aberdeen-music

thoughts on aberdeen

Ollie

?

Don't get so damn offended that I think your accent is less than amazing.

So who would you like me to sound like. John Snagge? Harry Lauder? Calum Kennedy? Vivian Stanshall? Bjorn Borg? Russell Brand?

I only ask because the language I use with my contemporaries is that we heard from our parents; I can, and do,use standard english when necessary to make myself comprehensible to outsiders, in common with others from every region of the British Isles and the English-speaking world. The accent I have is part of who I am, and I doubt you would point out to my face, or any other mink, how much you despise it.

Bemused puzzlement might ensue.

Dundee is scarily affordable now, and is having government money thrown at it: I'm planning to buy a flat there and rent it while I'm overseas.

Every city peaks and troughs, but the shit will hit the fan big time in Aberdeen when the oil vanishes and J. Foreigner looks for money elsewhere. Luckily for everyone on this forum, that probably won't be our generation's problem, so why should you care anyway?

It will be like a glorified version of Grimsby. Only with an even worse dialect.

:up:

Any idea when the oil will disappear? come on - Grimsby is a fucking shit hole

So who would you like me to sound like. John Snagge? Harry Lauder? Calum Kennedy? Vivian Stanshall? Bjorn Borg? Russell Brand?

I only ask because the language I use with my contemporaries is that we heard from our parents; I can, and do,use standard english when necessary to make myself comprehensible to outsiders, in common with others from every region of the British Isles and the English-speaking world. The accent I have is part of who I am, and I doubt you would point out to my face, or any other mink, how much you despise it.

Bemused puzzlement might ensue.

Holy shit man - this is getting tedious.

Go and read my posts.

Speak however you like, I don't want you to sound like anyone. I really don't care. I just don't dig on doric.

I don't think an accent is a sign of anything. Nothing to do with intelligence or anything silly like that. And I don't think people should stop talking with their shitting accents just because I don't like it.

But the fact remains - I don't like it.

I don't want to insult you as you have just joined in this thread and actually seem to be able to contribute, but this is actually starting to take the piss now.

Read my posts.

P.S. Why did you describe yourself as a mink?

• Upvote 1

Does anyone have something good to say about Aberdeen?

There's plenty of good things to say about Aberdeen:

1. It's a pretty safe city with low crime rates.

2. It has a wealth of pubs and clubs to suit most tastes and in a lot of cases you are spoiled for choice

3. It is relatively unpolluted for a city of its size and doesn't suffer too much from littering and traffic fumes.

4. It is very well placed if you enjoy outdoor related sports.

5. Aberdeen and Balmedie Beach are pretty nice beaches.

6. It is growing more and more as a multicultural environment.

7. There is quite a decent range of shops for a city of this size.

8. It has two of the best Universities in Scotland.

9. The arts/music communities are growing and blossoming and are quite diverse (yet again) for a city of this size.

I'm sure i can come up with some more given some time, those were just off the top of my head. I enjoy living in Aberdeen. I've lived in a lot of other places in my life and the only places i enjoyed living more were Sydney and Adelaide. Fair enough, Aberdeen can seem bleak and overbearingly grey on some days but on others it can be pretty. Barring any job related moves out of necessity there is nowhere in the UK that i would rather live than Aberdeen.

the worst thing about aberdeen is the aberdonians themselves. No amount of nice restaurants, art centers, shift in the quality of the nightlife etc is going to change the fact that aberdonians are largely ignorant racist smallminded uneducated materialistic shallow barely human scumbags, most of whom have practicaly given up language and reverted to communicating with each other through animalistic grunts and violence, and none of whom can actually think for themselves to any extent that might differentiate them from any of the other mindless plebs that live here. The funny thing is a lot of these worthless homunculi actually believe they are middle class, because they live in a semi detached house and drive a modestly expensive car.

I'm moving away in the near future, and it will be the best thing I've ever done.

I tihink you're correct but not because people are uneducated.

I think most people in the world, regardless of location or class, are very smart and very recpetive.

As for the Aberdonian dialect, it's cool.

It has a wealth of pubs and clubs to suit most tastes and in a lot of cases you are spoiled for choice.

The only places i enjoyed living more were Sydney and Adelaide. Fair enough, Aberdeen can seem bleak and overbearingly grey on some days but on others it can be pretty. Barring any job related moves out of necessity there is nowhere in the UK that i would rather live than Aberdeen.

Prince of Wales is a lovely little boozer.

Yeah I've noticed a lot of people bashing Oz for one reason or another (did I see someone citing neds as a problem there?), but I lived there for a years working holiday and found it quite safe. Brisbane was filled to the brim with tons of random shit to do. Brilliant country.

Have you lived in any other UK city?

Stirling. I also have spent a lot of time in Birmingham (Family), Wolverhampton (Family), Glasgow and Edinburgh. I have lived in two large towns as well: Dunfermline and Dumfries and with Dumfries being so close to Carlisle i've spent a lot of time there two. I also spent long periods of time over summers on the Isle Of Wight as i had family there too

When your Father works for the Government you move about quite a bit and see a lot of different places and people.

I think i'm quite well versed with different areas of the UK.

Yeah I've noticed a lot of people bashing Oz for one reason or another (did I see someone citing neds as a problem there?), but I lived there for a years working holiday and found it quite safe. Brisbane was filled to the brim with tons of random shit to do. Brilliant country.

Australia is a great place. I would like to go back to Adelaide when i'm older if i can.

The closest things to Neds in Australia would be Bogans, and to be honest the guys and girls that i met who would be classed as that were for the most part leagues above your average Glaswegian Ned.

Hi guys,

I have not had a chance to read all the posts on this thread but I hope that people are not being too unfair.

I have lived in Aberdeen for all of my life (basically). However, the amount of foriegn and Scottish musical talent that we have had over here is immense. Of particular mention is the great work done by Sharon (Drakes) and all the other people involved with Drakes.

Mike and all the other Folk at Interesting Music Productions, Graham etc, and countless other people including Stuart Maxwell, also deserve a mention. In addition, many Aberdonian bands have pushed our music scene, perhaps unwittingly, and for that I think that the city will benefit, greatly.

Personally speaking I spent a lot of time with Mark Nicol at Exile. He did his job well - he was a Producer. It happened that he took an active interest in local bands (Perhaps local has a new meaning nowadays, embracing all of Scotland as opposed to only Aberdeen), and, notably, individual musicians.

It says a lot for our scene that Mark produced bands that are still talked about in Scotland and elsewhere.

Aberdeen has a strong collectivity. I remember that someboday earlier on in the week posted a thread which criticized the lack of collectivity between the varoius artists in Aberdeen. They were wrong.

There are people here who want to push the art and academic scene. In fact, there are plans in place to integrate the work of artists at RGU and Social Scientis and Aberdeen University.

Anyway.

ciao.

Ollie

Arguments like this are groundhog day to me - coming from a small town, all you hear is people your age wanting to get away & saying how shite it is. Then they move & they start moaning about the place they've moved to. it's a relentless cycle of blaming their surroundings or their geography on their unhappiness or their failings at work or whatever.

A city is a city. It's not reponsible for your career, private life, happiness or anything - it's just a place where people stay.

Some of the comments here are laughable - from people justifying how they great the place is because of some random sandwich shop is to how shit it is as they can't get a decent loaf of bread. Serisouly, what insidious middle class wankery. The snobbery is also hilarious, albeit bordering on prejudice - that's right, blame the neds and uneducated masses on this threat of violence you feel. How many of you have experienced reall violence? The type of violence that involves 148 murders a year, not some "tyre fitter" calling you a poof for spilling his pint.

Get off your arses and stop moaning you buch of pampered, wet behind the ears snobs. Make your environment how you want it to be, stop moaning about how you think it should be.

Arguments like this are groundhog day to me - coming from a small town, all you hear is people your age wanting to get away & saying how shite it is. Then they move & they start moaning about the place they've moved to. it's a relentless cycle of blaming their surroundings or their geography on their unhappiness or their failings at work or whatever.

A city is a city. It's not reponsible for your career, private life, happiness or anything - it's just a place where people stay.

Some of the comments here are laughable - from people justifying how they great the place is because of some random sandwich shop is to how shit it is as they can't get a decent loaf of bread. Serisouly, what insidious middle class wankery. The snobbery is also hilarious, albeit bordering on prejudice - that's right, blame the neds and uneducated masses on this threat of violence you feel. How many of you have experienced reall violence? The type of violence that involves 148 murders a year, not some "tyre fitter" calling you a poof for spilling his pint.

Get off your arses and stop moaning you buch of pampered, wet behind the ears snobs. Make your environment how you want it to be, stop moaning about how you think it should be.

Kinda what ive been trying to say...!

What's wrong with having a good moan?? I love a good moan. Have you seen the fucking weather??? It's horrid. There, that felt good! Aberdonians love a good moan and it's a good place to live if yer a whinging pomme!:up:

Must admit the weather is fucking awful!!! Specially today...anyone got a spare canoe for the w.end?

Like I said - what's the benchamark?

what do you expect?

Where's this fabled Shangri-La you seem to think exists somewhere else in the country?

The benchmark? I've spent lots of time in cities from Tangier to Perth WA and I can safely say Aberdeen is at the bottom of the list of places I would choose to live in.

The responses of people to criticism of the city in this thread say it all really...

"if you don't like it fuck off"

"if you're not aberdonian fuck off"

"where are you gonna go instead eh, timbuktu?"

"what are you doing to change it eh?"

sounds almost like these people are in denial of their situation to me.

*applauding*