aberdeen-music

Pie Shop

I want to start a fight having watched 30secs of that. I want that 30secs back. In fairness I did know what I was going to be seeing and that I would hate it!

Give your bus fare to a homeless guy and stay in!

Worth going to see them for fucking Malkie on bass though. "MALKIE..........GO DO IT!"

Pie shop are a bunch of arrogant so and so's. Great players, totally talented musicians, but they know it. Do yourself a favour and find some original bands to check out, instead of increasing there ego's and supporting cover bands when original bands need backing!

Sorry for my rantings!

Pie shop are a bunch of arrogant so and so's. Great players, totally talented musicians, but they know it. Do yourself a favour and find some original bands to check out, instead of increasing there ego's and supporting cover bands when original bands need backing!

Sorry for my rantings!

So what, in your opinion, is the difference between a cover band and a tribute band?

:popcorn:

There is no difference between a cover band and a tribute band i guess, I'll give you that! But, if I had the chance of playing with ABDC or my original band it would be original everytime!

Cover bands and tributes are all about the money, thats why i do it, makes my living. Original bands don't get enough support in Aberdeen, go to the Tunnels to see a talented original band and it's empty, then walk up to Drummonds to see a tribute and the place is rammed! Christ even the Globe is packed with folk to see a below average covers band.

That is the point I was trying to make.

Maybe the case but that would mean having to endure Pie Shop (read any pub covers band) and songs from yesterydecade o_O
Pie shop are a bunch of arrogant so and so's. Great players' date=' totally talented musicians, but they know it. Do yourself a favour and find some original bands to check out, instead of increasing there ego's and supporting cover bands when original bands need backing!

Sorry for my rantings! [/quote']

This sort of pompous bullshit about original bands being the only bands who deserve backing is nothing but arty-farty snobbery. We all need backing, regardless of our output.

Just because it doesn't push your buttons, doesnt mean that cover bands dont have a role to play.....masses of people like to go out and hear tunes from yester-year rather than try out the unknown. You might not approve, but it's fact.

There's just as many piss-poor original bands in Aberdeen as there are piss-poor covers bands.....equally there are bands that do both very well. Personally, if I don't give a band my backing, it's because I think they suck, it's got nothing to do with whether they play covers or originals.

As a sidenote, if we all followed your advice to stop massaging the egos of arrogant musicians, there's be no music industry and nobody would ever get famous. All good live bands, whether they're stadium rockers or local bands, need that arrogant swagger to give the band a personality. You seriously telling me that the Beatles, Stones, Chillis etc don't owe their success in part to their personalities??!

Pie Shop are one of the best cover bands in the area because they DO have personality....i'd rather go and watch them any day than some pish original band that thinks they deserve my backing simply because they're producing original material.

There is no difference between a cover band and a tribute band i guess, I'll give you that! But, if I had the chance of playing with ABDC or my original band it would be original everytime!

Cover bands and tributes are all about the money, thats why i do it, makes my living. Original bands don't get enough support in Aberdeen, go to the Tunnels to see a talented original band and it's empty, then walk up to Drummonds to see a tribute and the place is rammed! Christ even the Globe is packed with folk to see a below average covers band.

That is the point I was trying to make.

Surely you should be glad that "even the Globe is packed with folk to see a below average covers band" since that's why you get paid enough to make a living off it.

Anyway, I think I'll have to let you off the hook on that one since your heart appears to be in the right place.

As i said I'd much rather play every weekend with my original band, than playing playing the likes of the Globe with cover bands. But unfortunately It's not really possible to do so.

As for ABDC we are slightly different to your average "cover band" (And no, I'm not trying to get myself out a hole), in that we don't just go round the local crappy local cover scene. We at least travel all over the place trying to make most of what we can do. And, And in fairness to us, we often take along local original bands with us cause we can gaurantee them a decent audience, and it obviously spreads the word for them!

As a sidenote, if we all followed your advice to stop massaging the egos of arrogant musicians, there's be no music industry and nobody would ever get famous. All good live bands, whether they're stadium rockers or local bands, need that arrogant swagger to give the band a personality. You seriously telling me that the Beatles, Stones, Chillis etc don't owe their success in part to their personalities??!

What a load of crap.

And sorry but cover bands vs original musicians argument is a no-brainer. One is engaged (i would hope) in creating art, the other is performing the role of a human jukebox in order to make money.

What a load of crap.

And sorry but cover bands vs original musicians argument is a no-brainer. One is engaged (i would hope) in creating art, the other is performing the role of a human jukebox in order to make money.

Bollocks......of course you need stage presence. If all you do is stand there and play the tunes, the gig will be crap...even if you play the tunes perfectly. The "show" is what differentiates live music from listening to the CD. Call it arrogance, swagger, stage presence or whatever.....any band needs something extra to make themselves a great live act.

And yes, I mostly agree on your second point, since I was in no way implying that covers bands were pushing the artistic envelope further......I was just making the obvious point that there's a massive market out there for covers/tribute bands and as such, whether it's covers or originals, we all need backing. Money is a very secondary motivation for me, as personally, I make very little out of it....I only do it, because I get huge enjoyment out of it.

Bollocks......of course you need stage presence. If all you do is stand there and play the tunes, the gig will be crap...even if you play the tunes perfectly. The "show" is what differentiates live music from listening to the CD. Call it arrogance, swagger, stage presence or whatever.....any band needs something extra to make themselves a great live act.

I like the musicians I like because of the music they make, I don't see why there has to be some dog and pony show about it on stage. If I wanted to see people acting I'd rather go to the theatre.