aberdeen-music

Shopping for specs

Lemonade

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be in the same boat soon & frankly I'm dreading it - there have been too many big bills this year. :(

Not impressed by Boots last time I looked but if you don't have a pretty average prescription, Specsavers soon become one of the most expensive stores in town. Last time, they quoted me over 300 more than I eventually paid for a set of new frames & lenses.

i use duncan and todd as their service is particularly good and they keep a good stock of nice frames but they're not the cheapest. specsavers or boots are probably your best bet for cheapness.

Me too. Always feel slightly ripped off...but my mother once got glasses from spec savers, but cant wear them because theyre simply wrong, too strong or something.

aye, specsavers glasses start at 25 for the basic glasses, and go upto 125 for designer, 169 for superflex and all that shite. if you want a decent pair that look nae bad goto speccys on union street and look at the 70ish range, there are some really nice ones there. if you need a hand or dont see anything you like, ask to speak to lliam, he is the "instore merchandiser" and knows pretty much every frame they stock, or can order in.

oh, and their prices include lenses, not just frames

I use optical warehouse on rosemount.

cost me like 150 quid for my frames, lenses and fee (theres a club to join)

Good service/staff too.

yea my friend works there. they're good if you buy a lot of glasses but i'm not sure if it's worth joining for one pair every two years. i'll need to check it out.

Why would you scrimp regarding such an important part of your body?

It is not so much scrimping, more that some opticians charge well over the score for identical products. IME, you can often save several hundred pounds by simply shopping around a bit, esp if you get the make & code number of your preferred frames & know the lens spec ;)

One of the main problems with buying online is that it is easy to get the interpupillary allignment/ distance wrong & whilst you can do ok with it being out a bit, the specs will never be quite as good.

I went to D&A on Union St. Nice enough and they have a decent enough range of glasses. Mines were about 90 I think...

Since shops have started early with their summer sales the same thing might happen at the opticians. Maybe just spend an afternoon wandering aimlessly around town trying to find something?!

Guys, Im not talking about fancy frames.

I purchased new glasses last week and the optician spent around double the time with me during the eye test compared to Onehourblindsaversspecfuckers.

Ok, Im biast, I can afford decent glasses and I bought fancy frames. However, I want the best for eyes, its the second most important part of my body