aberdeen-music

Avg 8.0

Frosty Jack

Anyone else had problems with the latest version? I upgraded to v8 a couple of days ago and christalmighty my computer is like wading through syrup. There seems to be a lot of posts on various forums (inc AVG) about it - any of our resident geeks know anything about it? I'm just about to uninstall and go for Avast instead, unless you have a better idea?

i wouldn't bother with avg, their virus db is always out of date because they have no in-house research capability, and the software itself is really irritating.

If the machine is running really slowly, are you sure it's not just because avg is running a filesystem scan in the background?

i wouldn't bother with avg, their virus db is always out of date because they have no in-house research capability, and the software itself is really irritating.

If the machine is running really slowly, are you sure it's not just because avg is running a filesystem scan in the background?

Fancy suggesting a good alternative? Last time I tried Avast it was full of false positives.

From what I can gather, the new version has all sorts of stuff going on, but the main problem seems to be a Link scanner which runs constantly checking everything on the page. It's horrendous, and tbh the way the mods have responded on the AVG forums has put me right off them anyway. I reckon I'm going to go with Avast for now anyway until I hear of a better one.

might also be something to do with this

AVG scanner blasts internet with fake traffic | The Register

though i doubt it would 'slow' your computer.

i recently installed avg after uninstalling corporate norton (twas out of date by about 15 months) and pretty damn quickly uninstalled it again after my laptop turned into digital porridge with extra molasses. i am now going commando but haven't noticed anything untoward except speed increases. infact that is rather untoward for windows.

• 2 weeks later...