aberdeen-music

Radiohead support

Alphas

I fail to see the appeal in paying extortionate sums of money to watch someone play a song you've heard endless times before on a cd you can probably buy in asda. Unless of course you idolise the band and think that seeing them perform live somehow brings you closer to them, or think that in 50 years time you'll tell your grandkids "i saw radiohead live in 08".

Depends what you class as 'extortionate' tho?

Im not the biggest Radiohead fan but i don't mind spending 25 to go and enjoy myself. Beats sitting on here night, after night, after night, after night. There's a whole world out there Stripey :up:

Yeah you should try exploring it, if you can break away from your slavish pavlovian responses to mainstream popular culture and begin to think.

You are such a cunt Stripey. Who are you to tell other people how they should live their lives? Nobody wants you on this forum, you contribute nothing but negative responses to just about everything, why dont you just fuck off, eh? Hateful, arrogant little man.

You are such a cunt Stripey. Who are you to tell other people how they should live their lives? Nobody wants you on this forum, you contribute nothing but negative responses to just about everything, why dont you just fuck off, eh? Hateful, arrogant little man.

l

o

l

this is a discussion forum, not a radiohead fanclub. I'm not telling anyone how to live their lives, that is just the usual reaction of insecure people who cannot tolerate a difference of opinion. You might even come to understand that yourself one day, when you grow up.

Yeah you should try exploring it, if you can break away from your slavish pavlovian responses to mainstream popular culture and begin to think.

Out of interest, what exactly do you mean by that? Is that because of his feelings on paying to see bands?

I fail to see the appeal in paying extortionate sums of money to watch someone play a song you've heard endless times before on a cd you can probably buy in asda. Unless of course you idolise the band and think that seeing them perform live somehow brings you closer to them, or think that in 50 years time you'll tell your grandkids "i saw radiohead live in 08".

How does this compare to DJs then? are you even more gullible for paying money to go into a club to see some faceless individual play a CD that he probably bought in Asda?

How does this compare to DJs then? are you even more gullible for paying money to go into a club to see some faceless individual play a CD that he probably bought in Asda?

Oh I certainly wouldn't pay to listen to someone shit like that (i.e "DJs" like Dave at exodus).

Oh I certainly wouldn't pay to listen to someone shit like that (i.e "DJs" like Dave at exodus).

So you would only pay to see (hear?) a DJ that you though wasn't shit?

But surely the fact remains that seeing a DJ - any DJ - is comparable in a sense to watching a band. In fact, that raises the question as to whether watching a DJ is comparable to watching a covers band - are both not playing other peoples material?

And surely any entertainment event could be deconstructed and dismissed using your line of thinking - why watch a play when it could be filmed once & watched on DVD? Why watch a movie when you could read the book? Why attend a football match when you could be playing in the park with jumpers as goalposts?

I see what you are saying but where do you draw the line? What is and isn't slavish pavlovian reponses to mainstream poular culture, as you put it, and what's just people attending an event as a leisure activity and, god forbid, actually enjoying it?

So you would only pay to see (hear?) a DJ that you though wasn't shit?

Your whole concept of what a DJ does is totally skewed.

I would pay to go to a club night with a good DJ that's likely to drop some fresh dubs and knows how to mix. I wouldn't pay 25+ quid to "see" someone like q-bert though.

But surely the fact remains that seeing a DJ - any DJ - is comparable in a sense to watching a band.

In fact' date=' that raises the question as to whether watching a DJ is comparable to watching a covers band - are both not playing other peoples material?

[/quote']

No, it isn't comparable atall. Nobody goes to "see" or "watch" a DJ. Yes, they play other peoples tracks (oh no!), but part of the appeal of a good DJ (for me anyway) is their access to dubs, they are helping people discover new music. Otherwise you can wait 6 months or a year or whatever before the tunes come out in the shops and people at the bottom of the foodchain start playing them out.

No, it isn't comparable atall. Nobody goes to "see" or "watch" a DJ. Yes, they play other peoples tracks (oh no!), but part of the appeal of a good DJ (for me anyway) is their access to dubs, they are helping people discover new music. Otherwise you can wait 6 months or a year or whatever before the tunes come out in the shops and people at the bottom of the foodchain start playing them out.

so, what you are effectively saying is that you pay money to hear someone dictate your musical taste?

Your whole concept of what a DJ does is totally skewed.

I would pay to go to a club night with a good DJ that's likely to drop some fresh dubs and knows how to mix. I wouldn't pay 25+ quid to "see" someone like q-bert though.

You sound like such a good laugh Stripey.

Bet your the "life and soul" of any party and chicks totally dig your dub chat.:up:

Your ideas and opinions are so spiteful, bitter and negative... not to mention totally flawed.

You talk alot of shit and need to cheer up.

You sound like such a good laugh Stripey.

Bet your the "life and soul" of any party and chicks totally dig your dub chat.:up:

Your ideas and opinions are so spiteful, bitter and negative... not to mention totally flawed.

You talk alot of shit and need to cheer up.

Hey if you don't have anything meaningful to say, don't bother posting.

No, that's not what I'm saying atall actually.

well, what are you saying?

i'm trying to understand here - what's so objectionable about seeing a band play live but paying to hear a DJ play isn't?

is it the thought of hearing "new" music? the thought of staying ahead of the game? do you object to bands playing mammoth tours supporting an album that could be a couple of years old?

do you not watch bands at all (and I don't just mean "rock" bands here)?

i'm trying to drag the post back from it's descent into the ever-expected name calling here....

• Upvote 1

well, what are you saying?

i'm trying to understand here - what's so objectionable about seeing a band play live but paying to hear a DJ play isn't?

is it the thought of hearing "new" music? the thought of staying ahead of the game? do you object to bands playing mammoth tours supporting an album that could be a couple of years old?

do you not watch bands at all (and I don't just mean "rock" bands here)?

i'm trying to drag the post back from it's descent into the ever-expected name calling here....

The "point" is hearing music you haven't heard before and otherwise wouldn't know about or have access to. It's as simple as that.

And no, I don't really watch live music.

The "point" is hearing music you haven't heard before and otherwise wouldn't know about or have access to. It's as simple as that.

ok, that's fair enough - if you feel watching a band is somehow a nostlgic, reassuring action & hearing a DJ playing un-heard new is a new, progressive action then you're entitled to that opinion as much as anyone is entitled to go see Radiohead.

Out of curiosity, how do you find out the tracks played by the DJ? Is the act of listening to them in a club enough or do you need to obtain these tracks and listen to them at home or wheerever?

and at what point does listening to a track become a retrogressive act?

So you will pay to see a dj just in the hope that she/he will drop a dub/track you have never heard before?

Then do you go up to said dj when they have played said dub and get them to write it down for you so you can look it up later?

If your going to see a dj they are typically of a specific genre (techno, house, dub-step etc) so the music isnt really that "new"... if you see what Im saying.

It will be a similar bpm, beat and vibe of all the other tracks they will play.

On the "seeing" a dj front. The likes of DJ Yoda (who you probably hate) is very visual experiance.

What about when a live band play a version of a song they do but muck around with it, extend the bridge, maybe have a singalong bit with the audience, or bang it out different to the recorded version..eg Radioheads live version of Idioteque on Friday.

That not count as hearing somthing you havent heard before and dont otherwise have access to?

What about new bands touring new materail yet to be released?

ok, that's fair enough - if you feel watching a band is somehow a nostlgic, reassuring action & hearing a DJ playing un-heard new is a new, progressive action then you're entitled to that opinion as much as anyone is entitled to go see Radiohead.

No, I feel that paying over the odds to see a mainstream band you've heard millions of times before perform their reportoire seems utterly pointless, as I said in my inital post.

I'd rather broaden my horizons and hear something fresh than line the pockets of people like radiohead. But of course, as you say, people are entitled to do what they like.

Out of curiosity' date=' how do you find out the tracks played by the DJ? Is the act of listening to them in a club enough or do you need to obtain these tracks and listen to them at home or wheerever? [/quote']

Well these days people usually put archives of sets online, or at the least a tracklist.