aberdeen-music

Pie Shop

The bottom line is, if it's costing you money to play any kind of music, you are doing something wrong.

In an ideal world this would be the case but your speakin pish with this statement!

If you ask any band who tour up and down the country playing shitty little venues every other night, they'll tell you it takes a long time (usually) before they start to get out of the debt they put themselves in to try and get somewhere in the industry.

That statement made me laugh a lot!

Yeah fuckin Pavarotti and his shitty covers, I just sez, 'Got Any Jungle?' and he's like, 'naw, Puccini ya bass', great night

lol

Yes, I think there's a big difference between some covers band and great interpreters of songs like Sinatra and Elvis. That said, it comes down to the same reason why I don't have a problem with good covers bands but can't be bothered with tribute acts.

A good covers band will add their own flavour to a song, whereas copying something note for note is completely pointless IMO. You may as well stay at home and listen to the record.

I don't know what category Pie Shop fall into as I've never heard them.

I find it hilarious (and more than a little sad) that many of the 40+ responses to the simple question "who are Pie Shop?" contain extremely arrogant and pompous pokes at cover bands.

Quite a few of the posters seem to give the impression - to me anyway - that cover bands have no place in live music and that we should be playing only original songs.

Yet, if any these same individuals would care to have a look at the Feedback Forum, they'd see that most of the first dozen threads features new songs by local bands - yet the grand sum of responses to "new, original music" for all 12 threads is barely 50 ?(

Just an observation.

I find it hilarious (and more than a little sad) that many of the 40+ responses to the simple question "who are Pie Shop?" contain extremely arrogant and pompous pokes at cover bands.

Quite a few of the posters seem to give the impression - to me anyway - that cover bands have no place in live music and that we should be playing only original songs.

Yet, if any these same individuals would care to have a look at the Feedback Forum, they'd see that most of the first dozen threads features new songs by local bands - yet the grand sum of responses to "new, original music" for all 12 threads is barely 50 ?(

Just an observation.

I guess you could put some of that down to "if you've got nothing good to say then don't say anything at all" perhaps...

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Just an observation.

by this logic, the best song in the world is no1 in the charts right now, until next week when an even better song will topple it.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Please feel free to do so then.

sorry to disappoint you but I think i'll give that a miss - the thought of you and your beer belly stuffed into a short sleeved Ben Sherman shirt, holding a pint of beer to the sky and slurring the lyrics to 'Wonderwall' has rejuvenated my enthusiasm

A good covers band will add their own flavour to a song, whereas copying something note for note is completely pointless IMO. You may as well stay at home and listen to the record.

I don't know what category Pie Shop fall into as I've never heard them.

I think Pie Shop are definately a great covers band rather than a tribute band. You can tell they love the music when they perform, and they also try to give it their own interpretation.

All I can say is that I have never sat on my ass for a Pie Shop gig, they get me dancing every time :-)

Jayne

In an ideal world this would be the case but your speakin pish with this statement!

If you ask any band who tour up and down the country playing shitty little venues every other night, they'll tell you it takes a long time (usually) before they start to get out of the debt they put themselves in to try and get somewhere in the industry.

That statement made me laugh a lot!

I know and work with many bands who play up and down the country. All of them make a living from music, either cover or originals or both. In the case of a band who invest in themselves there can be an element of debt, but this is capital debt and in no way related to playing for nothing or even worse pay to play.

If you're playing gigs and each gig costs you, you're doing something wrong. Simply saying it's pish doesn't make it so.

If the truth makes you laugh then there's no hope for you.

Cheers guys! Was wanting to know if they'd be worth going home 54 miles to see ... cheers, think the shapecutting will be commencing to them on saturday nite I think. Its been BIRO (Black Isle Rock Orchestra) or the local band Cover 2 Cover for the last while so change could be good! I'm not working and no one seems to be giving me any plans for town so homeward bound I shall head!

Guest Bob Double Jack
I think Pie Shop are definately a great covers band rather than a tribute band. You can tell they love the music when they perform, and they also try to give it their own interpretation.

I agree with the above. The sign of a good covers band (although many here seem to think there isn't such a thing) is being able to interpret a song and play it well. Ironically, Pie Shop are also 75% of a top notch Foo Fighters tribute called In Your Honour, with myself being the other 25%. I've been in many tribute bands with some of the guys and they are very good musicians.

Pie shop are a bunch of arrogant so and so's. Great players, totally talented musicians, but they know it. Do yourself a favour and find some original bands to check out, instead of increasing there ego's and supporting cover bands when original bands need backing!

Sorry for my rantings!

Neil from Pie Shop here,

I dont normally get involved with the original vs cover debate because anyone with any understanding of the music industry knows the important roll cover bands have. However I do take offence at being judged by someone I have never met. We work very hard to play songs that we love to perform and that our audience enjoy and we do it quite well, with confidence. If I go to see a band I want to see a confident performance by musicians who enjoy what they do. If our confidence comes across as arrogance it is not intentional and it is definitely not who we are as people.

p.s. what was the last original drum beat you came up with?

Neil, I apologise for causing offense, I will also admit that statement by directing it at one band was out of line, again i apologise!

The point i was making was that in my opinion cover bands to get to much hype in Aberdeen. I have seen Pie shop several times and openly admit that you guys are very talented musicians. I play in cover bands, but purely for the money, is the only way i can stay above water financially. I tour all over with my original band, and It'll take us 2 or 3 gigs to make what i can make in one night in a crappy venue doing covers in Aberdeen.

And just for reference, i spend a good deal of time behind the kit working on new groove's and fills.

I think youve missed the irony. This is more a dig at you and your belief that any music now is original.

Hang on, are you suggesting people should stop writing songs because they're not original so they'd be as well play covers instead?

I agree with the above. The sign of a good covers band (although many here seem to think there isn't such a thing) is being able to interpret a song and play it well. Ironically, Pie Shop are also 75% of a top notch Foo Fighters tribute called In Your Honour, with myself being the other 25%. I've been in many tribute bands with some of the guys and they are very good musicians.

I think you're aiming a bit high with 25% I'm practically carrying the band on my own. Typical guitarist thinking they're equal to other musicians.

Hang on, are you suggesting people should stop writing songs because they're not original so they'd be as well play covers instead?

Not at all, if no one wrote songs Id be out of a job. I just think most people who claim to be original songwriters are deluding themselves.

I've just spent half my lunch hour reading this Thread so I felt I had to add something.

For the past five years, I have gone to pubs to see (many, many) live bands, both cover and original. Rightly or wrongly, i expect a band to play without 'bum' notes, crap endings etc etc. I love watching talent (i mean musical talent!) and if they inspire me i'll be back.

However, five years on there are only a handful of bands that i enjoy and regularly go to see and Pie Shop are one of them. They never let you down. Very talented individually and as a band. I have yet to see any arogance, in fact they don't realise just how good they are and look uncomfortable when they are praised by people at the end of the gig.

A quote from Sexytunk above - 'Do yourself a favour and find some original bands to check out, instead of increasing there ego's and supporting cover bands when original bands need backing' - boy, do you have a problem! You are a perfect example of the jealousy and bitching I encounter time and time again in the music scene. If you think so little of cover bands then don't be in one - if you are only in it for the money that will come across in your playing. If you feel threatened by people going to see Pie Shop - pick up your game a bit!

The cover v original argument is boring and pointless. Music is music - it's how it's played that is important.

So what do you think about girl and boy bands? Where's the talent there? (ooh bitchy!)