aberdeen-music

F/S: mid 60's WEM CLubman MKII combo

His Majesty

For sale: Rare mid 60's WEM Clubman MKII.

This is quite a rare model, more information can be found here: The WEM Clubman

The amp is fully working and as far as I am aware original externally and internally including the speaker. Valve wise it currently has one Tesla EZ81, a G/E EL84 and a yellow print Mullard ECC81 fitted.

A simple volume and tone control set up, the amp switches on via the tone control. There is some crackling when the amp is first turned on, but this settles down after a minute or so. Like most old amps it could do with a service, but it works fine enough as it is.

The front Aluminum grille is loose. I believe this actual combo would have had a silver/grey strip along the bottom which would have held the grille in place. I have seen similar models with screws on each corner holding it in place(I don't think that is a stock feature though). The grille is quite thin so some screws on either corner would be an easy fix.

It's a great sounding practice/home recording amp with a nice warm overdrive at full volume. It really comes alive with the addition of a rangemaster type treble booster... Sound clips of the amp can be found here: MySpace.com - WEM Clubman MKII - UK - Other - www.myspace.com/wemclubmanmkii

200 ono

DSC03868.jpg

DSC03859.jpg

DSC03869.jpg

DSC03870.jpg

DSC03871.jpg

DSC03874.jpg

Clubman

They only do clean - except they have 0 headroom, so at 10 watts, you are pretty much straight into that sweeeeet clip zone. Not as cute as the dansette finish early ones, but could be a real find. If it was in Edinburgh, at 100 less usual haggle, I would own it in a mo'. Someone should grab it kwik.

The amp is all valve(see pics), about 6 watts, but sounds louder at full tilt. It has one Channel, but two inputs one high(solo) and one low(rhythm)and with volume and tone. The amp switches on via the tone control.

Saying it only does clean is a bit misleading. Most vintage amps up to about the early 70's didn't have a master volume, this meant that in order to get overdrive you had to turn them up loud. That's when you get in to natural power valve overdrive/saturation. 8-)

Clubman

Aye - it only does clean at a bedroom level, due to lack of headroom.

It overdrives right away.

Also, since it was designed to amplify older/British & Italian/low output single coil pickups, a hot humbucker loads the preamp and you get full tilt on anything over "1". Yes!

• 2 months later...