aberdeen-music

Tremolo blocking

Chris

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not arsed enough to defend it to the death though.

I would guess thats because you cant...!!

Folk can do whatever they like to their own guitars. Depends how anal you are about tone and action as to how you want to block the trem.

You still havent explained why...can you...?

I don't see the massive dislike of floyds in general :laughing:

remember james, most of the paps that hate them are alex from the artics wannabes that think its so cool not to practice and look down on real players that use quality gear and can actually play, or play covers! i dont think they get laid much either!!

canna beat the first time you ever pick up a guitar with a floyd and spend at least 4 or 5 days coming up with riffs that have a dive bomb or whammy harmonic every 3rd note :D

remember james, most of the paps that hate them are alex from the artics wannabes that think its so cool not to practice and look down on real players that use quality gear and can actually play, or play covers! i dont think they get laid much either!!

canna beat the first time you ever pick up a guitar with a floyd and spend at least 4 or 5 days coming up with riffs that have a dive bomb or whammy harmonic every 3rd note :D

As opposed to the 'real' players who spend a fortune on all the best guitars, pedals, amps and other such expensive gear and wear t-shirts and hats adorned with guitar brands to try and disguise the fact that they don't actually have any talent....

if your referring to me you will be pretty damn wrong and i would love to see you back that up with me!!

I wasn't referring to you, I just meant that I've been in a lot of bands with people like that! And that you can generally fit a lot of guitarists into the 4 chord pop punk band wannabe like you said, or the stacks of gear but no talent category, like I said. But, it was more in refenece to the "look down on real players that use quality gear" bit, I don't think anyone would look down on someone for using quality gear, unless it is to mask the fact that they are shit. Anyway, back on topic, I've had two guitars with floyds and they've both been wank.

And I guess it depends on your definition of what's a 'good' guitarist, I know a guy that can sit and play all the wanky 80s hair metal Randy Rhodes style solos note for note, and it's just pointless, it's a step away from wanking in public. Why waste your time learning how to play other people's solos? Clapton? He can fuck off. Vai? Cunt. Wank wank wank.

I wasn't referring to you, I just meant that I've been in a lot of bands with people like that! And you can generally fit a lot of guitarists into the 4 chord pop punk band wannabe like you said, or the stacks of gear but no talent category, like I said. But, it was more in refenece to the "look down on real players that use quality gear" bit, I don't think anyone would look donn on someone for using quality gear, unless it is to mask the fact that they are shit. Anyway, back on topic, I've had two guitars with floyds and they've both been wank.

ah sorry i put real players, i was meant to just type players!!

anyway totally agree with you, as for floyds i used them back in the day (90's) when i thought they were fab and a lot of the bands i listened to at the time used them. mind you this is the same decade that used gripmasters and rack amps o_O

anyone had bad experiances of breaking a string on stage with them??

i dont think i could ever go back to one nowadays.

another point on chris's original topic regarding blocking the tremelo, I have a thing on my patrick eggle that can fix to the back plate and stops the tremelo from moving. Its a wilkinson tremelo but no idea if this is a standard thing for it or you can maybe get them anywhere. I will try and take a pic of it and post it here.

And I guess it depends on your definition of what's a 'good' guitarist, I know a guy that can sit and play all the wanky 80s hair metal Randy Rhodes style solos note for note, and it's just pointless, it's a step away from wanking in public. Why waste your time learning how to play other people's solos? Clapton? He can fuck off. Vai? Cunt. Wank wank wank.

Why argue over something so subjective, I find it a bit sad when someone cant accept a players ability when the music they play might not be your cup of tea...

Because you dont like what they play doesnt mean they cant play...

G...

its personal opinion - i mean like world class musos that play classical. they cut their teeth on bach and all that. Same with guitarists, when i took lessons and learned theory i learned and analysed stuff by other people to get my technical ability up and learned about the song structures other people had. look at hendrix and all that, he learned all the old blues legends songs. whether you like it or not its what a lot of people do.

I could never sit now and learn something note for note. at my age improvising is the key cos you forget things very easily :D

ah 80's hair metal, i remember being a part of that and partly responsible for the ozone layer declining

Why argue over something so subjective, I find it a bit sad when someone cant accept a players ability when the music they play might not be your cup of tea...

Because you dont like what they play doesnt mean they cant play...

G...

Yeah that's a fair point. OK let me retract that and say that Steve Vai can certainly play, but I'd rather chop my ears off than sit through another one of his self indulgent wank marathons....

Yeah that's a fair point. OK let me retract that and say that Steve Vai can certainly play, but I'd rather chop my ears off than sit through another one of his self indulgent wank marathons....

to me i personally would prefer the boy joe satriani over vai. vais songs are more filled with flash stuff and all that but satriani has more melody and theme is his songs.

its personal opinion - i mean like world class musos that play classical. they cut their teeth on bach and all that. Same with guitarists, when i took lessons and learned theory i learned and analysed stuff by other people to get my technical ability up and learned about the song structures other people had. look at hendrix and all that, he learned all the old blues legends songs. whether you like it or not its what a lot of people do.

I could never sit now and learn something note for note. at my age improvising is the key cos you forget things very easily :D

ah 80's hair metal, i remember being a part of that and partly responsible for the ozone layer declining

I took the lazy route when I was learning guitar, not through choice but just because I had a really bad teacher, who negated to teach me any theory, or how to read music, or any scales, or any techniques etc... all he did was put on a CD of a band he liked, then show me how to play the songs on the album. I remember thinking at the time there's got to be more to it, but I was only 14 so I didn't argue... as a result I'm not nearly as good as I could be, (though I'm certainly not a bad guitarist) though to be honest that was 14 years ago, and I could have taught myself musical theory by now. I have tried, I just find it really boring.

anyone had bad experiances of breaking a string on stage with them??

i dont think i could ever go back to one nowadays.

I had a floyd rose a few years ago. Loved the guitar but the damn strings kept breaking at the lock on the bridge, had it checked over and everything seemed ok but it jus kept happening as the strings came up to tension. Got to the stage that I had no confidence in the guitar at all so I sold it. Shame, as it was a great guitar ruined by the floyd rose.

I had a floyd rose a few years ago. Loved the guitar but the damn strings kept breaking at the lock on the bridge, had it checked over and everything seemed ok but it jus kept happening as the strings came up to tension. Got to the stage that I had no confidence in the guitar at all so I sold it. Shame, as it was a great guitar ruined by the floyd rose.

Was that your ESP?

Licensed floyds are notorious for strings snapping at the bridge as there is a sharp point that has come up at your saddles. Because they are constructed with less quality than the Original Floyd Rose system, there are nuances that crop up, this being a common one. Another common one is not returning perfectly to a 'zero' point because the knife-edge pivot point gets worn easily (lesser quality metal again) and the stability suffers.

Again, I can't praise the OFRs enough, I've been using them for 5 years without a single issue. I'm quite harsh on them aswell. Never had tuning issues, string snapping problems, anything.

If you want another guitar with a floyd, get an OFR, you won't regret it :up:

If you want another guitar with a floyd, get an OFR, you won't regret it :up:

I'll bear it in mind but I don't use the trem enough to need the benefits of a floyd rose (hence this whole thread) at the moment. Much rather have the tone and sustain benefits of a fixed bridge.