aberdeen-music

Shopping for specs

Lemonade

Guys, Im not talking about fancy frames.

I purchased new glasses last week and the optician spent around double the time with me during the eye test compared to Onehourblindsaversspecfuckers.

Ok, Im biast, I can afford decent glasses and I bought fancy frames. However, I want the best for eyes, its the second most important part of my body

" Onehourblindsaversspecfuckers."

Why do you call them that?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, Im not talking about fancy frames.

I purchased new glasses last week and the optician spent around double the time with me during the eye test compared to Onehourblindsaversspecfuckers.

Ok, Im biast, I can afford decent glasses and I bought fancy frames. However, I want the best for eyes, its the second most important part of my body

so what is your point...?

On the subject of vision, I noticed Optical Express offer laser surgery from 395 per eye. I've been wearing lenses for years now, and that seems to be a ridiculously good price for an alternative to poking myself in the eye every morning. However it's "from" 395- anyone had a consultation with them only to get shafted, or is it really that cheap?

Accurate vision is not a necessity? o_O

For me, no. I have never learned how to drive so legally it's not necessary. I don't have a job where good eyesight is required so financially it's not necessary. Due to the fact that I'm only slightly short-sighted I can function perfectly well without bins and did so for over 15 years.

On the subject of vision, I noticed Optical Express offer laser surgery from 395 per eye. I've been wearing lenses for years now, and that seems to be a ridiculously good price for an alternative to poking myself in the eye every morning. However it's "from" 395- anyone had a consultation with them only to get shafted, or is it really that cheap?

This will be the cheaper, more painful option unfortunately. From what I remember, they do one eye at a time and its a couple of weeks before they do the other one.

Some people aren't suitable for the surgery, as the operation is to basically burn the back of your eye with the lazer to correct your vision.

I had the more expensive option (both eyes at the same time), and it was a bit uncomfortable (no worse than a hangover though) but I could see perfectly 3 hours later. The after care is pretty full on - eye drops in yr eyes about 3 times a day for around a month and you have to wear "swimming goggles" for 24 hours after it and for a week whilst you sleep.

Because I respect my eyesight and want the best. Personally, I don't think that Specsavers are rigorous enough.

They way you were talking it sounded as if you thought they were incompetent to the point where it was dangerous but now it seems they're not quite rigorous enough for you.

There could be reasons for your recent test being more rigorous, maybe you passed the age threshold where they start to test for more diseases for example.

I understand that your eyesight is vitally important in your job and that you'd be a fool not to go for the best but that doesn't give you a licence to throw around highly emotive words like "blind" when describing a company's practices without any evidence to back it up.

They way you were talking it sounded as if you thought they were incompetent to the point where it was dangerous but now it seems they're not quite rigorous enough for you.

There could be reasons for your recent test being more rigorous, maybe you passed the age threshold where they start to test for more diseases for example.

I understand that your eyesight is vitally important in your job and that you'd be a fool not to go for the best but that doesn't give you a licence to throw around highly emotive words like "blind" when describing a company's practices without any evidence to back it up.

Ian, Im hardly saying that Specsavers provide incompetent eye tests.

31 is around the time that my eyes start to go downhill?

Ian, Im hardly saying that Specsavers provide incompetent eye tests.

31 is around the time that my eyes start to go downhill?

That's cleared that up then, I will continue to enjoy their cheap prices safe in the knowledge (for the moment) that they are competent enough for my needs.

I suppose when you're eyes start to go downhill varies quite a bit but from a bit of googling I know that glaucoma is a concern after 40 (unless you're in a high risk group). The eyes can also be an early indicator of diabetes so that will be a factor as well.

Looking at what specsavers say they do in eye tests and what independent people say eye tests should consist of I don't see any difference. There are "special" tests which should be done if there are medical reasons or your job/hobby has high demands of your eyesight, maybe specsavers skip those ones for non-medical reasons which is maybe why you think they weren't rigorous enough. Maybe not.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Go to Corry and Christie on George Street, formerly Eddie and Drummond. I've used them for the past 25 years. Free eye test, including the air-scoosh glaucoma test. Don't pick a pair with the stupidly-thick frames, you don't need them and you'll look like a self-harmer if you take those.

You dont want that, trust me...

:up:

I went to Tesco Opticians the other day and got buy one get one free on the designer frames. Had a pretty good range in too, started at 89 for the brand name ones.

60 to upgrade to thinner, fancier lenses as well. Seemed pretty good, but there's no one hour service or anything- takes around a week.

This will be the cheaper, more painful option unfortunately. From what I remember, they do one eye at a time and its a couple of weeks before they do the other one.

Some people aren't suitable for the surgery, as the operation is to basically burn the back of your eye with the lazer to correct your vision.

I had the more expensive option (both eyes at the same time), and it was a bit uncomfortable (no worse than a hangover though) but I could see perfectly 3 hours later. The after care is pretty full on - eye drops in yr eyes about 3 times a day for around a month and you have to wear "swimming goggles" for 24 hours after it and for a week whilst you sleep.

Is there any long term side effects from laser surgery? Is there a risk you could go blind 30 years down the line for example?

Always something I've considered but bit worried about the long term effects.

Guest bluesxman

I started looking into laser surgery a while back. Its from a certain price but as Jan says thats for one form of surgery, there are several different treatments that vary wildly in price. On top of that it depends on your eyes and what exactly needs done, i.e. I have astigmatism in addition to short sightedness and so chances are I would be at least a grand an eye.

I just cant quite take the leap of faith despite knowing several people who have had the treatment without problems, wearing specs doesnt bother me that much.

I just cant quite take the leap of faith despite knowing several people who have had the treatment without problems, wearing specs doesnt bother me that much.

I just like the idea of being able to buy cheap sunglasses and being able to see where I'm going when walking through a light drizzle.

I presume you've tried (and failed to get along with) contacts?

Used to wear contacts but it's an awful faff to put them in and take them out all the time (even with the disposable ones I had). Expensive as well. Also had a tendency to fall asleep drunk and wake up in the morning thinking I was miraculously cured.

Contacts are a total pain in the arse as well if you get any dust or whatever in you eye and my eyes are itchy enough from hayfever just now.

Might look into them again though, imagine the technology has moved on in the 10 years since I last tried them.

Prefer the idea of just being done with the whole thing, pay a lump sum for lasers in the eye and never bother about my eyesight again.

I just like the idea of being able to buy cheap sunglasses and being able to see where I'm going when walking through a light drizzle.

Ditto. I'd also like to walk into drummonds without falling down the stairs thanks to instantly steaming up....or when im gigging my glasses sliding down me nose..

Incidently i have a contacts appointment (again) this weekend...anyone know the cheapest/best place to get the lenses themselves? Im heading to asda to get the contacts test thingy done...

Is there any long term side effects from laser surgery? Is there a risk you could go blind 30 years down the line for example?

Always something I've considered but bit worried about the long term effects.

No there isn't a chance of your eyes dropping out or going blind, or anything like that later on in life.

The only side effect that I've had is that bright lights can be a bit much for me, but this can easily be solved by sun glasses. And it isn't permanent - since your eyesight deteriorates with age, I might need to wear glasses again when I'm 60.

Like every operation, there is a chance that it could all go horribly wrong, but I felt the risks outweighed the hassle and expense of contact lenses and glasses.

Yes, what happens when your eyes begin to change again mid-life (typically late-30s/40s) is my concern about laser work.

Otherwise, I remember some concerns about a higher than expected complications rate but that was a couple of years back.

Besides, I look like a tattie without my specs. :D

For me, no. I have never learned how to drive so legally it's not necessary. I don't have a job where good eyesight is required so financially it's not necessary. Due to the fact that I'm only slightly short-sighted I can function perfectly well without bins and did so for over 15 years.

So you basically accept mediocrity as a lifestyle choice.