aberdeen-music

Oil

you may have noticed the price at the pump has dropped since the americans decided to open talks with the iranians. It may go down further given recent statements by former high ranking american foreign policy advisors (scowcroft, brzezinski) ( US/IRAN: Scowcroft, Brzezinski Urge Bush to Drop Precondition ) urging the american government to start *unconditional talks* with iran that don't stipulate suspension of uranium enrichment (which the iranians are perfectly entitled to do as signatories of the nuclear non proliferation treaty) as a precondiction to any kind of diplomatic discussion.

I wish people would pipe down with this 'cars are a luxury, not a necessity' crap. Cars have become so integrated into our society that they have become a necessity for a lot of people, and it isn't fair to just tax the crap out of motorists, the burden should be spread out a little more evenly... Either that or this 6bn extra a year can go into reducing the cost of fuel so that everyone gets a break.

For you a car is obviously a necessity but for most urban dwellers (which is most people in the UK) I would argue that it is a luxury.

The tax hasn't risen so how can it be any less fair than it was 2 years ago?

My fuel bills tell me the burden is being spread.

How about using the extra 6bn to alleviate domestic bills instead, then everyone would get a break.