterGirl16xxXxxXxx

Fake or not fake? It's a lot of effort to go if it's fake.

Hee hee.... some people eh?

Anyone with a Hi5 account able to send her a message to ask? Surely someone wouldn't create such an irritating profile on there as a front to spam reputation comments..I mean, weirder things have happened, but this is just strange.

I wouldn't worry about it. She didn't leave any comments anyway and it's still unclear whether she was trying to leave positive or negative reputation.

This isn't making us immune from criticism though. You can criticise the staff (only constructively please!) in the threads as normal, or separately in the Comments & Suggestions forum and of course privately via PM/e-mail. I accept the reputation system is a good way of giving on-the-spot feedback about a particular post though, be it positive or negative.

The reason I actually had in mind when I disabled staff from being able to use this system is the staff being accused of favouritism or victimisation if they were to give give/take away reputation from other users. Take myself for example, because of how many posts I've made and how long I've been registered on the web site, my influence level is probably around 25 points. So one negative reputation comment from me and that is someone losing 25 reputation points right there and then.

And what punishments and rewards? One of the rewards is likely to be Supporter status once someone gets X amount of positive feedback. Such a status would be of no benefit to a staff member. Punishments might include temporary bans once someone reaches X amount of negative feedback - what happens if a staff member were to get banned? Yes, it would be amusing, but if it happened to me then no-one would be in control of the web site! :p

Do see what I'm getting at? By keeping the staff out of it completely then we leave the users to rate each other and only each other. The staff remain neutral.

Ah OK I see your point. I didn't realise there were to be punishments and rewards for having positive / negative feedback. It's a pretty good system, I like it, though it's still a little confusing for my tiny brain.

Yep, unfortunately some people go to the effort of accessing the web site through proxy servers hosted in exotic countries in order to hide their identify (yes, some people are actually that sad on here) so the IP address can often be no use.

I've found this particular user's Hi5 profile page though: hi5 - xxXxxXxxEmoSkaterGirl16xxXxxXxx

Fake or not fake? It's a lot of effort to go if it's fake.

Fake or not that link just fucked my computer. I opened the Hi-5 link, and when I tried to close it it opened like 20 about:blank pop-ups, every time I closed one it opened another 10, I had like 120 windows open. Then I had to go and explain to the IT Manager how I managed to break my computer when I'm supposed to be updating our company website. Open with care!

Fake or not that link just fucked my computer. I opened the Hi-5 link, and when I tried to close it it opened like 20 about:blank pop-ups, every time I closed one it opened another 10, I had like 120 windows open. Then I had to go and explain to the IT Manager how I managed to break my computer when I'm supposed to be updating our company website. Open with care!

I wish I'd got to the end of this thread & read this before clicking on "her" link.

Use Firefox and you won't have this problem.

I notice now we only have reputation points and not influence points. Is this an intentional thing, or is it related to the upgrade?

The influence points are still there, indeed they have to be otherwise the reputation system wouldn't work, but they are now hidden from view for the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
I think it's to do with that person not being cool enough to affect you.

Pretty much. It's actually grey (to my eyes anyway) and it means the person has given you reputation (be it negative or positive) but they have a reputation power of zero and so it has no effect on your reputation total. New users, users with a low post count and/or bad reputation usually fall into this category of user.

Pretty much. It's actually grey (to my eyes anyway) and it means the person has given you reputation (be it negative or positive) but they have a reputation power of zero and so it has no effect on your reputation total. New users, users with a low post count and/or bad reputation usually fall into this category of user.

Ahhh, ok. Anyway to tell if it was going to be positive or negative?