aberdeen-music

Female Singer/Songwriter... but good!

Stichman

MySpace.com - Anna Meldrum - Glasgow, UK - Acoustic / Pop - www.myspace.com/annameldrum

This talented lady has been making waves in Glasgow with her oh-so-pretty acousto-pop beats. She also happens to be supporting us at the Tunnels on the 24th July.

Any thoughts? Would you come to see her? Do you detest this sort of music with all your of your black, black heart but can accept that she's pretty talented? Or would NOTHING be enough to justify your attendance of a Headlight gig?

Let me know, let me know.

I quite like it, even though she's a perfect example of the kind of female singer/songwriter which I generally hate. Quite twee but she's got a good voice. Could be one of a bunch of people though, she doesn't stand out for me.

This is quite twee but I think when it's done well live music like this can sound great.

YouTube - Ingrid Michaelson, "Giving Up"

If she can sing well live then probably worth watching in my book, the songs are not that bad really (compared with a lot of crap like this that you get). It always impresses me watching someone perform live when it's all about tone and quality of voice, it they can pull it off it always sounds better live.

This is quite twee but I think when it's done well live music like this can sound great.

YouTube - Ingrid Michaelson, "Giving Up"

If she can sing well live then probably worth watching in my book, the songs are not that bad really (compared with a lot of crap like this that you get). It always impresses me watching someone perform live when it's all about tone and quality of voice, it they can pull it off it always sounds better live.

Yeah I agree, her voice is probably the main attraction, but I reckon her songs are a pretty good vehicle for it. I'm not too convinced about being 'twee' though, interestingly I wouldn't say the songs on her myspace are lyrically her best tunes.

Also, she's not playing on the 24th anymore, but will be making an appearance before the summer is over. Lovely.

Guest idol_wild
Joan Baez and Kate Bush. I can't believe more people don't like Kate Bush. She really is a genuinely creative, inspired and progressive musician.

Kate Bush is pretty popular, y'know...

I've not listened; the fact she's imitating Peaches Geldof in her profile pic put me right off. It's a pic that reeks of submission to the global media bollocks world. Therefore I assume the music is probably made on poor motives. She's probably average successful and average good looking, therefore im keeping my distance, lest she infect me with the volatile sap of mediocrity.

May I add. I hate the attitude of singer songwriters who have acoustic guitars and lyrics. contrived, mock-humble, cardigan modesty. Honestly, I know - I've met two.

Guest idol_wild
Yeah, with over 40s. I mean my friends / peers etc.

Gotcha.

I don't know a single person over the age of 40 who likes Kate Bush. Except people I used to work with in One Up.

I know a multitude of people into Kate Bush and they are all of an age with me (I'm in my 20s).

In fact, I was asked for a Kate Bush song when I was dj'ing in The Tunnels last night and the chap wouldn't have been over 30 in my estimation.

So there ;)

Yeah, but I said my friends, of whom I share many music tastes. For all I know you hang around with sad-acts who possess the musical judgement of compromised rhinos.

I'm serious. I've been laughed at for liking KB. Ridiculous, and based on her mass appeal, TOTP image and the wide consumption you're talking about, not the music