aberdeen-music

Amp Advice

SeaOfEnergy

Im looking to get myself a PROPER amp thatll last me a few years and deliver the sounds i want. Ive narrowed my search down to a few amps in particular and was wondering if anybody had any opinions on the following which could help me narrow things down further :

1/ Marshall Vintage Modern (100w)

2/Peavey 5150/6505/+

3/ ENGL Powerball

4/Randall RM100M

5/ ENGL ritchie Blackmore

Im looking for versatility (i.e good clean and distortion at high volumes) due to the variety of sounds i use for Cranial (clean/delay/heavy) and i dont want any one particular sound i use to overpower the others.

I know the best way to decide is to take your guitar to a shop and try some out but until i actually do this any advice you folks can share would be appreciated.

:up:

Im looking to get myself a PROPER amp thatll last me a few years and deliver the sounds i want. Ive narrowed my search down to a few amps in particular and was wondering if anybody had any opinions on the following which could help me narrow things down further :

1/ Marshall Vintage Modern (100w)

2/Peavey 5150/6505/+

3/ ENGL Powerball

4/Randall RM100M

5/ ENGL ritchie Blackmore

Im looking for versatility (i.e good clean and distortion at high volumes) due to the variety of sounds i use for Cranial (clean/delay/heavy) and i dont want any one particular sound i use to overpower the others.

I know the best way to decide is to take your guitar to a shop and try some out but until i actually do this any advice you folks can share would be appreciated.

:up:

I don't like the Vintage Modern. For yourself, I'd look more at the 4 channel JVM. Though, they can be a bit fizzy in my opinion. We (R&B) have one in stock (VM), feel free to come try both and see what ya think.

The + models of the 6505 and 5150 in comparison to the regulars have a smoother lead channel with less grainy attack. They're very cutting in the mids and thus rule for pushing through in a band situation. Maybe (Bonesaw) Bazz will chime in, he owns an original 5150 (not the II). ;)

ENGL Powerball - I used to own one for around a year (the v2). Very good amp. Very versatile. Cleans are very full sounding (they're stock with 6L6s and so have a very well rounded, Fender-esque clean). Channel 2 (crunch) certainly does sublte, bluesy overdrive if that's what you're going for. Channel 3 (lo gain/lo lead (I forget)) was my rhythm sound. SoundClick artist: Element 106 (UK) - Heavy Thrash/Death Metal from Aberdeen, Scotland. go there and listen to "Exile", especially at 1.38. That is JUST the Powerball. I can supply the settings I used for that particular sound if ya wish. EQ was reasonably flat and the frequency response is quite drastic so plenty of scope for boosting/scooping any range. :) There are 2 master volumes on there which is good for solo boosting. You may use an EQ pedal or some overdrive (tubescreamer or other) for this, but if you don't want the sound coloured at all, then JUST a volume boost can come in handy. Same goes for if you have a 'quiet' section where you require full on distortion just at a lower volume ;)

Randall RM100M - there's lots of versatility to be had with these, but it all depends what modules you are using really! I believe that it's any 3 at a time. The new KH modules (well, especially the KH-2 and KH-3) sound pretty good. They also do Recto types, Blackface etc. I've not really heard a bad thing about them. However, I've never used one. Just heard clips. :down:

ENGL Blackmore - to the best of my knowledge, it's gain structure is similar to the Powerball but it's a bit smoother in it's delivery. (I think) the on-board controls for EQ adjustment and such are more laid out like the Fireball so shared gain etc. may be an issue. I'll have to check that though! Again, never had the chance to try one so I can't comment just as fairly.

The reason that I sold the Powerball - if you were planning on asking - is that I wanted something that cut even more and was a bit more focussed in the midrange. That's where the ENGL E670 SE (EL34 version for me) comes into play. It's super versatile, has lots of fun buttons for bottom end boosts, mid boosts, two treble knobs on each channel etc. etc. etc.! From the above soundclick link, the track "Killjoy" features the SE. I prefer it, but it's all each person's own taste. Got to keep in mind that the SE is really quite ridiculously priced compared to the Powerball, Blackmore, 6505 etc.! :up:

The Vintage Modern is a good amp but it doesn't really do brutal distortion too well...It sounds great for playing Black Sabbath riffs and more 'rock' stuff.

Peavey 5150 has a good heavy distortion sound, lots of cut. I've heard the cleans are not too good...Although I have no first hand experience with this.

The other amp on the list that I have used is the Powerball. There is one of those in the Moorings. As 'HateEvent' said it's really versatile, you can really fine tune the sound that you're after.

Thanks for the advice guys, yeah hatevent your amp is fucking shit hot, i remember using it at the tunnels gig o_O easily the highest spec amp ive ever played.

TBH im not feeling like i want a marshall, ive been looking at the H&K trilogy or the Warp X, dont spose anyones tried either of these out?

Im thinking the Randall RM100m is out of the question cuz its too expensive preloaded and i dont know which modules id be after.

I just need to try out a bunch i think, its just the more i find out the harder the decision seems to be getting! ?(

I really really don't like the Vintage Modern. I'd avoid a modern Marshall unless you're going to fork out for Modifications. I got my JCM2000 modded (because it comes as standard with fizz and buzz a mile wide) and now it's a powerhouse of warmth and crunch, like a JCM800 with a bit more gain available. Superb. But modern Marshalls just don't pull their weight without some modifying. Not since Jim Marshall cashed in and started selling terrible, terrible solid-state amps to beginners and children and took his finger off the pulse of valve amps. He hasn't really produced anything worthwhile of its pricetag since the 800 series.

Peavey 5150/6505 is a one trick pony. They simply don't do clean. Just less distortion, but nothing sparkly. A very slick overdrive though, but the higher wattage models just don't seem to sound as saturated as I'd expect a valve amp to. Not for me. I need the crunch.

I haven't used the others, although the ENGL's I've heard being played sound tasty!

will def agree with the 5150 not having great cleans, i have one of the first year of production and it has great distortion but the cleans are just so weak. so they aint very versatile. never tried the newer ones although i have heard the new 5150 3 is quite an amp. i guess if you put a bit of delay and chorus on the clean channel it will sound nicer. other thing is if you are needing an amp that has a clean, rhythm and lead sound then the 5150 cant give you that. its either lead and clean or rhythm and clean.

heard good things about the ENGL amps. if you can afford it get yourself a boogie. like a roadster or stilleto or something like that. very versatile amps.

Marshall wise i would recommend a DSL 50 to be honest rather than a JVM. mixed opinions from a lot of people over them but they are great sounding amps

I don't like the Vintage Modern. For yourself, I'd look more at the 4 channel JVM. Though, they can be a bit fizzy in my opinion. We (R&B) have one in stock (VM), feel free to come try both and see what ya think.

The + models of the 6505 and 5150 in comparison to the regulars have a smoother lead channel with less grainy attack. They're very cutting in the mids and thus rule for pushing through in a band situation. Maybe (Bonesaw) Bazz will chime in, he owns an original 5150 (not the II). ;)

ENGL Powerball - I used to own one for around a year (the v2). Very good amp. Very versatile. Cleans are very full sounding (they're stock with 6L6s and so have a very well rounded, Fender-esque clean). Channel 2 (crunch) certainly does sublte, bluesy overdrive if that's what you're going for. Channel 3 (lo gain/lo lead (I forget)) was my rhythm sound. SoundClick artist: Element 106 (UK) - Heavy Thrash/Death Metal from Aberdeen, Scotland. go there and listen to "Exile", especially at 1.38. That is JUST the Powerball. I can supply the settings I used for that particular sound if ya wish. EQ was reasonably flat and the frequency response is quite drastic so plenty of scope for boosting/scooping any range. :) There are 2 master volumes on there which is good for solo boosting. You may use an EQ pedal or some overdrive (tubescreamer or other) for this, but if you don't want the sound coloured at all, then JUST a volume boost can come in handy. Same goes for if you have a 'quiet' section where you require full on distortion just at a lower volume ;)

Randall RM100M - there's lots of versatility to be had with these, but it all depends what modules you are using really! I believe that it's any 3 at a time. The new KH modules (well, especially the KH-2 and KH-3) sound pretty good. They also do Recto types, Blackface etc. I've not really heard a bad thing about them. However, I've never used one. Just heard clips. :down:

ENGL Blackmore - to the best of my knowledge, it's gain structure is similar to the Powerball but it's a bit smoother in it's delivery. (I think) the on-board controls for EQ adjustment and such are more laid out like the Fireball so shared gain etc. may be an issue. I'll have to check that though! Again, never had the chance to try one so I can't comment just as fairly.

The reason that I sold the Powerball - if you were planning on asking - is that I wanted something that cut even more and was a bit more focussed in the midrange. That's where the ENGL E670 SE (EL34 version for me) comes into play. It's super versatile, has lots of fun buttons for bottom end boosts, mid boosts, two treble knobs on each channel etc. etc. etc.! From the above soundclick link, the track "Killjoy" features the SE. I prefer it, but it's all each person's own taste. Got to keep in mind that the SE is really quite ridiculously priced compared to the Powerball, Blackmore, 6505 etc.! :up:

hate, have you ever tried an EQ in the effects loop or front of the amp? apparently if you put an EQ in the loop of mesa and ENGL amps its quite a difference for the better. I havent got an EQ to try it with though so i am curious if you maybe tried it?

Supposedly it really kicks an amp like that into gear

hate, have you ever tried an EQ in the effects loop or front of the amp? apparently if you put an EQ in the loop of mesa and ENGL amps its quite a difference for the better. I havent got an EQ to try it with though so i am curious if you maybe tried it?

Supposedly it really kicks an amp like that into gear

I did with the Powerball yeah. It really fattened it up. I set the EQ (MXR 10 band) as a frowning face (boosted mids) and it was great for thickening up the sound when it came to lead sections.

I haven't tried it yet with the SE as I've dialled in the exact sound I want without anything in the loop or out front except for a noise gate :)

We (Element) are playing Tunnels tomorrow, I'll be using the SE there. If anyone wishes to hear it pop along ;)

renn (blessed guitarist) uses a peavey 6505+ and it sounds absolutely brilliant, probably pretty much perfect for what you want it to do.

The clean channel sounds great, its got a really creepy lo fi sound to it.

the distortion channel is just great, can do stupid amounts of gain, but why would you want to?

The stock tubes are Ruby's, and I would recommend changing them as I believe there are chinese cheapies, maybe if you get it, retube the whole thing with JJ's or Sovteks?

Would sound amazing.

renn (blessed guitarist) uses a peavey 6505+ and it sounds absolutely brilliant, probably pretty much perfect for what you want it to do.

the distortion channel is just great, can do stupid amounts of gain, but why would you want to?

The stock tubes are Ruby's, and I would recommend changing them as I believe there are chinese cheapies, maybe if you get it, retube the whole thing with JJ's or Sovteks?

Would sound amazing.

Yeah I run JJ KT77s in the power section of my ENGL - I think they sound immense. :)

Would sound amazing.

Yeah I agree with Scott - 6505s are crushingly heavy amp. Love the tone.

Although the clean channel is fucking awful... (unless you are after the afore mentioned lo-fi dirty cleans)

I reckon cranial are more after clearer, warmer and sparklier cleans (eg. tool/floyd) than the lo-fi thing...

But you don't buy a 5150/6505 for the cleans... you buy it for the most awesome punishing metal tone there is. Especially with a tubescreamer in front of it, and a cab with V30 speakers. It's also great value for money.

yeah im feeling in two minds about the 6505, just because of the clean channel not being that great, im lookiing at maybe gettin a soldano lucky 13, i heard its got good clean and distortion, means spending a bit more but in the long run its an investment im prepared to make. Im gonna have to try out a 6505 first but dan atom has the right idea about what sort of clean we're after so im veering away from it, although when i saw suffocation using them in glasgow the heavy guitar had killer tone ! choices choices ?( I know theres plenty of good amps out there, its just finding the right one for what im wanting to do and a pure metal monster isnt gonna cut it for the proggier stuff we're wanting to develop.