aberdeen-music

The perfect cup of coffee

paime

Yeah I just rinse mine with hot water, apparently the flavour improves with the age of the machine.

These are good too for a bit of variation, the coffee needs to be ground almost to dust though.

Yeah - I remember telling my girlfriend how great I was at making "proper" coffee (I used to work in a gourmet coffee house in Oz) and was duly invited to make a coffee on her Dads rather expensive home coffee machine. Upon making an absolute tits of it; I utilized the good old :

"Oh its because the er...coffee ...wasn't ground up enough..."

I'm secretly adamant that it was the silly bloody machine though - it took ages to warm up and didn't really heat the milk as well as it should do.

:moody:

Coffee is the awesomeness. Definitely recommend the cafetiere approach if you are used to instant speeds. I have it at my side whilst eating cereal at breakfast and then you are ready for the push when your bowl is empty.

Thanks for the tip about Macbeans earlier in the thread - just run out of ground so will be checking it out tomorrow.

Guest Neutral
It was only a matter of time before tea edged its way into this conversation. Don't get me wrong, i like tea, but it just doesn't sort you out like coffee does. It's like using one of those nicorrette inhalers instead of smoking a real fag.

The thing is and im sure im not the only one but I dont get any effect from coffee ditto for red bull and other caffiene laden drinks

Guest Neutral
stop drinking it for 3-4 days then see how you get on, if that's the case.

I hardly ever drink it, maybe once a month i have some red bull always for the flavour

I heard that the Beans building is having another Cafe fucking Nero moving into it (in case you couldn't be bothered walking the 100 yards or so to the one already on Union Street - not that you'd want to). Unbelievable.

Frankly, I'd rather another Nero than most of the other chains & I'd certainly prefer that over yet another pub.

Metarie. Any idea if the place is going to be open into the evening yet?

i use an espresso machine. i've not tried it with ground coffee yet as it came with a pack of pods but they ran out yesterday and

Think about a proper espresso machine & a grinder - You will find a much better range of coffees & probably end-up paying a whole lot less than for the posd. Which are not even recycled in the UK IIRC?

This firm is worth remembering:

Freshly roasted coffee from Hasbean

Especially if you are into roasting your own - Apparently the next big thing in coffee. :)

Thenew Cafe Nero will be open 7am til 7pm like the existing one, because it's part of a chain it won't be doing the live music etc that Beans did.

Like I say, not a fan of coffee house chains in general, but the coffee is better than Starbucks in my opinion.

I seem to be fully trained in the making of all kinds of hot beverages now. And iced ones. Fuck yeah. 4 years of University education and this is where I end up. :rolleyes: Don't study English, kids :p

Think about a proper espresso machine & a grinder - You will find a much better range of coffees & probably end-up paying a whole lot less than for the posd. Which are not even recycled in the UK IIRC?

This firm is worth remembering:

Freshly roasted coffee from Hasbean

Especially if you are into roasting your own - Apparently the next big thing in coffee. :)

it is a proper espresso machine, it's just that you can use pods as well if you choose to. i have now tried it with ground coffee and it worked a treat.

the pods are crazy expensive so i won't be buying them again but there is a good argument for them. as i am the only person in my house that drinks coffee it can be quite tricky getting through a bag of ground coffee before it goes stale. at least with pods i'm guaranteed a fresh brew every time. we have a big fancy nespresso machine at work and they're pretty tasty.

in saying that, i much prefer the act of creating a perfect coffee by hand.

I usually buy freshly ground in small quantities, like 150g's or so and keep it in the fridge for freshness.

I thought that was a bad place to keep it?

Coffee Storage Myths; Freeze Your Fresh Roasted Coffee and Other Popular Miscon

"Simply put, Never ever, unless you are conducting a science experiment on how long it takes to ruin perfectly good coffee. The fridge is one of the absolute worst places to put coffee. The reasons why not to freeze fresh roasted coffee also apply here."

I thought that was a bad place to keep it?

Coffee Storage Myths; Freeze Your Fresh Roasted Coffee and Other Popular Miscon

"Simply put, Never ever, unless you are conducting a science experiment on how long it takes to ruin perfectly good coffee. The fridge is one of the absolute worst places to put coffee. The reasons why not to freeze fresh roasted coffee also apply here."

in my experience, I find it stays fresher for longer in a sealed container in the fridge rather than in an opaque kilner jar out of the fridge (where I used to keep it). I use it all up within a week to 10 days usually anyway.

yea i'm a bit torn on the whole fridge/freezer/cupboard thing. at the moment i'm keeping my coffee in it's resealable bag which in turn is in an airtight screwtop jar in my cupboard. hopefully that'll keep it nice and fresh for a good couple of weeks at least.

once i've done this pack i might have to look at getting a grinder and buying small amounts of beans at a time. though that should probably wait till i have a bigger kitchen to store all this coffee related goodness.

it is a proper espresso machine, it's just that you can use pods as well if you choose to. i have now tried it with ground coffee and it worked a treat.

Good! The pods, wastage involved plus the limited choice of overpriced coffee used just boils my piss!

I suppose the idea is to make real coffee as easy as instant for the microwave generation?

Anyway, buying small amounts of beans & a grinder is the way to go. Argos used to do a decent little grinder for around a tenner if that helps.

Or of course, you could drink more coffee - Problem solved! :up:

once i've done this pack i might have to look at getting a grinder and buying small amounts of beans at a time. though that should probably wait till i have a bigger kitchen to store all this coffee related goodness.

I've got a small electric grinder and it's not much bigger than a can of beans so having a small kitchen is no excuse.

I've got a small electric grinder and it's not much bigger than a can of beans so having a small kitchen is no excuse.

evidently you haven't seen my kitchen. but if you can get teeny little ones then i may check it out.

flat goes on the market this week though so hopefully i'll have a nice big dining kitchen soon :)

evidently you haven't seen my kitchen. but if you can get teeny little ones then i may check it out.

flat goes on the market this week though so hopefully i'll have a nice big dining kitchen soon :)

You can't tell me much about small kitchens, my espresso machine won't fit which is why I only have the stove-top maker.

I'm looking to move soon as well and a decent sized kitchen is near the top of my priority list. Leave the small kitchens to people who's taste buds have been destroyed by too many ready-meals.

I tried out my ancient barbie pink 2 spout stove top espresso thingy just now and what came out looked like coffee, smelt like coffee...tasted like I was sucking on a handful of small change. And yes it'd been cleaned out.

Gah. Horrific.

You're not supposed to clean them out.

Maybe that was your point?

well it'd been sitting in my cupboard for years so I rinsed it out so it was clean, god knows when I used it last. It just tasted metallic and very bitter.

If it was rinsed until it was clean you probably removed the protective layer which stops the aluminium from reacting with the water, that'll be the metallic taste you had. Boil it up a few times, you don't need coffee in it, and it should be ok. I'm not even allowed to take a bit of kitchen roll to the inside of mine by my better half, it's practically a hanging offence in Italy so she says

also use it on the lowest hob you have on the lowest setting, if you have the heat too high it will work too quickly and become bitter. It should take about 8-10 minutes to finish, just turn it off once it starts making gurgling noises.

Overboiling has the same effect. I've got to be really careful now I have this anti-splutter thing on it, I can't hear it reaching the end of it's run. Saves a lot of cleaning up if you're a few seconds late though.