aberdeen-music

The perfect cup of coffee

paime

grains in first. pour water half way. stir. as the waters whirlin around after you've stirred it fill the rest of the cup with milk.

additionally, add sugar to tase

When i'm making instant i put the milk in first otherwise the boiling water burns the coffee granules. Instant doesn't need to taste worse.

When i'm making instant i put the milk in first otherwise the boiling water burns the coffee granules. Instant doesn't need to taste worse.

But instant coffee should be made with hot, not boiling water anyway. ;)

Being with child as I am, I'm right off coffee just now and I think it was that cup of instant I had a few weeks ago that did it. Vile, horrid stuff. Problem is, the other half decided to drop the pot from the perculator, so we don't even have that now. I'm torn between getting him a new machine for his birthday or just telling him "tough titties, you shouldn't have broken the perculator, should you?".

But instant coffee should be made with hot, not boiling water anyway. ;)

Being with child as I am, I'm right off coffee just now and I think it was that cup of instant I had a few weeks ago that did it. Vile, horrid stuff. Problem is, the other half decided to drop the pot from the perculator, so we don't even have that now. I'm torn between getting him a new machine for his birthday or just telling him "tough titties, you shouldn't have broken the perculator, should you?".

The water is obviously lowered in temperature sufficiently enough not to burn the coffee granules by the milk. Most Kettle's don't just make water warm unfortunately.

I have a coffee grinder but ran out of beans and am yet to replace them.

Put ground coffee (either ground by my machine or pre-ground) into a filter coffee machine and let the water run through.

I add no milk or sugar.

Otherwise I use the espresso part of the machine but I reckon it is more sour than filter coffee and I usually prefer the taste of filter coffee over the Americano but it depends.

Instant coffee, I don't bother drinking even if it is the only thing available.

There is also a huge difference between the differnet sorts of coffee beans you get. Some I really don't like. Also, my mum foolishly bought a tesco own brand coffee machine and it made the coffee taste of metal.

The machine we have now was only marjinally more expensive (35) and does much more (espresso and foaming milk as well as filtering).

Single cup coffee filters are quite good but feel guilty becuase of how wasteful it is to use that much plastic just for a cup of coffee.

I really like coffee but it makes me sick if I drink too much.

I can just about drink one vanilla chai latte/cinnamon latte without getting too nauseous.

'Ere, how overpriced is coffee on the high street? I don't know why I always buy it; aint a patch on my homebrew with cream.

Haha cream in coffee sounds a bit wrong!

What is a Vanilla Chai Latte, I'm confused because Chai is tea, and the mere thought of a mixed tea/coffee combo is enough to summon St. Satan himself.

Hint, have 'special' coffee, its the best.

I get the vanilla chai latte from Books & Beans...not too sure how they make it but I promise it tastes good. It tastes really similar to a cinnamon latte, but smells a lot like chai tea. Maybe they use the same kinda spices from chai tea.

'Special' coffee? What makes it special? ?(

Guest Neutral

Water doesn't burn the granules.... All coffee tastes bad anyway

Guest Neutral
Of course it can. So can scalding hot milk. I guess you've never had a coffee from Starbucks or Costa then....

All i'm saying is that water cannot burn the coffee granules/beans. If i go for a cup of tea it is too a small local tearoom where the price isn't extortionate

I had a bit of a search to see if I could find the answer to the instant coffee scalding question (it's amazing how interesting some things become when there's a roof that needs painting).

I've seen various reasons for putting milk/a small amount of water in first. The most convincing to me was someone who said there were volatile chemicals that are lost when boiling water is used.

This could be true, according to this Coffee Brewing - CoffeeResearch.org it seems like the best temperature for coffee is between 90 and 96C.

Someone else also suggested that putting in the milk first stopped the high temperatures denaturing the proteins in the milk. This also seems to be borne out by investigation BBC NEWS | UK | How to make a perfect cuppa

Guest Neutral
I think it could be a mixture of both :D

It's from over roasting, for something to burn another thing it must be dry heat/cold

wet - scalding:up:

Overly hot water cannot! Burn the beans. This is an impossibility :up:

Over roasting on the other hand could explain it all

Or it could be that coffee just tastes like the backend of a cow

Guest Neutral
Bags? PFFT!

You need to get yourself a strainer, Sir. I actually have Harrods loose leaf English Breakfast at home and it's the bomb diggy for when I fancy a cuppa. You can get a lot of funky teas from MacBeans too. You'll be off Tetley for good once you try the proper stuff.

Back to coffee... I wouldn't class myself as a proper coffee drinker as I tend to drink mochas. I also don't make it myself as I hardly drink it and instant coffee tastes like arseholes. I'm just a full blown Starbucks fan, they even have one at my work. Mmmm.

For real coffee people though You can get a little baby grinder thing from MacBeans. I bought one for Neil a couple of Christmas' ago and they cost about 30-35 and it's withstood a lot of abuse from him. I actually really miss the smell of coffee in the house as I never make it at home - see blurb about tea above.

I also recommend Fennel Tea. You can get it from health food stores. It's quite tasty and it settles your tummy if you've eaten too much for your dinner. :]

Tea strainers are excellent, however, the handiness is not so much

I had a bit of a search to see if I could find the answer to the instant coffee scalding question (it's amazing how interesting some things become when there's a roof that needs painting).

I've seen various reasons for putting milk/a small amount of water in first. The most convincing to me was someone who said there were volatile chemicals that are lost when boiling water is used.

This could be true, according to this Coffee Brewing - CoffeeResearch.org it seems like the best temperature for coffee is between 90 and 96C.

Someone else also suggested that putting in the milk first stopped the high temperatures denaturing the proteins in the milk. This also seems to be borne out by investigation BBC NEWS | UK | How to make a perfect cuppa

again with the milk!....

black, like my men!

If you do put milk in first, you get ginger babies.

be warned.