aberdeen-music

thoughts on aberdeen

Ollie

If there's one thing that pisses me off more than people moaning about the shithole that they live in, it's the ones who live there and NEVER actually plan to do fuck all about it.

:up:

Complaining about things is as least a start, keeping your head down trying to behave like everyone else is the truly cowardly thing.

Making the best of what I have here but I would move country if the opportunity arose and everything fitted to do so. Rather than moan and complain about 'how shit it is' maybe try doing something about it. Even if that thing makes you, and maybe your nearest and dearest, a little happier until you move, then at least you will be smiling a little more. Griping about how crap things are must be really draining

and given that I am unlikley to move country anytime soon I have my sights set on the countryside where there are less toonsers. Best learn to drive first though

I find it to be a safe city for the most part and I heartily enjoy not getting chibbed on Friday nights, but I hate the inverse snobbery of Aberdeen folk, for whom it is a crime to articulate your conversation in any manner other than broad, ugly doric, although a lot of Scottish cities are prone to that.

I somehow doubt that any city other than Aberdeen has a large percentage of doric speakers. But I get your point, and being a pretty anglicised Scot, I dislike that myself. Fuckin' accent snobs... I try to be AS LOUD AND AMERICAN AS I CAN POSSIBLY MANAGE FROM FIVE YEARS OVER THERE i find it succesfully fucks them off :up:

I somehow doubt that any city other than Aberdeen has a large percentage of doric speakers. But I get your point, and being a pretty anglicised Scot, I dislike that myself. Fuckin' accent snobs... I try to be AS LOUD AND AMERICAN AS I CAN POSSIBLY MANAGE FROM FIVE YEARS OVER THERE i find it succesfully fucks them off :up:

if you're literate, speak clear english, and don't like football, you're fucked.

Complaining about things is as least a start, keeping your head down trying to behave like everyone else is the truly cowardly thing.

so your not a coward for sitting there pissing and moaning and not having the bottle to do anything about it?

Aberdeen is fine the grass is always greener somewhere else.

if you're literate, speak clear english, and don't like football, you're fucked.

Alcohol is working on the first two, but I could never manage football. I'm just too fuckign middleclass. Fuck them, any way. Aberdonians are mostly a pain and most of my friends tend to be implants, and that's always been the case, though not neccesarily from too far afield.

I quite obviously said that other Scottish cities are prone to inverse snobbery, not Doric.

Of course, I don't care to stop people speaking with their natural accents (even though I happen to find the local Aberdeen Doric inflection hideous), but rather I would prefer not to be looked at funny for pronouncing a word correctly.

I quite obviously said that other Scottish cities are prone to inverse snobbery, not Doric.

Of course, I don't care to stop people speaking with their natural accents (even though I happen to find the local Aberdeen Doric inflection hideous), but rather I would prefer not to be looked at funny for pronouncing a word correctly.

I have difficulties with complex apostrophication (if that is a word (and I prefer nested parentheses)) but I was just being a dick, anyways! What sort of accent do you have? I can't tell exactly why Aberdonians are snobbing me. Your skills must be better honed.

This really is the worst major city in Scotland. (And I'm counting Dundee.)

Unfortunately, I have to say I concur. Once the oil and gas dries up you'll see the likes of places like Dundee and Inverness becoming bigger and better developed than Aberdeen in the medium to long term.

Although I also have to say that those who live in Aberdeen and endlessly complain about it should really just put-up or shut-up. It took me nearly 10 years, but at least I did it in the end.

christ if you hate doric you must be in hell living in turriff!

i've lost count of the amount of times i've been mistaken for english by people but it doesn't bother me. the only hassle i've ever really had was at my cousin's wedding in banff when some kids were trying to tell me i wasn't proper scottish because i don't have a strong accent. pretty hard to compete with a strong buchan accent mind but it was just banter.

personally i like a bit of doric but it would be unnatural for me to suddenly start speaking doric all the time and putting on a teuchtar accent.

i like living in aberdeen and have never been one to moan about it too much. it's what you make of it really. it's safe, has some cracking countryside/beaches around it and has some decent places for a pint. i don't really need or want much else to be happy. the food scene seems to be getting a bit better and there's enough decent bands coming to keep me happy without making me skint. it'd be nice if there was more opportunities with my qualifications but i guess i'll just have to work harder because of that.

A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away - extract

Europe's Oil Capital. Honestly. The first time he heard the expression, he'd assumed it was a bit of self-deprecatory humour. That was before he learned that there was no such thing as self-deprecatory humour in Aberdeen, particularly when it came to the town's utterly unfounded conceit of itself. It was a provincial fishing port that had struck it astronomically lucky with the discovery of North Sea oil, and the result was comparable to a country bumpkin who had won the lottery, minus the dopey grin and colossal sense of incredulous gratitude. The prevalent local delusion wasn't that the town had merely been in the right place at the right time, but that it had somehow done something to deserve this massive good fortune, and not before time, either. Nor did the billions ploughed into the area's economy stop them whining about every penny of Scottish public money that got spent anywhere south of the Stracathro motorway service station.

He didn't imagine the locals had first asked anyone else in the European oil industry whether they concurred before conferring this status upon their home town, but working in marketing he at least understood the necessity of such misleading promotion in face of the less glamorous truth. 'Scotland's Fourth City' wasn't exactly a winning slogan, especially considering that there was a dizzyingly steep drop-off after the first two, and it still put them behind the ungodly shit-hole that was Dundee.

The also self-conferred nickname 'Silver City' was another over-reaching feat of turd-polishing euphemism. It was grey. Everything was grey. There was just no getting away from it. The buildings were all - all - made of granite and the sky was covered in a thick layer of permacloud. It. Was. Grey. If Aberdeen was silver, then shite wasn't brown, it was coppertone. It was grey, as in dull, as in dreary, as in chromatically challenged. It was grey, grey, grey. And the only thing greyer than the city itself was the fucking natives.

Doric sometimes does my bloody head in.

It's these intensely fake doric accents you here people put on.

If thats how you "spik" then fair enough.

For example i hate Scotland the What for this very reason.

And going back to my school days reading poetry written in doric was a most cringe worthy experience.

My English teacher convinced me to do a reading at some function thing he was hosting. The reason he gave me for wanting me to do it was that when i read the stuff i just spoke like i always do and didn't do that fake shit.

I had another point to make but having got carried away typing that i have forgotten.

It was a good point too..i think.

Stand free....

You do speak some shite. Now i dont know if you live in Aberdeen or not but if you do and you don't like it then fuck off. Im sick of ppl moaning about it who make little effort to do anything about it. And if you dont like football - then fuck off too ;)

Did you know...Sicily has pretty much the same population as Scotland.

My most hated element of Aberdeen is the thoroughly vile Sat night, union street dumping spree - where the most disgusting people imaginable congregate and fully release the steam valve that has seemingly come under so much pressure from another week changing tyres at KwikFit - when the lurking insecurities of many repressed beings come forward simultaneously and manifest themselves in swaggering leers and grimy, stomped-on chip boxes.

Did you know...Sicily has pretty much the same population as Scotland.

My most hated element of Aberdeen is the thoroughly vile Sat night, union street dumping spree - where the most disgusting people imaginable congregate and fully release the steam valve that has seemingly come under so much pressure from another week changing tyres at KwikFit - when the lurking insecurities of many repressed beings come forward simultaneously and manifest themselves in swaggering leers and grimy, stomped-on chip boxes.

Spot-on!

I actively avoid Union St. at weekends.

If i do have to drive down there the doors are locked because if you even attempt to slow down some bawbag will try and open a door.

Its nae Johannesburg buddie...

No i know but i don't want some drunk asshole climbing in demanding to drive him home.

I'm not a fucking taxi.

Is it too much to ask to be able to drive down the main street without being harrassed.

I have even witnessed drivers getting grief for having the audacity to stop at traffic lights.