aberdeen-music

My Bloody Valentine next week!

Guest idol_wild

Last night was fantastic! Fears of looking forward to it too much and being disappointed were quickly quelled. Wouldn't be too surprised if a few more dolphins are found to have swum up the Clyde and beached themselves after You Made Me Realise though.

Folks going tonight are in for a real treat. :)

Missed The Pastels though, anyone catch them? How were they?

Guest idol_wild

I walked out after less than an hour tonight.

Major disappointment.

I found it entirely pointless - I literally couldn't hear the vocals, so essentially it was a bunch of poorly mixed pointless instrumentals.

I was getting angry and could feel the veins in my forehead begin to bulge.

Bleh.

i was surprised by how clearly the vocals came across on weds, given the number of reviews/accounts i'd read describing how low-end was all that could be heard.

whereabouts were you standing?

i wouldn't say that the performance exceeded my expectations, it was pretty much exactly what i expected, i was happy enough with that

and i still have a massive crush on belinda butcher

Pastels were ok. I liked their style but very much a one-trick pony.

MBV were great for the most part I thought, agree upon the vocals though and the last half hour was the ridiculous waste of time and electricity ever. Pointless, self-indulgent and it wasn't surprising to see half the crowd leave.

Kinda shocked by the comments about the vocals to be honest... Sure they were low down in the mix but you kinda expect that listening to the records.

I thought they were pretty good. Not the most mind blowing gig ever but it was pretty much as I expected... Apart from the light show. That was awesome. Wasn't expecting that at all.

Got bored very quickly during You Made Me Realise though... Went to the bar, not a bad thing.

The only disappointment was that some guy walked into me and gave me a bleeding nose!

hardly anyone left during "you made me realise" on wednesday

i was surprised to see them actually finish the song

I thought the gig was excellent although couldn't hear the vocals that well but the noise was amazing. As for that song - what was the point of 20 minutes of shite which people may call art. I was fucking deaf for about 1/2hr after the gig - maybe that was their point and i did wonder why the they was handing out ear plugs.

on a related topic, has anyone heard the recordings of the collaboration between kevin shields and patti smith, "the coral sea", which is finally seeing a proper release this year?

if shields' work on this is anything like what the next mbv album will sound like i might not actually be disappointed by it.