aberdeen-music

Question for tenement dwellers

Le Stu

Right! That is the logic I was working by.

However, the ground floor has B on the left. I don't understand why, it's not like we're in fucking Tel Aviv...

that is quite clearly the work of a madman. why would you start with b on the left? who decided that there would be letters anyway? why is it up for discussion? surely if someone's told you to have letters then they would allocate them right?

all sounds very disorganised. you should switch the bottom flats letters in the middle of the night. that would fix it.

confusingly my block uses both letters and numbers. we have numbers on our doors(some of us) but use letters officially.

that is quite clearly the work of a madman. why would you start with b on the left? who decided that there would be letters anyway? why is it up for discussion? surely if someone's told you to have letters then they would allocate them right?

all sounds very disorganised. you should switch the bottom flats letters in the middle of the night. that would fix it.

confusingly my block uses both letters and numbers. we have numbers on our doors(some of us) but use letters officially.

If letters went out, I missed it! In fact, the snotty letter I got from the council, advising me that I need to remove my ariels and gutter scurf, did not reference this new fangled letter scheme. It's official, though! In a database. Every time I order anything online I get a choice of A-H.

I believe the ground floor flats are council property. Probably polish pikeys living there. I dare not mess with their frontage!

i would contact the council planning deparment and see if they know. if it's on a database somewhere then it's probably officially designated so they should have a note. if you own your flat it might even be on your deeds which you should have a copy of.

Guest Neutral

Im not gettiing why this is a problem?(

when I lived in rosemount my flat was on the left and it was B

or you could just pick an unallocated letter and stick it on your door.......

Im not gettiing why this is a problem?(

when I lived in rosemount my flat was on the left and it was B

or you could just pick an unallocated letter and stick it on your door.......

I could pick 'I' just to fuck with tha system. Dig?

You bring an element of consistency, I must admit. There are but two reasons why the fuck the flat on the left, in a tenement, should be B:

1: Once you go up the first flight, everything is reversed.

2: The layout on the security entry panel may govern letter designation.

I must also say that I got drunk in The Gilk a few months back and it was suprisingly pleasent. I say suprisingly as Rosemount is a well known minkhole!

I could pick 'I' just to fuck with tha system. Dig?

You bring an element of consistency, I must admit. There are but two reasons why the fuck the flat on the left, in a tenement, should be B:

1: Once you go up the first flight, everything is reversed.

2: The layout on the security entry panel may govern letter designation.

I must also say that I got drunk in The Gilk a few months back and it was suprisingly pleasent. I say suprisingly as Rosemount is a well known minkhole!

the gilcomston's a fine wee pub, i live round the corner from it. good for the football as well, though it is full of celtic fans(better than being full of rangers fans anyway).

rosemounts nae a minkhole! well, not all of it. :)

the gilcomston's a fine wee pub, i live round the corner from it. good for the football as well, though it is full of celtic fans(better than being full of rangers fans anyway).

rosemounts nae a minkhole! well, not all of it. :)

I rate The Gilk. They had a wee tray with lemons in water to go with our cheap tokillya shots. Pure class. Unfortunately, their taps seem completely rank, but I get that it's a proper Scottish pub, so that fits.

I jest concernign rosemount's minkieness. It's a bit minky, but so is a lot of Aberdeen. It's just that Rosemount doesn't stack it's minkieness in 20 stories!

I say suprisingly as Rosemount is a well known minkhole!

Really? I'd say, aside from Rosemount Square, it's better than a lot of areas. There are certainly much worse areas in Aberdeen Central (you just have to cross Berryden Road for example).

It's got it's fair share of druggies but in the end, because of it's location, Rosemount is full of students, nurses and young professionals.

Really? I'd say, aside from Rosemount Square, it's better than a lot of areas. There are certainly much worse areas in Aberdeen Central (you just have to cross Berryden Road for example).

It's got it's fair share of druggies but in the end, because of it's location, Rosemount is full of students, nurses and young professionals.

Who're also druggies! TEH TURTH!!!!

Nah, you're right, it's quite nice. Better than a living in a tent in Seaton park, anyhoo!

when picking flat letters i think it is all to do with the stairs, after the ground floor. assuming only two flats per floor:

- on the ground floor, left is A and B is right, unless the right door is closer in which case it might be A.

- thereafter, the rule of the stairs applies. which ever flat door is consecutively next by the stairs takes the next letter.

therefore, first floor, with stairs by the right, the Right door is C and the Left door is by D.

by contrast with stairs on the left, Left door is C and Right door is D.

of course you can bypass all this guff for most people and make up your own address. i always registered my address beginning "First Floor Right, etc. etc". It is irrelevant in any case as most tenements have a single mailbox.

when i lived in edinburgh it was much better. each flat was named by the floor and then the order of door on the floor, i.e. 1F2 was second floor on the first floor. and each tenement had a services button, meaning you could sleep in someone else's tenements if you lost your keys/couldn't find your way home/other excuse required by drunkenness.

when picking flat letters i think it is all to do with the stairs, after the ground floor. assuming only two flats per floor:

- on the ground floor, left is A and B is right, unless the right door is closer in which case it might be A.

- thereafter, the rule of the stairs applies. which ever flat door is consecutively next by the stairs takes the next letter.

therefore, first floor, with stairs by the right, the Right door is C and the Left door is by D.

of course you can bypass all this guff for most people and make up your own address. i always registered my address beginning "First Floor Right, etc. etc". It is irrelevant in any case as most tenements have a single mailbox.

when i lived in edinburgh it was much better. each flat was named by the floor and then the order of door on the floor, i.e. 1F2 was second floor on the first floor. and each tenement had a services button, meaning you could sleep in someone else's tenements if you lost your keys/couldn't find your way home/other excuse required by drunkenness.

Excellent! This makes total sense. It also means I'm completely wrong and my flat is G.

The Edinburgh nomenclature (if that is the correct term which is unlikely) makes a lot more sense. Aberdeen council should be fired and replaced with Kelly Services temps, IMO.

my flat is C yet I'm the 2nd door you pass on the 1st floor.

1st floor left is also up for discussion. Who's left do you take? Left from the stairs inside the flat or left as you face the flat standing outside? My flat is 1st floor left according to the council and hydro yet when I went to get my parking permit my neighbour had registered her car as that.

it's left as you face the flat from outside. that's a fact fo sho.

But then I'd be 1st floor right. And I'm not. No-one sends mail to me as that ever. To me it makes more sense that as you come up onto the first floor you take the door to the actual flat as the address, so I'm first floor left. Which is where the Hydro and the council send me mail.

Don't suppose it matters as long as everyone in the building follows the same logic really.