aberdeen-music

Selling a flat

framheim

well, it's maybe a teeny bit squint but it's hardly hanging off at one side or anything. i think you'd have to be a right picky bastard to not view a flat cause the quilt wasn't running completely straight along the bottom of the bed. it's hardly tracy emin is it?

i'll concede the other points but i'll beg to differ on the damend quilt :)

the bedroom is massive though, it's so hard to tell with pictures but for a 1 bed flat in rosemount it's pretty big.

Only trying to help, and if one person picks up on it how many others will? I really do think small details like that are worth bothering about in the current market.

The only other advice I can give you is maybe to change the wall colour in the bedroom to something more neutral if you're not getting many views after a few weeks. I'm currently redecorating my entire flat with a view to leasing it and everyone tells me that neutral is the only way to go for selling/leasing. For the price of a pot of paint and a few hours work...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm, there are a few key differences there. obviously the dining kitchen being the biggest one, it's in a nicer area too and has a proper garden. in saying that though it does show the difference in decor. i refuse to believe that someone lives in that though, it looks like a show flat. perhaps that is the point.

for us to acheive that look we'd almost have to move out entirely, and extensively redecorate which would cost more than we can afford let alone take more time than we can spare. i think i shall consult with my solicitor and see what they're saying.

hmm, there are a few key differences there. obviously the dining kitchen being the biggest one, it's in a nicer area too and has a proper garden. in saying that though it does show the difference in decor. i refuse to believe that someone lives in that though, it looks like a show flat. perhaps that is the point.

for us to acheive that look we'd almost have to move out entirely, and extensively redecorate which would cost more than we can afford let alone take more time than we can spare. i think i shall consult with my solicitor and see what they're saying.

The garden is a hindrance more than anything else I would say, hassle to maintain (supposedly communal) and not really much use when you're in a flat. But yes, it is a nice area and the rooms are all big. No central heating though.

They can and do live there I can assure you. You only need to get it looking like that

(a) For the photos

(b) For a couple of weeks while doing viewings

As I said, first thing I did was clear out ALL my crap to my mum's and my wife's grandads, ie all guitars, all books, CDs, DVDs. Other things like surround sound speakers etc, even my hifi. You really need to be down to the bare essentials.

As Dave's missus I'm gonna add in my two cents here.

You have to remember that we may have to live in this flat for another 6 months or more - I don't see how day to day life can possibly go on in a show flat for long periods of time!

Yeah the guitars should have been away for the picture, but we need to keep them in the flat as I have band practice. Same goes for some of the other things that have been left.

As Dave said painting the rooms is a huge job that we neither have the time or the money for. And anyway you should have seen the colour of the bedroom when we bought it! Colour doesn't put everyone off.

I think he was looking for more useful criticism not a deconstruction of our lifestyle. One comment was surely enough on this.

While a(nother) revamp and new photos may help, this is not really an option at the moment considering we have just spent money on the current ones. Information and ideas about putting ads in the paper etc was more what we are looking for.

I think everyone who has posted (including me) has been trying to help you sell your flat. It's not intended as a "deconstruction of your lifestyle", and I'm sorry if it's difficult to hear.

The fact is that it's easy to say "We can't do this/that" but you may have to if you want to sell. Yes, the market is slowing, but as I pointed out my pal's one bedroom flat has been out the door with viewers and is going to a closing tomorrow after a matter of weeks.

I understand exactly how difficult it is as I am having to keep my house in "showroom condition" just now with a one year old toddler who is probably even messier than your better half. ;)

At the end of the day all this is only advice and you can take it or leave it, but I would guess that you would realise that just about everything that has been said is fair comment and necessary.

And I did give some advice on ads, I wish I'd had the same advice before I flushed 120 down the toilet. :)

but as I pointed out my pal's one bedroom flat has been out the door with viewers and is going to a closing tomorrow after a matter of weeks.

That flat is much nicer than 90% of the stuff I've seen come on the market in the last few years (I try and keep an eye on what's for sale near me just out of curiosity), that's why it's popular. Flats in that kind of condition are going to fly out the door no matter what the market is like.

That flat is much nicer than 90% of the stuff I've seen come on the market in the last few years (I try and keep an eye on what's for sale near me just out of curiosity), that's why it's popular. Flats in that kind of condition are going to fly out the door no matter what the market is like.

True, but I've been round there plenty of times when it wasn't looking like that. I was more trying to get at the kind of effort you need to make in terms of presentation, yes it's a pain in the arse but if you do it well your flat will be sold in a matter of weeks.

True, but I've been round there plenty of times when it wasn't looking like that. I was more trying to get at the kind of effort you need to make in terms of presentation, yes it's a pain in the arse but if you do it well your flat will be sold in a matter of weeks.

That's fair enough. You honestly should have seen Dave's flat before they got the photos done though. I'm astonished how much they tidied...

Also, as an aside. When I'm buying somewhere I prefer to see it lived in, rather than pristine and covered in rental friendly neutral colours. So the odd wine bottle and a guitar in the corner is not a problem.

I can't stand all those house selling programs on TV that say you have to get rid of all signs of life and paint everything white or you'll never sell.

Bigsby is correct about getting rid of a lot of stuff.

If the flat looks personal to you then people who are thinking of buying won't be able to imagine what it's like to live in it.

I know its a weird concept but your flat has to look impersonal so it gives the prospective buyers a blank canvas.

What Bigsby said.

Bear in mind that we're not deconstructing your lifestyle but merely trying to help you present the flat in a way which will maximise the amount of people interested. You are trying to sell the flat and not your lifestyle and people prefer the "blank-canvas" look because it's easier to imagine their personal belongings being in the flat if your stuff isn't.

Good luck anyway, I hope you don't come back to all this advice in 3 months time and go "maybe they have a point".

EDIT: Damn you Hog.

Also, as an aside. When I'm buying somewhere I prefer to see it lived in, rather than pristine and covered in rental friendly neutral colours. So the odd wine bottle and a guitar in the corner is not a problem.

I can't stand all those house selling programs on TV that say you have to get rid of all signs of life and paint everything white or you'll never sell.

Good for you, but I'm afraid it seems that most other people see it differently!

On the guitars, maybe someone else in the band could take them for the time being and take them along to practice? Otherwise a guitar on a nice stand, maybe in the corner of the living room, will look much more appealing.

Also, do you have a car? My car is full of stuff just now that I need occasionally, when we have a viewing all the junk gets piled in the car and the car gets parked up the street.

Believe me, I know about the sacrifices you have to make to sell. I had to take down my signed Dire Straits, Les Paul and Kris Kristofferson posters because other people wouldn't necessarily see them in their "lifestyle". :down:

I do appreciate the advice and maybe was being slightly defensive in my last post.

It's just coz I slogged my guts out for over a week getting the place like that and it seems it wasn't good enough. That was a horrible week, and the thought of having to do more is not a good one!

I think you're in the minority there. And all those programs you hate, those are normally people who sell homes for a living giving the advice (or used to anyway, before they got their TV contracts) so maybe their advice is at least worth considering.

Anyway, "rental friendly" colours are a lot easier to paint over and make rooms look bigger.

Flats in that kind of condition are going to fly out the door no matter what the market is like.

not necessarily true

I would say the flat I had was in equally, if not better condition and in a better location - took three months to sell due to the downturn. (Which is a long time compared to recent history)

This was also partly due to the number of flats on the market at the same time, including newbuilds.

I had to work very hard to get it to 'showflat standard' whilst living in it like that for the whole three months. It's a sacrifice that just had to be made.

I think you're in the minority there. And all those programs you hate, those are normally people who sell homes for a living giving the advice (or used to anyway, before they got their TV contracts) so maybe their advice is at least worth considering.

Anyway, "rental friendly" colours are a lot easier to paint over and make rooms look bigger.

I know I'm in the minority... doesn't mean I have to like them though. Just think those programs are so patronising. Flats are one thing but they do the same to family homes and it just seems so soulless, a home should look like a home. Not some off white, empty space with no heart.

Also those programs make everyone think they're some hotshot property developer building their portfolio, they forget that the majority of people are just trying to climb the ladder to get more space for the kids.

Just as a counter point to all this anti clutter propaganda, we sold out flat around 18 months back and although it was tidy, I had hundreds of video games, dvds and cds on my shelves, and it sold in under 24 hours and there was still people phoning for a good couple of weeks after for viewings. Obviously the market is different now, but I wouldn't say that you have to make your flat like a dental surgery for it to sell.

Just as a counter point to all this anti clutter propaganda, we sold out flat around 18 months back and although it was tidy, I had hundreds of video games, dvds and cds on my shelves, and it sold in under 24 hours and there was still people phoning for a good couple of weeks after for viewings. Obviously the market is different now, but I wouldn't say that you have to make your flat like a dental surgery for it to sell.

the market 18 months back was insane though. even solicitors couldn't believe what was happening then. back to reality now though with a huge bump.

obviously we do appreciate the advice, all of it, but we can probably say that the state of my flat has been discussed enough and i wish i'd asked before we'd put it on the aspc. so let's move on..

What Bigsby said.

Bear in mind that we're not deconstructing your lifestyle but merely trying to help you present the flat in a way which will maximise the amount of people interested. You are trying to sell the flat and not your lifestyle and people prefer the "blank-canvas" look because it's easier to imagine their personal belongings being in the flat if your stuff isn't.

Good luck anyway, I hope you don't come back to all this advice in 3 months time and go "maybe they have a point".

EDIT: Damn you Hog.

You should have gone to Specsavers:laughing::up:

Guest Laura@TMB

Only scan-read this thread, so apologies if this has been mentioned already. I've one suggestion for you re the bedroom. The way you have your bed shoved right into the corner of the room suggests from the photo that there's not enough room to have a bedside cabinet either side of it, and you have no alternative other than to have the bed squeezed in to where it is now. Therefore the room seems small, although on reading the schedule and checking out the dimensions this is not the case. Would suggest moving the bed along to where the bedside cabinet is just now then you can hide all your shoes and stuff round the other side :-). A nice flat - good luck with finding a buyer.

Only scan-read this thread, so apologies if this has been mentioned already. I've one suggestion for you re the bedroom. The way you have your bed shoved right into the corner of the room suggests from the photo that there's not enough room to have a bedside cabinet either side of it, and you have no alternative other than to have the bed squeezed in to where it is now. Therefore the room seems small, although on reading the schedule and checking out the dimensions this is not the case. Would suggest moving the bed along to where the bedside cabinet is just now then you can hide all your shoes and stuff round the other side :-). A nice flat - good luck with finding a buyer.

funnilly enough that's how we used to have the bedroom but it meant there wasn't a lot of room either side. having the bed against the wall means there's loads of floorspace in the centre of the room making it feel bigger. it's a good point though.

Guest Laura@TMB

Yeah, I know what you mean re space, but at least your saying - hey this is a double bedroom where two people can get round to their own sides of the bed. Your kitchen looks very sterile to me (I know that's what people want), but it's crying out for a plant or two imo to break up the white? On top of the wall unit beside the window would be nice.

Right, that's enough, I'm starting to sound like that patronising cow off of the tv.

ps get the mirror on the wall in the bedroom ;-)

edited to say, by sterile I just mean the light coming through the window hasn't helped the look of the room if you know what I mean.

when i sold my flat, it was half empty. there was no sofa in the living room, but there was a piano and a lot of plants. everything was shifted to highlight the pretty gas fireplace i put in. i borrowed a mirror to hang above the fireplace from my mum.

my mum came round and totally changed my flat, practically moved me out before it went on the market, in any case she had been verbally deconstructing my lifestyle for years and i was comfortable with the fact that i wasn't houseproud yet. she fixed all that. she didn't make it look as if no-one lived there, she just made it look as if nice people lived there.

another thing was that i did all the viewings myself. my girlfriend at the time later commented that she was surprised how well i managed to keep churning out the same bullshit night after night. and that was before i put the flat on the market, hohoho! but seriously, get your patter sorted and know what people want to hear. work out early on if they are buy to let or first time buyers and adjust accordingly. for homeowners you sell the lifestyle story, location, sell the dream etc... for buy to letters it is about how you can cram 2 people in the bedroom, turn the living room into another bedroom, charge more money, grow drugs in the cellar, etc. etc. oh no wait maybe it's the other way around.

it is definitely more difficult to keep a flat tidy when two people live there, which is why i made a conscious effort to get my girlfriend out of there and into her own flat. not everyone has that luxury though. i'd definitely recommend the idea of putting extraneous stuff in boxes and storing it temporarily at a friends/parents house etc. after all, your moving soon, right?

when i sold my flat, it was half empty. there was no sofa in the living room, but there was a piano and a lot of plants. everything was shifted to highlight the pretty gas fireplace i put in. i borrowed a mirror to hang above the fireplace from my mum.

my mum came round and totally changed my flat, practically moved me out before it went on the market, in any case she had been verbally deconstructing my lifestyle for years and i was comfortable with the fact that i wasn't houseproud yet. she fixed all that. she didn't make it look as if no-one lived there, she just made it look as if nice people lived there.

another thing was that i did all the viewings myself. my girlfriend at the time later commented that she was surprised how well i managed to keep churning out the same bullshit night after night. and that was before i put the flat on the market, hohoho! but seriously, get your patter sorted and know what people want to hear. work out early on if they are buy to let or first time buyers and adjust accordingly. for homeowners you sell the lifestyle story, location, sell the dream etc... for buy to letters it is about how you can cram 2 people in the bedroom, turn the living room into another bedroom, charge more money, grow drugs in the cellar, etc. etc. oh no wait maybe it's the other way around.

it is definitely more difficult to keep a flat tidy when two people live there, which is why i made a conscious effort to get my girlfriend out of there and into her own flat. not everyone has that luxury though. i'd definitely recommend the idea of putting extraneous stuff in boxes and storing it temporarily at a friends/parents house etc. after all, your moving soon, right?

that's what we did with our house, and we sold it in two weeks, that was 5 weeks ago...so I am not sure if we "just" made it before the slowdown kicked in.

One thing we did notice, is that we only spoke about the "good things" - If you've got a noisy street, only say that if someone asks...it's not "cheating".

Also, NEVER mention that it's "a bit small for comfort" or such things - only talk about the positives. (assuming you're doing your own viewings, as spellchecker said).

I can't agree enough with this. Hosting the viewings yourself is a must. I've yet to manage to buy a place (I'm playing the waiting game now to see if prices can drop a bit more) but I've viewed heaps of places in Aberdeen in the past and it made a big difference to me personally if it was the owner of the property showing people around the place.

I want to be able to ask questions like what are the neighbours like, what work has recently been done to the place, why are they moving etc. Quite often if the solictors are showing people round the place they just let you through the front door and leave you to it. You rarely get much information out of them and often find yourself herded right back out again before you get a decent look around. They are just interested in getting as many viewings done in the shortest possible time.