aberdeen-music

Pie Shop

I'm pretty sure "Malkie" used to be above me at school in Elgin, which would mean he's Malkie from the original lineup of Sirius, when they played Radiohead and Cornershop covers... before a brief stint into Glam Punk. He then went onto form a band which played a cover of Dio's Holy Diver from what I remember o_O

This sort of pompous bullshit about original bands being the only bands who deserve backing is nothing but arty-farty snobbery. We all need backing, regardless of our output.

Just because it doesn't push your buttons, doesnt mean that cover bands dont have a role to play.....masses of people like to go out and hear tunes from yester-year rather than try out the unknown. You might not approve, but it's fact.

There's just as many piss-poor original bands in Aberdeen as there are piss-poor covers bands.....equally there are bands that do both very well. Personally, if I don't give a band my backing, it's because I think they suck, it's got nothing to do with whether they play covers or originals.

As a sidenote, if we all followed your advice to stop massaging the egos of arrogant musicians, there's be no music industry and nobody would ever get famous. All good live bands, whether they're stadium rockers or local bands, need that arrogant swagger to give the band a personality. You seriously telling me that the Beatles, Stones, Chillis etc don't owe their success in part to their personalities??!

Pie Shop are one of the best cover bands in the area because they DO have personality....i'd rather go and watch them any day than some pish original band that thinks they deserve my backing simply because they're producing original material.

Why quote me there? I'm not engaging at all with the debate of original over covers bands. Just stating that 'I' would rather kicked in the nads several times than listen to Pie Shop (over staded to put my point across). I have my thoughts on covers bands but I bore myself with my opinion so nuff said.

Just for the record no band deserves a backing just for making their own music. Good bands earn their support.

I'm pretty sure "Malkie" used to be above me at school in Elgin, which would mean he's Malkie from the original lineup of Sirius, when they played Radiohead and Cornershop covers... before a brief stint into Glam Punk. He then went onto form a band which played a cover of Dio's Holy Diver from what I remember o_O

Yeah, it's that Malkie. I didn't know Sirius used to play Radiohead and Cornershop covers, *sniggers*. Last I heard he was playing with Double Jack.

Pie shop have ego's cause they think they are special, purely and simply because they are good at performing other people's music! Fact! I'm not taking away from the fact that they are great players, but shouldn't they put there talents into producing there own music? Would the Stones and the Beatles (like earlier mentioned) have been created if they had just decided to copy others work? And are you telling me that supporting covers bands is good for music? Is it ......., It's only good for the bands pocketing the money and the venues!

I fully respect someone who achieves an ego through playing original music, they deserve it. People who achieve one through copying others music doesn't, no matter how good a player they are!

I agree there are many original bands who are pretty poop, but there are also some pretty ace bands out there, in all genre's of music, but there never gonna get the chance to shine like bands in other parts of the country, simply because Aberdeen is so obsessed with cover music!

I agree there are many original bands who are pretty poop, but there are also some pretty ace bands out there, in all genre's of music, but there never gonna get the chance to shine like bands in other parts of the country, simply because Aberdeen is so obsessed with cover music!

I think you'll find that it's the same pretty much everywhere, people in general prefer to hear songs they know.

I think Pie Shop are ace, they really get a crowd going. I enjoy their gigs because they are clearly fans of the music, and the enjoyment that they have while playing really comes across.

I think you should go to the gig, if you like Rock tunes I think you will have a good time :-).

Cheers

Jayne

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Funny thread. So, 3 choices:

1. Go see local band. 90% certain they'll perform disposable ding, but at least it's disposable ding they cooked up themselves.

2. Go see bunch of people who play other bands' songs. Bunch of leeching shitcunts who steal disposable ding from other people. Couldn't even be bothered trying to find their own stuff. Lower than whale shit. Devoid of merit. Devoid of anything.

3. Stay in and stick the stereo on. Guaranteed to be free of disposable ding.

3 wins every time...

:up:

Guest Bob Double Jack
I think this is all you need to know...

Malkie doesn't even play bass for Pie Shop, this footage was taken 8 hours into his stag do last year. And I cant be bothered getting involved in this debate. Although I'd much rather get paid 5 and a can of Irn Bru for a half hour gig in Edinburgh than considerably more for playing covers cos I'd be preserving my musical integrity. And I think Pie Shop are good for the record, but I'm biased.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I have to disagree I'm afraid. We travel quite a bit, and especially in Glasgow there seems to be much more support for local music than there is up here, the venues which provide original music are pretty much rammed every night of the week!

bullshit

Guest Tam o' Shantie
i saw pie shop play last night and they were excellent. good set of classic rock and some newer tunes all played very well. i think if your out for a night on the piss it doesnt matter whether its covers or original if its done well.

Reading this kind of moronic, pub rocking shit makes me want to stop making music.

Pie shop have ego's cause they think they are special, purely and simply because they are good at performing other people's music! Fact! I'm not taking away from the fact that they are great players, but shouldn't they put there talents into producing there own music? Would the Stones and the Beatles (like earlier mentioned) have been created if they had just decided to copy others work? And are you telling me that supporting covers bands is good for music? Is it ......., It's only good for the bands pocketing the money and the venues!

I fully respect someone who achieves an ego through playing original music, they deserve it. People who achieve one through copying others music doesn't, no matter how good a player they are!

Ah well, that's classical music, jazz, blues and folk all fucked then.

In amongst all this missing the point shit, covers bands work in the entertainment industry. They get paid for entertaining at weddings, holiday camps, old fogie clubs, lowest common demonimator pubs, anywhere people of a vast range of ages want to dance. There is a huge market for it. They have to play for up to five hours. They need to be self contained.

Original bands are in the music industry. They create new music sometimes crap, often brilliant. They're rarely self contained and most play for less than two hours. Sometimes they get famous, most of the time they don't. They're in it for love and fun.

It's horses for courses. An average original band playing at an average wedding or holiday camp would get slayed, just as a cover band playing at a trendy venue would get slayed.

Pretending you would hate being payed to play music original or otherwise in order to appear cool doesn't fool anyone.

The bottom line is, if it's costing you money to play any kind of music, you are doing something wrong.

The bands with their heads screwed on play lots of covers all over the country to make a living (better than being a wage slave anyday) and also write their own material which they slot in when it suits, ensuring their own stuff reaches a far bigger audience than any deluded, I'm in it for art man, stay in Aberdeen and play twice a month for 15 minutes original band could reach in a year.

Must be one of the funniest things I have ever read on here, particularly as it was delivered without a hint of irony.

Good work fella.

Absolutely, it took the Stones about 3 years to write a tune, and then they only did it cause Andrew Loog Oldham locked them in a kitchen til they had one. As to the Beatles formative Motown years, thats how they learned their shit.

Having said that, none of this applys to any cover band I've seen ever, who have all had no musical ambition whatsoever.

As for Glasgow being rammed with audiences for original music, it tends to be rather unoriginal original music more often than is healthy, that and the art school bam squad, who are at least usually entertaining.

I suppose whilst pandering to the various jealousies, misconceptions and irrational hatreds inherent in any musical discussion it helps one's prejudices if one ignores artists like Elvis and Frank Sinatra who never wrote a tune in their lives.

In this state of mind, I suppose it's forgiveable that one grants "art" status to any three chord tuneless thrash as long as it's original and denies art form status to someone like Pavarotti when he sings (covers) Puccini.

Perhaps the people who make such juvenile statements don't realise how stupid they sound.

I suppose whilst pandering to the various jealousies, misconceptions and irrational hatreds inherent in any musical discussion it helps one's prejudices if one ignores artists like Elvis and Frank Sinatra who never wrote a tune in their lives.

In this state of mind, I suppose it's forgiveable that one grants "art" status to any three chord tuneless thrash as long as it's original and denies art form status to someone like Pavarotti when he sings (covers) Puccini.

Perhaps the people who make such juvenile statements don't realise how stupid they sound.

Apart from Pavarotti's eating habits, I'm struggling to see how we managed to go from Pie Shop to Pavarotti.

Are we seriously comparing a pub cover band to Pavarotti, Sintatra and Presley?

Can somebody introduce a sense of perspective here?