aberdeen-music

The perfect cup of coffee

paime

What is the best way to make coffee? Do you:

Put the granules in, hot water and then sugar/milk?

Put the granules, sugar and milk in and then hot water?

Put the hot water in and then add the rest?

Its a topic of hot debate in my office right now - the stresses of every day working life...

I use a cafetierre. It's important to get a slightly rough grind for cafetierres or your coffee will be foamy/silty. As average as it is, the Starfucks ground coffee is actually quite acceptable for cafetierres, if you don't have a grinder (like me.) Most of the other supermarket brands are made for perculators, really.

I just add a splash of milk and a smallish sugar.

I use a cafetierre. It's important to get a slightly rough grind for cafetierres or your coffee will be foamy/silty. As average as it is, the Starfucks ground coffee is actually quite acceptable for cafetierres, if you don't have a grinder (like me.) Most of the other supermarket brands are made for perculators, really.

I just add a splash of milk and a smallish sugar.

MacBeans have plenty of good coffee for cafitieres, and you will be supporting a local business too rather than some global behemoth.

i use an espresso machine. i've not tried it with ground coffee yet as it came with a pack of pods but they ran out yesterday and i've got a couple of packs of organic costa rican dark roast waiting to be opened when i get home today. before that i had a percolator but my wife doesn't drink coffee and i found it a bit of a waste of time making a pot for one cup.

before that i had a percolator but my wife doesn't drink coffee and i found it a bit of a waste of time making a pot for one cup.

Didn't we have this conversation when I was round? Unless you had something that looked like the picture Stripey posted, it wasn't a percolator.

MacBeans have plenty of good coffee for cafitieres, and you will be supporting a local business too rather than some global behemoth.

I keep meaning to check that place out. Maybe I'll treat myself to some Kona coffee, or however you spell it. That is da baum!

I especially like Old Brown Java with a splash of milk. Very smooth.

Invest in a grinder and some fresh roast beans from the aforementioned local shop. The smell of grinding the stuff gives me almost as much pleasure as drinking the stuff. I use a cafetiere normally, or a Chemex filter pot for speed.

...I'm off for a cup of MacBean's Guatemala. No sugar.

I started working in Cafe Nero (yes,I'll be working in the new one...about 50 yards away from the new Starbucks...utter madness) this week and got a huge list of things a good cup of coffee (especially an espresso) should have or be. To be honest, apart from my usual vanilla latte in kilau I don't drink milky coffees that often. It's impossible to make a good espresso or short black coffee at home. You ended up burning the coffee, not having enough pressure or whatever. My espresso machine at home take about 30 mins to make a decent one and I can't be hooped waiting.

So hurrah for my new job and free caffeine :D

What Stripey posted isn't a percolator either, you can tell by the safety valve in the base.

Yup, you're correct:

Naming convention

The Moka Express is often incorrectly considered a type of percolator, since its brewing cycle also includes a stage in which hot water is raised from a lower chamber via steam pressure. Percolation is properly a type of drip-brew process in which steam pressure recirculates hot water for multiple brewing passes. In percolation, water moves passively (percolates) down through the coffee due to gravity and is recirculated, while in Moka brewing, it is forced once up through the coffee under pressure ("pressurized infusion" [1]).

Coffee percolator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moka Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Heh, I like how the picture shows the main drawback to this type of machine, melty handle syndrome.

Nevertheless they produce the best tasting coffee imo.

I'm told that you should never wash these machines either, just rinse them in water.

I've got a small one, but it's base isn't wide enough for my hob. Hrmm.