aberdeen-music

Pie Shop

Had the misfortune of being in the Tunnels last night with some 'bands' playing 'original music'. Gimme Pie Shop any day of the week over that o_O

And where did everyone go when the crowd pulling last band came on?

Off to buy some pie's?

The guy behind the mixing desk should be sacked, truly awful sound!!! o_O

i'm in 2 tribute bands and find it great fun! One of the bands gets 50 a gig (im not in it for the money with that one but love the music) and the other gets a whole load more than that.

as for the 'your shite cause your in a tribute/covers band' well, thats jist fuckin shite comments really and if you said that to me i'd rip yer fucking throat out and fuck yer mum up the arse!

i'm sure most of us on this forum (the old bastards like me!) have done the original thing, but being in aberdeen., come on guys....you'll get knowhere unless you move somewhere else.

i love playing bass and take pride in doing a good job and now being of old stock (im 40) there is no point in going after the dream of being 'the next big thing' the only thing getting bigger is me belly, so tribute/covers bands will do for me and if you dont like that...well fuck off and prove you can do better! yes, i've sold out, so fuckin what!!

ohh and i really like pie shop, Bash Street Kids, Pearl jammin! But i cant think of one original Aberdeen band that i would go out of my way to see apart from The Hijacks.

tribute/cover band = entertainment industry

original = music industry

It's a shame you had to ruin your point by saying that.

I have to agree with you there.

Mum is such a soppy word, he should have used Ma or even Mother.

My view is almost the same a Decontrol. Being in a covers band (or more to the point a tribute band) is not the easy option that some people on here think it is.

I've just deleted a long rant about the cover/original battle. To be honest I just can't be bothered going on much more about this except to say this. Cover/tribute bands get on ok with original bands, why can't it not be the same the other way round?

What is original music anyway. You see people all the time looking for band members on this forum. I.E. Wanted- singer and bass player to join original band. Influences - Someunknown, anotherunknown, and early reallyunknown, and most of somemoreunknown. Therefore it would seems that it is a fair guess that you will sound like a bunch of unknowns. Is that original? That was not a dig, but a question.

Cheers

Off to buy some pie's?

The guy behind the mixing desk should be sacked, truly awful sound!!! o_O

There are several reasons for bad sound:

1) Good sound starts at source, if the bands tone, mic technique, dynamics etc is bad the SE is fighting a losing battle. There is only so much turd-polishing you can do.

2) In small/medium sized venues like the Tunnels quite a lot of what you hear comes off the stage and isn't under the control of the SE. The Tunnels, probably due to it's tunnel-like nature, is especially bad for this. If bands are playing loud the SE has very little control over most of the sounds you're hearing and has to be VERY careful not to go into the "upward spiral of noise", as I like to call it. Sometimes you have to chunk it out and the Tunnels don't like that (see next point)

3) The room acoustics are bad. The Tunnels ain't gonna win any awards for acoustic loveliness. Empty it's a 'mare, you need at least 100 bodies in to calm the room down.

4) The PA isn't good. Yet again the tunnels ain't winning any awards but I've used worse.

5) The SE had an off night. We're human goddammit!

6) The SE is gash.

Looking at who was playing (I only know two of the bands though) and knowing the Tunnels I'd guess it was a combination of 1), 2) and 3) with a little bit of 4) thrown in. None of these are under the SE's control. In fact I would say it was always going to be awful without any 5) or 6) Thrown in.

ibut being in aberdeen., come on guys....you'll get knowhere unless you move somewhere else.

I truly do not believe that to be the case.

If any band / artist is talented enough, savvy enough and with a good work ethic to get playing out and about, there is absolutely no reason why they can't 'get somewhere' and still locate themselves in Aberdeen.

but that is kinda beside the point of the thread, so I'll just move along quietly :gringo:

There are several reasons for bad sound:

1) Good sound starts at source, if the bands tone, mic technique, dynamics etc is bad the SE is fighting a losing battle. There is only so much turd-polishing you can do.

2) In small/medium sized venues like the Tunnels quite a lot of what you hear comes off the stage and isn't under the control of the SE. The Tunnels, probably due to it's tunnel-like nature, is especially bad for this. If bands are playing loud the SE has very little control over most of the sounds you're hearing and has to be VERY careful not to go into the "upward spiral of noise", as I like to call it. Sometimes you have to chunk it out and the Tunnels don't like that (see next point)

3) The room acoustics are bad. The Tunnels ain't gonna win any awards for acoustic loveliness. Empty it's a 'mare, you need at least 100 bodies in to calm the room down.

4) The PA isn't good. Yet again the tunnels ain't winning any awards but I've used worse.

5) The SE had an off night. We're human goddammit!

6) The SE is gash.

Looking at who was playing (I only know two of the bands though) and knowing the Tunnels I'd guess it was a combination of 1), 2) and 3) with a little bit of 4) thrown in. None of these are under the SE's control. In fact I would say it was always going to be awful without any 5) or 6) Thrown in.

Prior experience suggests that it was easy to point the finger at the SE but your closing statement is probably bang on the money. The tone of the guitar on from the last band was, well, I dunno what it was. o_O

I truly do not believe that to be the case.

If any band / artist is talented enough, savvy enough and with a good work ethic to get playing out and about, there is absolutely no reason why they can't 'get somewhere' and still locate themselves in Aberdeen.

but that is kinda beside the point of the thread, so I'll just move along quietly :gringo:

Agreed! Geographically challenged doesn't cut it these days.

Talent + gumption + determination = a chance!

It also depends what is deemed successful? Critical acclaim within a genre can be very rewarding and to many more important than world wide domination, which today, more often than not, is a very short lived phenomenon.

Re covers bands: What I find funny is the perceived belief by some members of the bands that they are in some way contributing the music industry and living the dream by playing places like the globe. Now before I get shot down I am not slagging covers bands, musicians or venues off. I just find some of the ego's funny but that can be said about any area of the music industry and i have came across plenty of twats in my time!

My stance on covers bands has softened over the years, probably due to advancing years and the reduced desire/chance to be successful to the point of a career. The music that we as a band are writing and playing can be said to be derivative and full of cliche but we do so knowingly and with a wry grin. When rehearsing we often slip into some classics, for a laugh and jape about how easy it would be to become a covers band. We quickly cease said noodling at the realisation that we could be but a few steps away.

Warning: This post is caffeine induced and may not have made any sense.

Tupelo Town Assembly gigging again soon!

Had the misfortune of being in the Tunnels last night with some 'bands' playing 'original music'. Gimme Pie Shop any day of the week over that o_O

And where did everyone go when the crowd pulling last band came on?

They heard Pie SHop were playing a guerilla gig in Foundation so moved across the road...

Guest Bob Double Jack
I think you're aiming a bit high with 25% I'm practically carrying the band on my own. Typical guitarist thinking they're equal to other musicians.

ho ho ho ! cheeky bastard

Just when the thread was running out of steam.

Cant see a good debate die...:up:

I was at the beach ballroom on saturday, it was the bashers 30th aniversary, and there were 4 bands playing, I have to say that sadly the Bash Street Kids were truly awful on the night, I suspect that was down to the quantity of drink some of them had consumed...

Kybosh on the other hand were superb and play some of their covers their own special way...superb band and very entertaining...

And as most will know I love original stuff also, Went to see Edgar Prais and Le Reno Amps the other night... stunning.

Oh and I have my own covers band... so feck off and leave me alone...ok!!...:band: