aberdeen-music

Band logos

Lemonade

Look at these. What's the recurring theme?

346586686_s.jpg

943246432a1404360247b269832613ml.jpg

455995782_s.jpg

102279476_s.jpg

s_a9de49ec9859b1ac55d9feb65fe5cf85.jpg

1506770661_s.jpg

s_fb8e7eda2dd741961afdd5f6e3357a18.gif

s_eed3da3731d5667c08548ded5fefff2b.gif

They all have cool logos. I want a cool logo for my band but I don't know where to start - what do I need to create my own? I've never used photoshop and I don't have an imagination - our current logo totally sucks because I knocked it together in 5 minutes on a MS Paint just so I had something to put on our Myspace. Is there some kind of free design package that can give me decent fonts and let me move text around, play with designs etc? Something that won't just look cheap as fuck? What did your band/company use? Would someone like to design us one in exchange for beer?

Thanks

Lucky off of Cobra Kai

If you want a free package instead of Paint get a hold of Gimp. It's open source so it's free and legal.

GIMP - Downloads

I tend to go for the tried and tested rip off someone else work method. Currently working my way through a load of old communist propaganda and swapping the slogans for our band name. Not really creating re-usable logos though, more one-off posters.

For logos I'd suggest keeping it simple. Find a cool font and 1 good idea to make it stand out, don't make it more elaborate than you need.

We just got in touch with graphic designers on forums. And we got it done for free cos it takes these guys no time at all.

Check it out, we're really pleased with it

MySpace.com - City Seemed Eager - UK - Pop / Alternative / Melodramatic Popular Song - www.myspace.com/cityseemedeager

No idea how you'd go about designing it but getting others to do so is easy enough

We just got in touch with graphic designers on forums. And we got it done for free cos it takes these guys no time at all.

Check it out, we're really pleased with it

MySpace.com - City Seemed Eager - UK - Pop / Alternative / Melodramatic Popular Song - www.myspace.com/cityseemedeager

No idea how you'd go about designing it but getting others to do so is easy enough

Which forums did you use? I don't know any forums except this one!

Which forums did you use? I don't know any forums except this one!

There is a few graphic artists on these forums. The new aberdeen-music logo was designed by one. I really should get that new web site online...

my mate does some graphic designing.

Think he did this website? Dave allan?

Could be wrong like...

I do logos, graphics and allsorts, bands are more welcome as in my work they are easier to get along with than businesses.

Anyone been to the Society Bar that opened up the other week on Union street? Thats my logo, looks pretty cool if I dont say so myself!

I've also designed Pryon, Thirteen knives and many others. Currently working on Ablach's logo just now but other than that no other band work so looking to sink my teeth into something new.

However beer doesn't pay the rent. I usually ask for a deposit to make sure people are serious and then provide exactly what they want.

:D

Look at these. What's the recurring theme?

Awful design?

It seems the main criteria for a "band logo" are use of tacky photoshop effects, cheesy fonts, horrible colours and lack of anti-aliasing. Oh and of course if the band is anything to do with metal, usual some crappy flame effect, skulls and an undreadable "font". Who would have though musicians would have such a terrible sense of visual aesthetics?

Awful design?

It seems the main criteria for a "band logo" are use of tacky photoshop effects, cheesy fonts, horrible colours and lack of anti-aliasing. Oh and of course if the band is anything to do with metal, usual some crappy flame effect, skulls and an undreadable "font". Who would have though musicians would have such a terrible sense of visual aesthetics?

Just out of interest, is there anything you do like? Not having a go, genuinely interested.

A logo should be two things: instantly recognisable and easily replicated (almost every metal band font FAILS spectacularly on both counts). Every other detail is a footnote. The logos above using pictures are alright but you won't be able to get it on a cheap sticker / spray pain it somewhere etc.

I bet that almost ANY famous logo you think of has 3 or less colours and if they have a font it'll be simple: Mac, Shell, Adidas, Batman, FedEx, Playboy, Levis, Burger King, MacDonalds, Volkswagen, Nike, DC, Disney, Wii, Youtube... the list is endless.

Yeah but surely Elwood isn't looking to emulate Burger King's global marketing success?

Don't be surprised to learn that I've already employed a garishly dressed clown with possible peadophilic tendencies to be our mascot :D

The pics above were just me messing about, I'm in the middle of trying to create a logo that's just the band name in a cool font, consisting of only black, white and red. Something you can put on posters that people will recognise. ya know? I've narrowed it down to ten fonts and I've left it in the hands of my marketing department who are collecting feedback from some test subjects and focus groups. In other words I put them all in a big jpg and sent them to the other guys in the band and said "ere, which one do you like best?"