aberdeen-music

thoughts on aberdeen

Ollie

I am due to leave this city in the near future and was reflective of its future, both as a major scottish city and major scottish city for currents in music.

Do people think that Aberdeen will grow in comparison to Edin and Glas or fade away?

Ollie

I used to hate this place. Miserable, gloomy, boring, slow, stagnant, sterile slab of grey under a greyer sky by a grey sea.

Then I left to live in cities full of crime, filth and violence. Now I live in a clean, beautiful and relatively safe city.

It is a bit shite, but I too love how we know it's shite. No defensiveness from the 'deen! We're rubbish:up:

Guest idol_wild

In terms of music, I know people who are extremely prominent and talented members of the Edinburgh music "scene" and they feel that Aberdeen's musical output is stunning. They've only been exposed to so much (Kitchen Cynics, No Pasaran, Jess Yong, Kartta, Copy Haho, Lazy Sheepdog, Debutant, Fiction/Action, Hookers Green #1, Holy Folks, and old-school Dedalus) but they think the "scene" up here is fantastic.

I guess it's all about perspective and expectations.

I have been to many gigs in Glasgow and Edinburgh featuring the cream of their local talent, and they've been just as dead as many of the gigs up here.

Its unlikely it will 'fade away' as it has survived since 1319 in the formal sense of its status as a Royal Burgh and c.8000 years of habitation prior to this. When the Oil peaks and expires I would expect house prices to align themselves more realistically, but I suspect it would take a society/species ending catastrophe to wipe the place out. The Uni will always attract some incomers, and some natives will always want to escape, but there is NOWHERE like Aberdeen, and that has to be worth something.

Glasgow is interesting but in a permanent schizoid mindset trapped between plush and grim. A self-loathing place.

'Mon the dons.

Its unlikely it will 'fade away' as it has survived since 1319 in the formal sense of its status as a Royal Burgh and c.8000 years of habitation prior to this. When the Oil peaks and expires I would expect house prices to align themselves more realistically, but I suspect it would take a society/species ending catastrophe to wipe the place out. The Uni will always attract some incomers, and some natives will always want to escape, but there is NOWHERE like Aberdeen, and that has to be worth something.

Glasgow is interesting but in a permanent schizoid mindset trapped between plush and grim. A self-loathing place.

'Mon the dons.

Stand Free....

Must admit there is alot worse than Aberdeen. Sure somebody will moan about it on here soon enough - but hey just add's to be an Aberdonian i suppose! I lived abroad for 5 years and i must admit there are worse places...

I like Aberdeen fine. Likely wont be here constantly as the institution I want to work for doesn't have an office up here but I'll probably leave and come back. It may not be so big and multicultural after the oil is finished but that's going to take a while anyway.

I'm always surprised when I'm in a part of Aberdeen that I'm not often in- there are always bars, restaurants etc that look interesting but I have never been to and sometimes have never even heard of. I don't make the most of this city and doubt a lot of people do, but they probably still moan about it.

Aberdeen is good at what it does, just like any other town/city. I think it depends what you want. Years ago when my band were young and menkle, we used to go down to London to play heaps of gigs for a few weeks at a time. It was always a total blast and coming back to Aberdeen was sooo depressing. Compared to the energy and sheer non-stop lunacy of London it felt like a tiny backward village. Then we all went and did our own thing, and our bass player moved down there and is still there. But now he can't wait to get out and come home. And I think we all kinda feel the same now, we just can't be arsed with London, (or Glasgow or wherever). Neither London nor Aberdeen has changed, but we have.

There's really no excuse for complaining about living in a place you hate - life's too short. There's pretty much always something you can do about it.

Aberdeen is good at what it does, just like any other town/city. I think it depends what you want. Years ago when my band were young and menkle, we used to go down to London to play heaps of gigs for a few weeks at a time. It was always a total blast and coming back to Aberdeen was sooo depressing. Compared to the energy and sheer non-stop lunacy of London it felt like a tiny backward village. Then we all went and did our own thing, and our bass player moved down there and is still there. But now he can't wait to get out and come home. And I think we all kinda feel the same now, we just can't be arsed with London, (or Glasgow or wherever). Neither London nor Aberdeen has changed, but we have.

There's really no excuse for complaining about living in a place you hate - life's too short. There's pretty much always something you can do about it.

Too true. It's great living in a big, cosmopolitan, vibrant city for a time, but I found that it got on my nerves after a while and I developed an ernest desire for everyone to just get the fuck out of my face. People (mostly) leave you the hell alone in Aberdeen and I very much appreciate it. Plus, it's not so pasty faced as I recall. I think I can survive here for a time. But when I get on my tirades, I should be off again!

growing up form ages 13-17 i hated aberdeen, complaining about the lack of things to do at my age, going through several hobbies to pass the time, but now I don't mind aberdeen at all.

Having been sent to small towns for training I know I have to live in a city like aberdeen cause I can't be assed with big cities (glasgow etc) and I hate towns, it's like living with an extended family for a week or two.

I'll bide my time in Aberdeen, I don't feel I need more to be honest

Gaaaaaaaaame, shot, and the match: Frosty Jaaaaack!

I'm planning to emigrate out of this whole piss-ridden country(never mind just Aberdeen) next year when I've got a bit of wonga stashed away. If there's one thing that pisses me off more than people moaning about the shithole that they live in, it's the ones who live there and NEVER actually plan to do fuck all about it.

:up: