aberdeen-music

Cheap central heating?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Anybody had central heating fitted locally at a decent cost/quality? My flat is tiny so I'm thinking that plastic microbore would be the easiest and cheapest solution. Anyone done a one bedroom flat before, and if so what is a rough amount of money to budget?

I got my boiler replaced for a two bedroom flat of decent size and it cost 3200 but that included two new full size radiators, removing the old one from the cupboard, vintilating through the roof and excavating through 2ft of kitchen wall

due to ever changing regulations, you may find that the goalposts have moved and you need to do some kind of modification work to bring your house into regulation standard

If you want my advice, make sure you get one of the mid to upper level boilers. Even if you think you are paying too much, it adds a good bit of value on your property (particularly with a long warranty). Also try and get a bit of extra headway in yer boiler. I got a worcester greenstar 28i combi boiler for a two bed flat. I was reccomended for the 24i, but having the 28i means I can install a great power shower at some point. The worcester range have an excellent reputation; they offer good warranty, its green and efficient offering huge savings in utility costs. from the research I did (including speaking to plumbers galore)much of the cheaper boilers on the market use cheap parts and break down a lot

I got my boiler replaced for a two bedroom flat of decent size and it cost 3200 but that included two new full size radiators, removing the old one from the cupboard, vintilating through the roof and excavating through 2ft of kitchen wall

due to ever changing regulations, you may find that the goalposts have moved and you need to do some kind of modification work to bring your house into regulation standard

If you want my advice, make sure you get one of the mid to upper level boilers. Even if you think you are paying too much, it adds a good bit of value on your property (particularly with a long warranty). Also try and get a bit of extra headway in yer boiler. I got a worcester greenstar 28i combi boiler for a two bed flat. I was reccomended for the 24i, but having the 28i means I can install a great power shower at some point. The worcester range have an excellent reputation; they offer good warranty, its green and efficient offering huge savings in utility costs. from the research I did (including speaking to plumbers galore)much of the cheaper boilers on the market use cheap parts and break down a lot

Knowledge and skills.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

wow, these be some pretty high costs. I wonder if it would be much cheaper for a one bedroom - also, you guys have not seen a small flat until you've seen my flat. The total square footage must be in the 200s.

I'm not actually bothered about the cold, it's just to help the bastard sell later in the year and due to the entire building getting ripped apart and fixed up, and some redecorating in my flat, I figured that I might as well get it done at the same time.

wow, these be some pretty high costs. I wonder if it would be much cheaper for a one bedroom - also, you guys have not seen a small flat until you've seen my flat. The total square footage must be in the 200s.

I'm not actually bothered about the cold, it's just to help the bastard sell later in the year and due to the entire building getting ripped apart and fixed up, and some redecorating in my flat, I figured that I might as well get it done at the same time.

Bear in mind that you'll only get maybe 60% of the cost back when you sell and the market's levelling out/dropping at the moment so you stand to make nothing back if it drops far enough by the time you sell. It probably will make it easier to sell though.

I've been in those flats, surely a freshly boiled kettle near the front door would suffice for central heating?

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Bear in mind that you'll only get maybe 60% of the cost back when you sell and the market's levelling out/dropping at the moment so you stand to make nothing back if it drops far enough by the time you sell. It probably will make it easier to sell though.

I've been in those flats, surely a freshly boiled kettle near the front door would suffice for central heating?

Why will I only get 60% of the cost?

The market's not dropping actually, it increased last quarter: http://www.aspc.co.uk/Documents/HousePrices-2008Q1.pdf

And yeah, I'm kinda hoping that the sheer size of the flat will mean I only need a small radiator and boiler and hence will have a bit less to pay. Still wouldn't mind getting some more info on local plumbers that people have used so I can get a few quotes.

Why will I only get 60% of the cost?

The market's not dropping actually, it increased last quarter: http://www.aspc.co.uk/Documents/HousePrices-2008Q1.pdf

And yeah, I'm kinda hoping that the sheer size of the flat will mean I only need a small radiator and boiler and hence will have a bit less to pay. Still wouldn't mind getting some more info on local plumbers that people have used so I can get a few quotes.

On average you don't get the full cost back as far as I'm led to believe by surveyors, estate agents and those home improvement programmes on TV. CH and DG are the best I think, it may be as much as 80% actually. You are, at the end of the day, selling a second hand heating system with your flat so this might be why. It will increase your chances of selling it but you should maybe take some advice from the pros on whether it's worth it once you have a good idea of the cost.

Maybe you should look a bit closer at those figures, the average house price may have increased 2% in the first quarter this year but that was after two substantial decreases and it's still significantly lower than the second Q of last year, about 5% judging by the graph.

I have a small one bedroom flat in the King Street area of Aberdeen and I got the central heating replaced in October last year. New boiler and 5 new radiators and I think it cost about 3,000. I used North East Heating (or similar name, they have an office on King Street close to the Old Fire Station) and had no complaints. They always came on time and gave a good honest appraisal of what needed done and the cost. They also fixed a plumbing issue I was having for free. :up: