aberdeen-music

thoughts on aberdeen

Ollie

Guest bluesxman
I don't like Aberdeen. Why not move? Well I would if it wasn't for the fact that most of my work is in Aberdeen.

Find work elsewhere then? Must be an option if you have confidence in your work? If it's that bad surely the effort would be worth it?

It's not just Aberdeen, it's all cities; they're just a homogenous mess for the most part. People mindlessly spending their weekends trawling shopping centres for something to wear when they go shopping next weekend.

Having said all that, I feel Aberdeen has a fine heritage and plenty of interesting people to boot. Yes there are negatives which have been discussed, but they're pretty much the same negatives you'll find across the UK. Although the city's long term future is unclear, it'll definitely still be here.

If you truly want to feel different, think more about how you live than where you live.

Yeah but this isn't thee 'answer' to culturally moving forward/progressing

What mustn't happen is that the cultural sector sits back and waits for this to 'be' the solution we have all been waiting for. The only way the building will work is in it being becoming 'part' of an existing bigger picture and that bigger picture is everyone getting on and making their ideas and plans come to life and to not to talk shop all day.

The Peacock building, or whatever it will be called, has great potential but can only ever succeed as part of something and not as the something on it's own.

true, but there's a shit load of amazing arts + creativity already happening in aberdeen + area.. but sometimes hard to source where n when it's on...

so yes, while it shouldn't just be the answer 'to move forward' it will undoubtedly become the epi-centre for artists + creatives to have a real voice in abz... and attract newcomers to sectors they didn't realise they had the opportunity to explore.. all through a cutting edge building a mere 2hrs from the might of the central belt and the possible tourism benefits

with peacock currently hidden away behind the drunks of the castlegate.. and the stoic old-school arts centre hardly inspiring folk to get creative (with all the facilities it + other locations already offer) it is an amazing opportunity for aberdeen to take the arts forward with confidence, and most importantly, retain the skilled graduating talent that mostly seem set to head for pastures down south.. and who could previously blame them

dundee's DCA took art to the masses and the simmering talent came out in force..

ps.. project slogan has just opened new premises on langstane pl

pss. there should be an arts thread in this forum

psss. the skinny launches here soon which will hopefully give a greater voice to music, arts, comedy etc

pssss.. dr lecter has sipped chianti with the finest 'bodies' in europe but hasn't given up hope of ABZ coming good... just look at the opportunities and professionalism the skate park has given to many young riders

Yeah but this isn't thee 'answer' to culturally moving forward/progressing

What mustn't happen is that the cultural sector sits back and waits for this to 'be' the solution we have all been waiting for. The only way the building will work is in it being becoming 'part' of an existing bigger picture and that bigger picture is everyone getting on and making their ideas and plans come to life and to not to talk shop all day.

The Peacock building, or whatever it will be called, has great potential but can only ever succeed as part of something and not as the something on it's own.

Possibly "Thee" most "Pretentious" thing i have "heard" , "ever" (Did i use too many Inverted Commas there?!?() What a tool. Seriously!! LOL.

What do you suggest..... that we get Philosophers, missionaries, Nobel Prize Winners & just general World Icons to come to the grand opening of this as part of a (or maybe your) "movement" (oh there are those pesky inverted commas again), so the whole city can be enlightened & cultured and just in general to see the error of our mediocre ways...!? So we can be a united city that buys nothing but independantly baked bread

FUCK. OFF.

I think Aberdeen has plenty of nice things if you know where to look.

That's the problem. Finding them. Everyone is retarded without the internets these days and Aberdeen isn't exactly that 'wired' although this board is very useful for snouting around for info.

Like, how many people know there's a rad hole-in-the-wall sushi place in the market now?

Possibly "Thee" most "Pretentious" thing i have "heard" , "ever" (Did i use too many Inverted Commas there?!?() What a tool. Seriously!! LOL.

What do you suggest..... that we get Philosophers, missionaries, Nobel Prize Winners & just general World Icons to come to the grand opening of this as part of a (or maybe your) "movement" (oh there are those pesky inverted commas again), so the whole city can be enlightened & cultured and just in general to see the error of our mediocre ways...!? So we can be a united city that buys nothing but independantly baked bread

FUCK. OFF.

WTF?

Settle down.

All he's saying is that the new Peacock Centre shouldn't be the whole game, there needs to be creative communities outwith it for the new building to succeed.

Hardly pretentious, especially for someone who is employed to help culture in the city.

That's the problem. Finding them. Everyone is retarded without the internets these days and Aberdeen isn't exactly that 'wired' although this board is very useful for snouting around for info.

Like, how many people know there's a rad hole-in-the-wall sushi place in the market now?

been there for ages hasn't it. its is rather fucking good though.

somehow the idea of buying sushi from anywhere near aberdeen market makes me feel queasy.

I can see your point but i swear its pretty good...

though i expect some comment back about "hating life" or living in "hell" or "all music is shit etc.." or what not...try it man! you'll enjoy it.

Go for it - stick on a rave tape and you can have yourself your own little party!!

I can only see a bright future for Aberdeen.

Yes it has its fair share of junkies and scumbags, but it's certainly no worse than any other city in the UK. I’ve seen more violence in some rural towns on a Saturday night than I have in the city centre. Aberdeen is generally a safe place to live.

There are so many exciting new developments going helping to improve Aberdeen too:

• The AWPR by-pass will have dramatic effects to various areas of the city, reducing traffic levels everywhere from the Haudagain to the Bridge of Dee, from the Beach Esplanade to the North Deeside Road.
  • The Union Square/Guild Square centre will be a massive lift to the shopping available in the city, integrating the train and bus stations and attracting new shoppers up here or retaining locals who would maybe head to Glasgow.
  • The pedestrianisation of Union Street will open up the whole area to become a much more pleasant place. No more crowded pavements or that familiar wait outside M&S for the green man to cross the road.
  • The demolition of the council offices will reveal the hidden historical gem of Provost Skene’s house, creating a new public space and bringing Marischal College back into daily use.
  • The extension of the Bon-Accord centre into the Gallowgate area adding more shopping capacity.
  • New arts centre in Union Terrace Gardens, which will not only provide an exciting new venue but rejuvenate the under-used gardens.
  • Trump’s Pitch n’ Putt at Balmedie: Bringing in the tourists, jobs and a bit of glamour.

Of course there are objections to many of these projects on various grounds, but they will all help improve this city.

Oil production and exploration will decline at a slow rate over the coming decades. However this is an ageing workforce. A huge proportion the people employed in the industry are expected to retire in the next 10-15 years and this will more than make up for any decline in jobs. Thousands of people will be needed in the industry to start gaining the experience necessary to fill these vacancies.

Unemployment in Aberdeen will remain low, and all those retiring old-boys will start pumping their retirement funds into the pubs, golf courses and garden centres all over the north east.

It just seems to be the character of this city, or maybe just human nature, to have a good moan.

The weather is shite, the food is shite, the traffic is shite, the music scene is shite, my jobs is shite, football team is shite, the nightlife is shite. How many times have you heard any of those expressions lately? How many of them are actually true?

I’m rarely on here nowadays but just thought I’d add my 2p.

Ta.

The Union Square/Guild Square centre will be a massive lift to the shopping available in the city, integrating the train and bus stations and attracting new shoppers up here or retaining locals who would maybe head to Glasgow.

The pedestrianisation of Union Street will open up the whole area to become a much more pleasant place. No more crowded pavements or that familiar wait outside M&S for the green man to cross the road.

?(?(?(?(?(?(?(?(?(

ooooohh... a nasty, unpleasant whiff has displaced the crisp cherry flavour of my tuscan goblet in hand... what foolish words i see before me by way of man TONY

Union sq will be filled with the most hideous retail + entertainment outlets knows to mankind.. right in the middle of a port and THE FIRST THING THE LOVELY NEWCOMERS TO THE CITY SEE ON ARRIVAL AT EITHER STATION.. it's a monstrous grey shoebox devouring the landscape of listed facades.. including the potential of the tivoli etc.. absolutely demonic, unimaginative behaviour.. and with the slogan 'THINKING OF YOU'. I'm sorry but this design + development is not acceptable in this century.. even if a few lower echelons of humanity achieve a job on the lowest pay bracket as a result. Ask yourself, who benefits?? local independents i fear not.. let us all bland out together into a paste of stovy mush

As for pedestrianising the main thoroughfare.. for what i say?? so more alcohol induced demons have space to pish, shit and vomit on an evening?!? the road is over 50ft wide and will act as a bigger wind tunnel that moses could create on a day out to a curry factory.. try erecting your lovety bistro seating there...we're hardly squashed as it is... my word, think dear boy, THINK TONY THINK

and the main problem i see from these 'ideas' is the almost certain demise of The Green and harbour areas into stylish alternatives... blandom ensues and we lose initiatives to devleop them and the disgusting plight of those abandoned premises on bridge st totally fails..

again totally unacceptable and serious backward thinking from serial town killers... utterly shocking, shocking i say.

your other points hold some weight but lets not jump at every idea being a good one just because it is new.. behold the heritage Tony Marlin