aberdeen-music

[GIG] The Wave Pictures @ The Tunnels

THE WAVE PICTURES

AUGUST 14TH / THE TUNNELS

7.30PM

5.00 advance / 7.00 at door

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Wave Pictures

The Wave Pictures are David Tattersall (guitar), Franic Rozycki (bass) and Jonny ''Huddersfield'' Helm (drums). During their career The Wave Pictures have played at The Mofo Festival in Paris, at various venues in New York and across the UK.

The Wave Pictures formed in 1998 when Franic and David lived in a village called Wymeswold. The band played with several drummers until Jonny became a permanent member in 2003.

In the beginning the band learned to play together by covering Jonathan Richman songs but soon David was writing lots of original material. These songs along with a few covers comprise the albums More St. Less TV and Just Watch Your Friends Dont Get You, which were recorded at home over two days, using an old tape four-track.

Following unsuccessful attempts to record in a studio with an unsympathetic producer, the band continued to record at home to keep a track of Davids prolific output. These recordings formed the next three albums The Airplanes At Brescia, The Hawaiian Open Mic Night and the recently released Sophie.

The interest generated by these recordings has enabled The Wave Pictures to play shows all over the world with artists including Jeffrey Lewis and the aforementioned Herman Dune, who invited them to play at The Mofo Festival. Through playing gigs, sending CDs to people across the world, and word of mouth The Wave Pictures have gained a cult status and a small but devoted international following.

Latest album and debut album for Moshi Moshi, "Instant Coffee Baby", was released on May 5th. It can be ordered from the Moshi Moshi shop. It includes the singles "I Love You Like A Madman" and "Strange Fruit For David".

Quotes

Not only did I appreciate his take-no-prisoners musical stylings but also the imaginative lyrical ideas I found mighty refreshing. This is a man who clearly harbours no ambition to be seen hobnobbing with Dido at the Met Bar and has opted instead to plough a righteous but lonely furrow.

- Nick Lowe

Nothing short of splendid, resplendent and heartbreaking. The future is now!

- BSR Radio

Okay, you guys. This is the deal. The Wave Pictures are despairingly good. Despairingly because they ain't signed and they don't have a huge following who send them flowers, photographs and panties. They should.

- Hywel's review of The Wave Pictures in ROKU DISTRO fanzine

Combine the song-writing genius of Jonathan Richman (plus a touch of his wondrousnaivety), the lo-fi humility of Herman Dune and a few guitar moments that Springsteen himself would be proud of, and you get close to the underexposed marvels on display here. Imagination, humour, melodies and chords, twangy basslines of beauty. These things will make you grin. They are a loveable band. The kind of band whose songs you put on all mixtapes, who you urge your friends to listen to. The kind of band you send panties to...

Quote - Hywel's review of The Wave Pictures in ROKU DISTRO fanzine

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUPPORT FROM:

THE LITTLE KICKS

www.myspace.com/thelittlekicks

REVEREND SHEPHERD

www.myspace.com/reverendshepherd

• 3 weeks later...

tunnel 1 - for sure

should be grand

i have tickets for this now to sell!

and after royal mail being utterlly useless tickets are finally now available in one up

you need to see this band, first listen passed me by but stick with it, really infectious songs, honest and funny lyrics and dare i say it a fun band live who are great to watch!

PM me or email me for tickets.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm in the same boat, but going into town to get an advanced ticket would set me back about a fiver in bus fares.

tell you what boyos, richard and larsen b.

ill keep two tickets for you at advance price 5 and leave them at the door for you tomorrow?

how does that sound?

just email me here if thats what you would like to do - steven.milne@barflyclub.com

what he said.

much better than my suggestion.

you can have a nice shiny ticket waiting for you at the door with a friendly smile of service from graeme or myself as you pick it up.

hmm, that maybe sounds creepy.

OK, if I come I'll get my ticket from ticketweb. Thanks for the other offer though, very kind. Do I get a refund if you don't smile though?