aberdeen-music

drum loop software

hello. has anyone got any advice on free drum loop software that i can download from the net? i would like to download a library/plugin more than just use a website that has thousands of individual loops that you have to download individually if you like them.

i might be a little retarded when it comes to this stuff too but this is why im trying to find out i spose. i use cubase to record my stuff and just need drums basically and drum loops are much better and easier than making my own patterns from scratch.

fanks folks!

hello. has anyone got any advice on free drum loop software that i can download from the net? i would like to download a library/plugin more than just use a website that has thousands of individual loops that you have to download individually if you like them.

i might be a little retarded when it comes to this stuff too but this is why im trying to find out i spose. i use cubase to record my stuff and just need drums basically and drum loops are much better and easier than making my own patterns from scratch.

fanks folks!

Hey dude, there are quite a few good decent programs out there. Not sure if you download stuff by torrents, but youll get some really decent programs using that, the full ones as well. Getting some magazines such as Computer Music helps a lot as well, as they always come with a dvd loaded with free programs.

There is Fruity Loops, which is probably more for electronic stuff but has some real-ish sounding drums as well. But what I think is the best one out there just now, is ezdrummer, thats what I am using now, and quite a few other of my friends that make music use that as well. All the samples are all actual recordings from a proper drum kit, and once you get the basic ezdrummer program, there are heaps and heaps of add ons for anything you play pretty much, from acoustic drums to rock to metal. The program is used with premade drum tracks, and there are loads, but all you do is drag and drop the beat you want, then you can change it around from there. The program is made by a company called Toontrack, so if you are interested check out their site for the add on that suits you best. Fruity Loops can be used as a seperate program on its own, or through your cubase, but ezdrummer can only be used as a vst through a program, so you can use it through cubase, and even Fruity Loops!

If you are interested message me with any questions. You can check out what I've done with both programs. MySpace.com - JOHNNY DEEP - Aberdeen, UK - Hardcore / Death Metal / Crunk - www.myspace.com/xjohnnydeepx the only song I've done with ezdrummer is bring out your dead, and the rest were used with Fruity Loops!

Good Luck!

Damian

Yup, agree with the above, EZdrummer is a great program for the 'non-drumming' musician. That is, has a good knolwedge of how they want their drums to sound, just have no means (or ability ;)) to actual play and record them.

However if you didn't want to be illegal and "download" it, and the pricetag of circa 80 was too much, i'd recommend searching for "Free VST downloads" in google.

there are a lot of really good programs out there available for free download, and a lot of them are drum synthesizers/programs. - I suppose because this is the most common instrument that people can't emmulate!

fanks folks!

heyya,

as most people have told you, computer music magazine and computer music tech are great resources...the recent special one has 100 free vst;s on their cd that will get you started. otherwise search KVR music, the biggest online resource of freeware-good forum too.

to get you started though, google/try these:

digidrum, dr-fusion, drumatic 3, drumsampler, ers drums, ephonic drumatic 1ve, gtg zapkit

best of luck,

bill

ps...you'll need something that can host vst's...audiomulch is great and you can get a demo version that will run for 60 days (google that as well)...or try plogue bidule too.

pss...I've been contemplating giving a workshop on how to make music with completely free software, and i wonder what other people's interest would be? say a one day workshop for a 10'r?

plogue bidule too.

?

bidule is a really fantastic piece of software, might be a bit daunting though for someone who just wants to sequence some drums. I'd be more inclined to recommend a host like cubase or nuendo, if recording is going to be a priority.

Someone mentioned the toontrack ez drummer series, these are good sample cd's and I've used them myself but bear in mind that they use a proprietary sample format, so you can't just bung the samples into a multisampler like battery if you want to get really creative - you have to use their annoying vsti interface which hogs resources and takes ages to load.

I'm not in any way knowledgable in music software, but I got Ableton Live 7 and I'm having fun with it, though I'm struggling with sampling. Seems really complicated compared to just laying out some bass and beats.

I did try a few times, but it always seemed out of sync. I might just check out some youtube help vids.

What's so good about FL7? Is it similar to Cubase/Ableton?

I like it mostly because I've been using it for about 8-9 years and know it inside out, and the workflow suits me. The automation recording is brilliant. It is very similar to ableton, the audio recording isn't as hot as in cubase though, but on the other hand cubase isn't much fun for sequencing. FL can be used as a vst plugin too within cubase which is handy.

fruity loops is pretty cool and you get some great softsynths to plug into it - it will take any VST or DXi

its also got a built in beatslicer - so all those drumloops you can download - put them into FL and change the loop around to suit yourself.

Hammerhead Rythmn station is a good free drum machine as well.

I'm not in any way knowledgable in music software, but I got Ableton Live 7 and I'm having fun with it, though I'm struggling with sampling. Seems really complicated compared to just laying out some bass and beats.

I did try a few times, but it always seemed out of sync. I might just check out some youtube help vids.

hey darwin,

i don't use ableton for beats (though i do use it), but do you have the warp setting sussed out, as that will make a big difference on whether the beats are in sync or not...

bill

A good free plug in is called Glitch. You use it to effect whatever you fancy doing it to but you can get some really cool bleeps or even just something subtle. I like to use it on rewired fruity loops in Cubase. Can sound pretty cool on vocals too. You've got tape stop, shuffler, reverser, crusher, gater, retrigger, delay and time stretch. Each effect has a fair range of parameters to fiddle with.

search for (I think it is) deep blue glitch. Been a while since I got it so this could be wrong... just do a google. It was featured in one of last months computer music magazines so shouldn't be too hard to find. :up:

• 3 weeks later...
hey darwin,

i don't use ableton for beats (though i do use it), but do you have the warp setting sussed out, as that will make a big difference on whether the beats are in sync or not...

bill

I've not sussed out too much yet. I get distracted easily.

But yeah I did see the warp thing, I'll give it a go when I get home tonight, I'll check out some online tutorials and pimp out some Beethoven.

thanks for everyone's advice, seems like there much more stuff out there than i thought.

incidentally i got that Computer Music magazine special with all the free vst's and its ace! i downloaded ezdrummer but havent been able to use it yet as i need update my cubase to use it. luckily the track i have been working on is an acoustic track in which drums are not a necessity, so i got it finished without pulling my hair out.

i am reasonably experienced with home recording and the software these days but i can't help thinking that all this stuff is not as beginner friendly as it could be..... meh

Do you use glitch much?

Couple of Cubase related glitch questions which you may be able to help me with. I'm sure it is possible to sequence a series of different glitch patterns just not sure how to get it to work, any thoughts? I'm also struggling to work out how to turn glitch on and off selectively, I don't always want it on. I suspect that is mostly down to my thin knowledge of Cubase as much as anything. I usually use Glitch on rewired fruityloops drum tracks.

Do you use glitch much?

Couple of Cubase related glitch questions which you may be able to help me with. I'm sure it is possible to sequence a series of different glitch patterns just not sure how to get it to work, any thoughts? I'm also struggling to work out how to turn glitch on and off selectively, I don't always want it on. I suspect that is mostly down to my thin knowledge of Cubase as much as anything. I usually use Glitch on rewired fruityloops drum tracks.

I've found the best way is to set glitch up in a stereo effects group and use aux sends from different tracks. You can then automate when it comes on and off.

Never tried to put in a series of patterns but I'm pretty sure it can be done within glitch.